Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is a speed sensor worth adding to bike computer (Wahoo)?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-09-20, 02:25 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

So I have a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and just added the cadence sensor. Is there any advantage to adding a speed sensor? Ie. does the speed sensor have any advantage over just the GPS built into the computer? Perhaps more reliable at times? More accurate? I don’t know. Interested in thoughts.
Old 07-09-20, 02:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
It might help smooth out things like your average speed at times when you have poor satellite connectivity, but I don't think that it's of great value.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-09-20, 02:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
How much will you be bummed out if poor satellite reception or some other interference messes up a ride? Otherwise your gps alone is probably accurate enough for distance. Time, it'll do nothing for.

However I do use both a cadence sensor and wheel sensor. Just so I have another piece of frequently useless data to marvel or quibble about.
Old 07-09-20, 03:44 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Also lets you track your rides in the velodrome
Old 07-09-20, 03:45 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I can't imagine having a bike computer without speed. Even the cheapest models have speed, distance and average speed. I want to know my cadence at all times, particularly when climbing 10% grades. I also want to watch my speed drop below 6 mph on the way up and hit as high as 54 going down. I also want heart rate. Without that, you've got no idea how hard you're working. I've had a power meter too, but now I'm too old to worry about it.

I really can't imagine a company selling a bike computer without a speed sensor.
Old 07-09-20, 03:49 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I really can't imagine a company selling a bike computer without a speed sensor.
...his Wahoo has GPS. Even under heavy tree cover, my Wahoo almost never loses signal, but the indicated speed may be a smidge jumpy.
Old 07-09-20, 03:59 PM
kosmo886

I’ve read about potential glitches with the speed sensor. Has anyone had this issue? Seems like it can’t hurt to try one even though I haven’t had issues with the GPS on the computer. Needed the cadence anyways.
Old 07-09-20, 05:13 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
The answer is a lot of "it depends." I'll get GPS drops on my Garmin here and there on routes with underpasses, and the lapse is maybe 20 seconds. IIRC it records an assumed straight-line path for the drop, and I'd think it'd just do the math on figuring out speed if I didn't have a wheel speed sensor. I also have the wheel speed sensor installed because I use rollers.

If I had to pay for the sensor separately and didn't have a use for it indoors, I'd probably go without and live with the extremely minor GPS drops.
Likes For bahula03:
Old 07-09-20, 05:41 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I never bother with the speed sensor. The extremely minor improvement it makes when there is a poor GPS signal or low speeds just doesn't justify having another thing on the bike.
When I do utilise a sensor it is off my power tap wheel set and the difference between having it and not is just insignificant.
Only use I can see is if you were doing specific equipment testing and were trying to get the best data you can.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-09-20, 05:56 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
So the real issue is that you have speed readout but question it's accuracy. That's much different than not having speed info. I ride in mountain canyons, so a speed sensor might be wise, rather than depend on GPS entirely.
Old 07-09-20, 07:10 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
I have the Wahoo speed sensor. My results are dead accurate, but I'm not sure how inaccurate the GPS results would be. The one nice thing you get with the sensor is faster updates on road speed.
Old 07-09-20, 07:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Well, for one thing not having a speed/cadence sensor means you'll get less info from a trainer/roller ride and it won't be as interesting. GPS won't help at all. It also makes the gradient number more responsive and accurate. When reviewing a ride, if one zooms in on a graphical bit, the numbers one sees will be more meaningful. Plus riding on forested or mountain roads, one will still have data other than power and HR when the satellites go bye-bye.

When I ride, I normally watch 2 things: cadence and either HR or power. Also distance if I'm working off a cue sheet, though I mostly let the Garmin tell me what to do when I'm following a route. I try to put in a new battery about the same time every year. If I forget and the sensor stops working, I really, really miss it. I like my Garmin's automatic tire circumference feature which keeps the wheel sensor's output aligned with the GPS input, so when I change tires or tire pressures I don't have to fool with anything.
Old 07-09-20, 07:23 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I have one on the bike I use occasionally on the trainer, I don’t have one on the other bike, just rely on the GPS. Riding outdoors I don’t perceive any difference in what I see for speed between the two. I actually have another speed sensor that came with the cadence sensor, just never got around to installing it.
Old 07-09-20, 07:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by kosmo886
I’ve read about potential glitches with the speed sensor. Has anyone had this issue? Seems like it can’t hurt to try one even though I haven’t had issues with the GPS on the computer. Needed the cadence anyways.
If glitches bother you then you should probably give up the gps too. Eventually everything has glitches.

If you haven't had any reception issues with your current GPS that caused a difference in distance traveled, then you probably won't get any benefit from a wheel sensor.
Old 07-09-20, 08:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I

GPS units generate speed data. There’s only a few times you need the added accuracy.
Old 07-09-20, 08:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
As others have stated, a speed sensor improves accuracy. Mt. bikers use them a lot when riding in heavily wooded areas where the already weak GPS signal causes dropouts. A speed sensor gives an accurate track of speed and distance. As well if using on group road rides, the data from the sensor is more recent and gives a more accurate speed. Useful for maintaining a steady pace. And of course it’s needed on an indoor trainer.
Old 07-09-20, 08:46 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
The bolt will auto calibrate wheel diameter for responsive and accurate speed.
The bolt will be quicker to Auto-Pause and the continue a ride.

Barry
Old 07-10-20, 02:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use both: GPS via phone app, and older style Wahoo magnet type speed/cadence sensors paired with the bike computer. There's hardly ever much difference between the two readouts on segments or overall rides.

I also have one of those no-magnet convertible earth induction speed/cadence sensors but haven't used it for awhile. Results were comparable to GPS and magnet sensors, but with more dropouts and glitches.

I don't worry much about speed. Mostly I use the computer to monitor my heart rate, distance and ride time.

The cadence info was useful last year when I switched my style from spinning 90-100 rpm to slower 60-75 rpm. But now that the slower cadence is in muscle memory I don't really need the reminder anymore.
Old 07-10-20, 03:43 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
So the real issue is that you have speed readout but question it's accuracy. That's much different than not having speed info. I ride in mountain canyons, so a speed sensor might be wise, rather than depend on GPS entirely.
My thoughts. Steep terrain can cause GPS reception issues. Part of the reason I bought my Bolt was that my Polar used GPS for elevation and steep mountain terrain made it worthless for recording elevation.
Old 07-10-20, 04:25 AM
kosmo886

Originally Posted by Barry2
The bolt will auto calibrate wheel diameter for responsive and accurate speed.
The bolt will be quicker to Auto-Pause and the continue a ride.

Barry
how does auto calibrating work? Is that better than just imputing the actual?
Old 07-10-20, 08:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Auto calibrate varies from mfr to mfr and even between devices. However auto calibrate can be very accurate. Or if when the auto calibrate is being done you are in poor reception, then it can be way off.

I've read some devices auto calibrate several times during the ride and others only do it once near the beginning of the ride. You can, at least on my device see in the settings what the last autocalibrate came up with and if you believe it correct, then put that number in as circumference of your wheel.

An actual rollout can be very accurate or inaccurate depending on the person doing it. I put a drop of paint or something on my tire that will make a mark on clean concrete and ride my bike for a few wheel turns then measure as many marks as I can and compute the number for the wheels circumference.

That number depends on ride weight, tire pressure and other things for accuracy. But in the grand scheme.... much of the arguments between gps accuracy and wheel sensors for the average person with decent satellite reception are only arguing over a few percent. Who really cares to have that much accuracy. It's meaningless.
Old 07-10-20, 08:49 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
So I have a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and just added the cadence sensor. Is there any advantage to adding a speed sensor? Ie. does the speed sensor have any advantage over just the GPS built into the computer? Perhaps more reliable at times? More accurate? I don’t know. Interested in thoughts.
I prefer my bike's speed sensor than my computers. It's more accurate.

My bike came with an integrated speed & cadence sensor so I didn't have to buy any aditionnal device.
Old 07-10-20, 08:54 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by eduskator
I prefer my bike's speed sensor than my computers. It's more accurate.
It's more accurate at any given instant. Over the course of a segment or ride, most won't see a difference.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-10-20, 10:36 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
If you look down at the computer and expect to see your actual speed, then a speed sensor is probably a good idea.
Likes For sfrider:
Old 07-10-20, 11:55 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
how does auto calibrating work? Is that better than just imputing the actual?
In the Wahoo Element (Bolt) App you set the Speed sensor to "Auto" and not pick a circumference yourself.
Looking in the Wahoo App it thinks my wheel has a circumference of 2.096 Metres
So it appears to have self calibrated to the Millimetre (MM)

I'd say that is pretty precise, but I can't judge it's accuracy.

It installed the speed sensor just for the Auto-Pause on a ride.
The Bolt will Auto-Pause on it's own, but apparently it is more responsive with a speed sensor added.
I use the same Bolt on my Fixed without a speed sensor and it Auto-Pauses well enough for me needs on that bike.

Barry

BTW I do like the Bolt handles multiple bikes. All of your Sensors are registered in the Bolt, and It just detects the ones on the bike you brought with you today.
This might cause a problem if you bring more than one bike.

Example
Bike 1 = Stages Power (Power and Cadence) and Wahoo Speed
Bike 2 = Wahoo Cadence
Both = Wahoo Tickr HRM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.