Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What bike would you choose if you were me?....

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-14-20, 01:24 PM
Dallas405

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I知 in the market for a new bike and could definitely use some suggestions as to what you guys would ride if you were in my shoes. I almost feel like the more I look the more I知 unsure of what to get, haha. The last thing I want to do is buy something and wish I had gotten something else a little later down the road.

I live in Oklahoma City which is pretty flat with a mix of some good streets and some pretty bad streets. It痴 not unusual to go from a nice smooth asphalt street straight into a ****ty street with some potholes. Dedicated bike lanes are pretty rare.

I currently ride an old 70痴 motobecane (so tire sizes are very limited) fixed gear bike with a super high gear. It痴 a ***** to get it going but once I do I知 flying which I love but I知 starting to like the idea of having a range of different gears. My knees are also begging me to get a bike with brakes (I知 a Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt and my knees give me WAY more problems during training when I知 riding my fixie than when I知 not). I want to start commuting fairly often to work which is only about 7/8 miles from my house which is half of the reason I want a new bike. The other reason is just for fun going out riding around town and even doing some off road riding on gravel and lighter dirt trails. When i知 on the streets I do like to fly so I want the bike to be the best compromise of being as fast as possible on the street but capable while on those easy trails and not feeling scared to hop over a pothole or bunny hop a curb and roll through the grass, hitting some ****ty road bumps and just being able to have some fun and ride kind of free in it if that makes sense.

My budget is around $1,200 and I have no qualms about eventually upgrading parts over time as long as the bike is solid. I prefer flat bars and enjoy being a little more upright for visibility and comfort sake. Knowing all of this, if you were me in this situation what would you be looking for? Any bike out there that you think fits the bill best or perhaps looking to do more of a piece by piece custom build and if so what are your ideas on it? Thanks so much for any help and insight you can give
Old 03-14-20, 02:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Me?

https://www.rei.com/product/151725/s...-sora-650-bike

or drop bar version
https://www.rei.com/product/151723/s...pex-1-650-bike
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-14-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 03:16 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Giant Fastroad SL1 (2019) perhaps. Specs mention it fits a 32mm but from a brief read online it should take a 38mm. Plus its red!

If that's enough tyre for where you'd like to ride, you might be able to find the 2019 model on discount in budget.

Otherwise one of the 2020 models.
Old 03-14-20, 03:34 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I love my Giant Sedona Comfort/Adventure bike. It's not fast, But the bolt upright riding position is so enjoyable, It more then makes up for it for me. Based on how well this entry level bike is built and performs, I would trust Giant for something more to your liking, Like this Roam Disc 1. It's riding position looks about half way between a road bike and comfort bike. That should keep wind resistance at bay, And provide better visibility then road bikes.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/roam-1-disc-2020

A good balance of performance and comfort I think for your requirements. The air suspension forks make short work of rough roads (now I wish I had them), A wide range of gears for any situation you're likely to encounter, Hydraulic disc brakes work well in rain, 42 mm x 700c tires should be good for some adventure riding, And still be quick on pavement. I also like the front and rear rack mounts and integrated front fender. A heck of a lot of bike that might never need upgrading IMO.

PS: Giant's FastRoad is another favorite of mine. Closer to a road bike then the Roam. But for rough roads and some trail riding, I think the Roam is a better balanced bike. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 03-15-20 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 09:19 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Jamis Renegade Expat Ltd. is an outstanding valye on an excellent overall bike if you can convert to drop bars. Otherwise Salsa Journeyman is one of the very few flat bar choices along with the Jamis Sequel which is a bit nicer than the Journeyman.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeltd.html
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/sequels2.html

Good luck.
Old 03-15-20, 02:02 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
For 1200$ I like that Jamis above. But a flat bar I would think about this Fuji although I do not know how large a tire it will take.
Absolute
Old 03-15-20, 04:24 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by Gconan
For 1200$ I like that Jamis above. But a flat bar I would think about this Fuji although I do not know how large a tire it will take.
Absolute
Wow, that's a great price for a 105 equipped bike, but the Absolute is more of a fitness bike with limited tire capacity and a pretty steep steerer angle I thought...
Old 03-15-20, 07:35 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Wow, that's a great price for a 105 equipped bike, but the Absolute is more of a fitness bike with limited tire capacity and a pretty steep steerer angle I thought...
All true. It only comes with 30mm tires and I do not know if it could take anything bigger or not.
Old 03-15-20, 08:44 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Gconan
All true. It only comes with 30mm tires and I do not know if it could take anything bigger or not.
Still, that is an incredible price for a 105 groupset!
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-15-20, 10:38 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Cross Check!! Comfortable, room for reasonable tires, versatile.