Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Continual punctures

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Continual punctures

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 03:00 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Continual punctures

At the Westminster, MD swap meet in February I picked up a mint condition Flying Pigeon roadster for the munificent sum of $50.00. Exactly as pictured, with a flat rear tire:

After a month of fettling (you wouldn't believe the assembly condition, every part was loose, except for the wheel bearing cups which were installed with an air wrench), I now understand why the previous owner was so desperate to rid himself of the bike. You can't ride it five miles without getting a rear puncture. On the inside (rim side) of the tube:

No spokes are protruding, the rim strip is in good condition, nothing fails the finger test all the way around the rim, and after the second flat I added a layer of electrical tape over the rim strip for extra cushioning (still rebuilding my shop, parts supply is short at present). I managed a 3.5 mile ride this morning and figured I finally had the problem solved. Took it out again this afternoon, barely got a half mile down the road and flat again.

The best guess I can come up with is that the tire bead isn't seating well enough allowing the tire to rotate on the rim (28x1/2 tire, 40-635 tube, 50lbs pressure - I don't run a rod braked roadster higher than that, my Raleigh Tourist has been known to occasionally blow the bead at 55lbs, wlll definitely do it at 60). Does anyone else out there either have a better idea, or confirmation of what I'm thinking?

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-26-20, 03:09 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
At the Westminster, MD swap meet in February I picked up a mint condition Flying Pigeon roadster for the munificent sum of $50.00. Exactly as pictured, with a flat rear tire:

After a month of fettling (you wouldn't believe the assembly condition, every part was loose, except for the wheel bearing cups which were installed with an air wrench), I now understand why the previous owner was so desperate to rid himself of the bike. You can't ride it five miles without getting a rear puncture. On the inside (rim side) of the tube:

No spokes are protruding, the rim strip is in good condition, nothing fails the finger test all the way around the rim, and after the second flat I added a layer of electrical tape over the rim strip for extra cushioning (still rebuilding my shop, parts supply is short at present). I managed a 3.5 mile ride this morning and figured I finally had the problem solved. Took it out again this afternoon, barely got a half mile down the road and flat again.

The best guess I can come up with is that the tire bead isn't seating well enough allowing the tire to rotate on the rim (28x1/2 tire, 40-635 tube, 50lbs pressure - I don't run a rod braked roadster higher than that, my Raleigh Tourist has been known to occasionally blow the bead at 55lbs, wlll definitely do it at 60). Does anyone else out there either have a better idea, or confirmation of what I'm thinking?
I bet your rimstrip isn’t as good as you think it is. If it is rubber, replace it with cloth or something fiberous.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-26-20, 03:28 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Is the puncture always occurring at the same location? Mark the location on the rim and look there. Could there be a sharp edge in the lip of the rim?
Likes For 2_i:
Old 03-26-20, 03:39 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Look again for anything causing it, and fix.

Some old tubes can split easily. Replace it with a new tube.
Old 03-26-20, 03:52 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Originally Posted by alo
Look again for anything causing it, and fix.

Some old tubes can split easily. Replace it with a new tube.
That is a new tube. The second I've put on the bike. Two rides and approximately four miles on it.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-26-20, 04:07 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
That is a new tube. The second I've put on the bike. Two rides and approximately four miles on it.
You mention the "finger test" around the rim.

Have you done the same all around the interior of the tire itself? Might be a sharp object embedded in the tire that protrudes just enough on the inside such that the tube gets slashed.
Old 03-26-20, 04:58 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
There will be something there. It is up to you to find it.
Old 03-26-20, 05:40 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I bet your rimstrip isn’t as good as you think it is. If it is rubber, replace it with cloth or something fiberous.
I second that. Even with the added electrical tape the tube isn't protected enough. Electrical tape is thin. Try a cloth rim strip on top of electrical tape.
Old 03-26-20, 07:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Are those single wall rims (whoops, my bad, I should have written double wall rims) with deep holes for spoke nipples? If so, thin rubber band type rim strips won't provide enough support. The tube will extrude into the spoke nipple hole and weaken, usually splitting just like the photo shows.

Try a cloth rim tape like Velox or other (they're all pretty much the same). Or a rigid plastic rim strip like Schwalbe sells. But the cloth tape works great.

The only trick with cloth tape is to avoid using tape that's too wide. If I climbs up the shoulders of the rim it can hinder seating the bead on some tire/rim combinations. I usually chose cloth tape just wide enough to cover the spoke nipple holes but no wider.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-28-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 07:46 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I second that. Even with the added electrical tape the tube isn't protected enough. Electrical tape is thin. Try a cloth rim strip on top of electrical tape.
Sounds like the best idea so far. Will give it a try.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-26-20, 07:48 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
You mention the "finger test" around the rim.

Have you done the same all around the interior of the tire itself? Might be a sharp object embedded in the tire that protrudes just enough on the inside such that the tube gets slashed.
Did that immediately. That was my first thought. Then did the finger test down the rim, checking each of the spoke ends.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-26-20, 08:23 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I’ve gone to using tubeless tape for both my tubed and tubeless rims. Tesa tape, I think #4289 is the stuff. I buy it from November Bikes. Was getting recurring punctures even with the good cloth stuff.
Old 03-26-20, 10:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
The bike was designed to fly less likely to get punctures while flying : P

I tend to use the fabric reinforced Continental rim strips to good result but I don't think they make them for your tire size however Velox or better yet Newbaums will work well or tubless tape if you need something lower profile.
Old 03-27-20, 06:48 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Although infrequent, this has confounded me before. I found no sharp edges, no protruding spokes, and used quality rim strip ... i.e. no apparent fault. I found that running a strip or two of thin, fiber-reinforced packing tape tightly around the rim before I installed the rim strip solved the issue.
Old 03-27-20, 07:19 AM
ups

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Run a cotton ball around the rim to check for sharps.

Looking at that cut the second thing that came to mind was a sharp edge on the rim strip.

Good luck. That is really frustrating.
Old 03-27-20, 07:42 AM
sykerocker 

A very productive evening for possible answers. Thank you. Will give a few of these a try once I'm done mowing the lawn this afternoon.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-27-20, 06:37 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,908 Times in 1,139 Posts
Your'e mowing already? I've got another three weeks here before even thinking about it. How is the new Grudge? Smiles, MH
Old 03-27-20, 09:41 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
A very productive evening for possible answers. Thank you. Will give a few of these a try once I'm done mowing the lawn this afternoon.
If all the other advice fails try checking the area where the rim is joined together. I ruined a wheel on a tour and the replacement I was able to find. It would go flat after 30-50 miles. After patching it twice I finally was able to locate it on the rim. I did this by placing the logo on the tire in line with the valve stem. When the tire went flat I lined up the tube's valve and then searced both the tire and rim at the location of the puncture. I found a rough spot on the inside of the rim's joint. Using the sandpaper in my patch kit I sanded it smooth, and went another 1000 miles without a flat.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 03-27-20, 10:47 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Another thing to check is that the rim tape/covering that is there now isn't slipping when you mount the tire. I had that happen to me with Velox tape that just slid to the side. And the thing I discovered then too is to not use tape that is too wide because when you put the tire on it protrudes from the side enough to slip with the friction of the tire against the tube while mounting. It worked fine when the wheel was new and for about 3 years, then I just couldn't stop the flats and that's what it was.
Old 03-27-20, 11:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Ride with the same tube and patch it. This will give you a running record of where tie issue(s) is. (Remember, the cut is "n" spokes from theeh valve but can be in either direction.) My guess is that you will see the patches falling in near the same place (or directly beside each other if you hold the valve and pull the tube away from it). Now you know the issue is. Knowing exactly where to look makes finding an unknown much easier.

I patch tubes for routine flats whenever possible. For very small punctures, it tells me where to be looikng for that nearly invisible tire wire or tiny piece of glass or broken thorn, all of which can be entirely inside the casing waiting to cause the next flat.

Ben
Old 03-27-20, 11:59 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Are those single wall rims with deep holes for spoke ?
Huh?
Old 03-28-20, 12:24 AM
dabac

Zooming in on the rim, it looks like it has a fairly narrow central ridge where the nipple holes are. Sometimes when you have a rim profile that’s deep and narrow, the tube won’t fill the trench evenly. It’ll get hung up on the edges and then only the material earlier spanning the trench will stretch to the bottom of the trench. Whether it’s the localized stretch as such that pops the tube, or the thinness that makes it more sensitivite, I don’t know.
You have a couple of options if you want to research this route:
1) make sure to use the widest tube possible
2) inflate slowly, giving the tube time to creep into the crevasse
3) use some talcum powder, corn starch etc on the inside of the rim to encourage creep
4) if you don’t need the trench to get the tire on, fill it. I’ve got an old Dutch bike with a similar rim profile that had a length of rope as filler. Not a great choice of material b/c of water retention and long-term survival of the rim, but sound in principle. If I ever find a less rusty replacement rim I’d probably use a length of transparent fuel hose of the right size instead.
5) or deck it over. I’d probably use something sold as a tape rather than something sold as a rim strip. Duct tape with a long-lasting adhesive cut down to width for example.
Old 03-28-20, 12:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Huh?
My mistake. I should have written double wall rims with deep spoke nipple holes where the base of the nipple isn't flush with the inside bottom of the rim trough.

Soft rubber rim strips and tubes can extrude into the holes, forming dimples that weaken the tube and eventually splitting at the tips of the dimples. It happens less often with single wall rims where the base of the nipple is closer to flush with the rim trough.

Switching to cloth tape solved that problem with all my wheels, single and double wall rims.

See these threads:
Rim side tube puncture: No spoke or removed tape

Tube failure on inner side, no puncture, rim strip good

Weinmann LP18 Geometry Causes Flats?
Old 03-28-20, 04:03 AM
dabac

Originally Posted by canklecat
My mistake. I should have written double wall rims with deep spoke nipple holes where the base of the nipple isn't flush with the inside bottom of the rim trough.
I got a bit hesitant there whether it was a typo or if you’d found some truly odd rim design somewhere.
Old 03-28-20, 04:31 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Although infrequent, this has confounded me before. I found no sharp edges, no protruding spokes, and used quality rim strip ... i.e. no apparent fault. I found that running a strip or two of thin, fiber-reinforced packing tape tightly around the rim before I installed the rim strip solved the issue.
Bingo! It seems to work. Patched the tire yesterday, inflated it and let it sit overnight. Did one layer of reinforced packing tape over top the layer of electrical tape. Mounted the wheel this morning (I've gotten to the point that I can do a rear wheel on a rod braked roadster almost in my sleep), and did two rides today totaling 11 miles with no problem.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.