Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant Revolt Advanced and seatpost bob

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 12:39 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts

So i have finally narrowed down my purchase list to 4 candidates, leading the pack out of which is the Giant Revolt Advanced 0.

However, I did read on Grand Fondo that the seatpost tends to bob a bit too much when pedalling under effort. For my height (6'0"), I have very long legs and a short toso (35" cycling inseam). Even on a normal bike, i get boat loads of seatpost showing - see example below. On a compact/sloping frame like Giant, i would imagine that this would be even higher. I like bikes with a lot of BB stiffness and quick responsiveness when you stomp on the pedals - a bobbing seatpost sounds like it would mar the experience quite a bit.

Question for Revolt owners: how noticeable is this bob when you are cycling, especially on tarmac, and does it affect your riding efficiency or the feeling of responsiveness of the bike?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-20, 01:09 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
It's noticeable on tarmac, mostly when climbing seated, but I haven't found it to be detrimental to performance, you just feel it flex. Don't even notice it offroad. I've done plenty of road rides, A group, WBL, etc. on the Revolt and haven't had any issues. I'm the same height, with a shorter inseam (33"), 763mm seat height on a ML frame.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-24-20, 02:43 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
It's noticeable on tarmac, mostly when climbing seated, but I haven't found it to be detrimental to performance, you just feel it flex. Don't even notice it offroad. I've done plenty of road rides, A group, WBL, etc. on the Revolt and haven't had any issues. I'm the same height, with a shorter inseam (33"), 763mm seat height on a ML frame.
Heya - thanks for that. Just to get some more information on the ride feel - does it not interrupt your pedaling rhythm at all, or is it more a case of something you get used to very quickly? I am super-sensitive to ride feel, so just trying to get a sense of what this bike will feel like. In this part of the world and with various travel restrictions in place, I'll be limited to ordered it without trying it.
Old 04-24-20, 06:54 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Heya - thanks for that. Just to get some more information on the ride feel - does it not interrupt your pedaling rhythm at all, or is it more a case of something you get used to very quickly? I am super-sensitive to ride feel, so just trying to get a sense of what this bike will feel like. In this part of the world and with various travel restrictions in place, I'll be limited to ordered it without trying it.
Nope, doesn't interrupt rhythm or anything, and I really only noticed it on the first few road rides, I don't even notice it now. It's a fantastic bike, absolutely love mine. If I could only have one bike, it would be the Revolt with a second wheelset. But even the gravel tires are fun on the road, riding 40mm tubeless you don't have to worry about any holes or cracks in the road. lol

A friend of mine has the Advanced 0, it's a cool color in person.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-24-20, 10:24 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Nope, doesn't interrupt rhythm or anything, and I really only noticed it on the first few road rides, I don't even notice it now. It's a fantastic bike, absolutely love mine. If I could only have one bike, it would be the Revolt with a second wheelset. But even the gravel tires are fun on the road, riding 40mm tubeless you don't have to worry about any holes or cracks in the road. lol

A friend of mine has the Advanced 0, it's a cool color in person.
Appreciate that, hermano!

The Advanced Pro is, at present, at the top of my list - with the Domane SL6 the ,Cervelo Aspero and the Look 765 RS as my other 3 alternatives.
Old 04-27-20, 09:16 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Appreciate that, hermano!

The Advanced Pro is, at present, at the top of my list - with the Domane SL6 the ,Cervelo Aspero and the Look 765 RS as my other 3 alternatives.
Another friend of mine has the Pro Force, it's def sweet, 18lbs stock in a M. The Aspero is a nice bike too, if I was looking for one bike to do it all, that might be it, but I like having two bikes. lol
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-27-20, 12:37 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Another friend of mine has the Pro Force, it's def sweet, 18lbs stock in a M. The Aspero is a nice bike too, if I was looking for one bike to do it all, that might be it, but I like having two bikes. lol
I am just inclined against the Aspero cos i already have an R5 - would prefer a different brand, just for variety's sake. Although if i can get a good deal on an Aspero frameset, that might change things....
Old 04-27-20, 05:31 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
If you are thinking of the Aspero you should look at the Open U.P. as well. Gerard Vroomen left Cervelo (the ompany he founded) and formed Open with Andy Kessleer (former CEO of BMC). If there is such a thing as one bike, that would be it.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 04-28-20, 05:28 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by dwmckee
If you are thinking of the Aspero you should look at the Open U.P. as well. Gerard Vroomen left Cervelo (the ompany he founded) and formed Open with Andy Kessleer (former CEO of BMC). If there is such a thing as one bike, that would be it.
Isnt the UP a fair bit more expensive than the Aspero, though? A 1x Aspero build is $2800 and the UP frameset starts at $3k....