Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My first Serotta, 1996 CSI

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-07-17, 07:15 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts

A total impulse buy but it looks like it may have been a good one. I've been trying for years to get a decent one locally but kept missing out. Another one showed up a few weeks ago and while researching prices online I found the one I wound up buying. It's a 1996 CSI that was described as full Chorus setup but the FD is Record. I'm not knowledgeable on the various Campagnolo families to know for sure what all it has.

I just got it in and unpacked but on first look it appears to be in great shape. Very few chips or other marks in the paint. Components look pretty good too. It has all the appearances of a used but well loved bike. This one does have the optional carbon fork. I read an article about the development of the fork and I've got no concerns about it still be safe. It is a 56cm bike but it's also my tallest 56cm. I guess I've got yet another project to keep my busy this winter.

I'm so curious about how this will ride. Just putting it back together I noticed how each tube seems to be "customized", tapered, ovalized, etc.

Oh, and if it matters the bike weighs in right at 21 lbs as pictured below. They are just some quick crude cellphone pics for now.

Going to give it a good going over tonight during the football game. Hubs and headset feel really good so I don't think it's been neglected at all.
Old 12-07-17, 09:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Well, after a good cleaning and wax I'm amazed by how nice the paint really is. Hardly any marks. The underside of the bottom bracket and the downtube are especially clean. Don't know if that means very little use or that these have a tough paint job. Mechanicals are next and deciding what to do about the mismatched rims.

The serial number tells me it was the 625th CSI made.
Old 12-07-17, 09:17 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice bike. Congrats!
Old 12-08-17, 06:58 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Beautiful bike! Serotta made a lot of nice bikes in the 80's and 90's. I wish they were still around.
Old 12-08-17, 09:10 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
Beautiful bike! Serotta made a lot of nice bikes in the 80's and 90's. I wish they were still around.
He is around, i follow him on Instagram (Ben Serotta) and he is making frames, albeit at a much lower production now-- i think its just him doing it as a retirement gig

Pricing naturally is up there, but its on par with Richard Sachs (or any number of belly button carbon framesets)
Old 12-08-17, 09:14 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by jamesdak

all.
Makes me thirsty for a Coors Light !
Old 12-08-17, 09:33 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by DMC707
Makes me thirsty for a Coors Light !
LOL, that's certainly how it was being described on the bay but I don't know if it's right. The other Coors bikes I found were a different color scheme. I really wasn't even certain about if the price was good but now that it's in I'm certainly happy with it. In my book the condition, quality workamanship, etc make this one a good buy.

Now reality might be a different story, LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 12-08-17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 12:20 PM
DMC707

LOL, that's certainly how it was being described on the bay but I don't know if it's right. The other Coors bikes I found were a different color scheme. I really wasn't even certain about if the price was good but now that it's in I'm certainly happy with it. In my book the condition, quality workamanship, etc make this one a good buy.

Now reality might be a different story, LOL!
No -- your right , this is a pic from '91 from Davis Phinney's book, --- bike does not have any blue on it at all

The kit had a lot of blue in it though, so maybe that's what skewed my faded memory

single pivot brakes on this bike -- must be a pretty early shot, or perhaps that was a Phinney preference

I remember having to step in between long time Coors Light guy Roberto Gaggioli and an acquaintance of mine in , perhaps 97 or 98 at the Hotter n Hell Hundred -- Gaggioli was supposedly drafting him in the time trial and when confronted about it, Gaggioli punched him in the face and a scrum ensued

I can understand his frustration if at the tail end of his career, he was drafting Cat 2's who weren't full time cyclists ---
but I cant remember what team he was with then or if Coors Light was even a team in '97 --- brain fade from too many Coors Lights perhaps
Old 12-08-17, 01:14 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sweet! What does the tubing decal say?
Old 12-08-17, 05:05 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
Sweet! What does the tubing decal say?
Old 12-08-17, 05:10 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by DMC707
No -- your right , this is a pic from '91 from Davis Phinney's book, --- bike does not have any blue on it at all

The kit had a lot of blue in it though, so maybe that's what skewed my faded memory

single pivot brakes on this bike -- must be a pretty early shot, or perhaps that was a Phinney preference

I remember having to step in between long time Coors Light guy Roberto Gaggioli and an acquaintance of mine in , perhaps 97 or 98 at the Hotter n Hell Hundred -- Gaggioli was supposedly drafting him in the time trial and when confronted about it, Gaggioli punched him in the face and a scrum ensued

I can understand his frustration if at the tail end of his career, he was drafting Cat 2's who weren't full time cyclists ---
but I cant remember what team he was with then or if Coors Light was even a team in '97 --- brain fade from too many Coors Lights perhaps
Yeah the paint scheme you show is all I found too. I did just hit up the P.O. to see if he'd share any history.

You know the closest I ever get to any pro is when the Tour of Utah riders fly by my house each summer. They then proceed to fly up the same mountains that make my heart burst out of my chest....
Old 12-08-17, 05:14 PM
jamesdak 

I got totally lucky with the fit on this. The straight seatpost combined with the frame geometry let me get my standard setback from the BB with no problem. And once I set it and checked the reach to the handlebars I found it spot on perfect! I don't normally get that lucky.
Old 12-08-17, 05:21 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Nice - one of my Grail Bikes. Already thinking of what I would sell to make room for that one.
Old 12-08-17, 05:27 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts
.......that is so nice

Congrats on your purchase

Looks like it will be a fun ride
Old 12-08-17, 05:38 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Chuckk
'94 team had the blue bikes.

'92 had dayglow yellow and red, '93 had corvette yellow and red (I think)
Awesome, I could not find any pics like that with my search. Good to learn a little more about these, thanks!
Old 12-08-17, 05:40 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
NIce bike fo sho.
Old 12-08-17, 06:02 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Chuckk
'94 team had the blue bikes.

'92 had dayglow yellow and red, '93 had corvette yellow and red (I think)

A - haaah ! And with Campagnolo componentry as well , just like JAmes'
Old 12-08-17, 06:55 PM
jamesdak 

Well, I was going to service the hubs and such on the Serotta tonight. But my son is coming over and we're going to fit him to the small Schwinn Circuit I found for him. I'm super excited and I hope he takes to road biking. It'd be nice to ride with him sometimes.

This will be his first real bike.

Old 12-08-17, 07:37 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 89 Posts
Nice CSi! The tube sets on these bikes are really interesting. I don't think of mine as vintage as I purchased it new and it seems like just yesterday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CSIKIT.jpg (301.6 KB, 355 views)
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 12-08-17, 11:31 PM
jamesdak 

^ That's a beauty!
Old 12-09-17, 08:50 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Nice serotta. Hope your son enjoys cycling...My oldest hopefully will start with his this year...in the meantime we putter around on our mountain bikes.
Old 12-09-17, 10:52 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I hope that your son gets bitten by the road bug. It's great that you are his LBS!

It is a pity that the company's financial takeover killed a great American company for a few hundred thousand $$$ instead of doing a caring restructuring. It must have been a great shock for the skilled workforce, and it seems to have come as a surprise to Ben Serotta too, from what I have read. I guess it could be argued that Ben and company didn't have their eyes focused on the bottom line, should not have relied so heavily on bespoke production, and should have better protected themselves from vulture capitalists. I'm also saddened that the serial number database in the later years wasn't preserved. Ben is too busy and forward-looking to do anything about that, and maybe doesn't even own the company records.

Serotta produced truly innovative and beautiful steel, titanium, and ti/carbon machines, all with an exquisite understanding of geometry. I'm lucky to own a Legend Ti, and its tubeset has amazing tapers and great road feel. While I don't get the point of the Ti/carbon frames they built toward the end, I think that anyone should be happy to have a steel or titanium Serotta - they are awesome and classic.
Old 06-01-18, 03:27 PM
jamesdak 

Well, just an update on this one. I picked up some used Campagnolo Scirocco's recently and decided to use them on this. I had an original Campagnolo conversion kit that allowed me to use and old 9 speed cassette, swap the rings, drop the largest cog, and then mount it to the modern wheelset. This dropped the bike from where it was at 21 lbs 7 ozs, to 20 lbs, 12 ozs. Then I swapped out the too narrow Flite Titanium saddle for a Fabric Scoop as well as swapped on a C.F. seatpost I had lying around unused. This gained me a another 2 ozs is weight lose, WOW!! LOL!!!!
Old 06-01-18, 03:28 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by dunrobin
Nice serotta. Hope your son enjoys cycling...My oldest hopefully will start with his this year...in the meantime we putter around on our mountain bikes.
Yeah, he just recently told me he prefers mountain biking as he brought the Circuit back to me. I'll pass it on to someone locally so it get's used.
Old 06-02-18, 11:49 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Yeah, he just recently told me he prefers mountain biking as he brought the Circuit back to me. I'll pass it on to someone locally so it get's used.
ouch. at least he rides- i cant get my daughter on a bike at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.