Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano two tone bicycle. What brand is it.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shimano two tone bicycle. What brand is it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 09:19 AM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagi57
Posted this before checking what others wrote, which is interesting. Thanks.;

I'll head to Franklinton Cycle Works in the next few days to get final set w the levers and figure out these V-brakes. Right now I can't get the right rear brake pad adjusted away from the rim. I'll also ask about those holes. Rear fender posts?
The V-brakes may have tension adjusting screws, try a small phillips. Also check that the wheel is perfectly centered. There should not be doubts about your bosses, top set in the stays are for a rear carrier, bottom of the seat stay bridge and rear on the chainstay are for a fender as you suspect, front fender shares a support trough the hole in the fork for the front reflector and the loop screws on the fork end. My terminology is way off.
Old 10-27-20, 02:53 PM
Sagi57

Bikes: '86 Schwinn LeTour, beater, winter bike, '89 LeTour, '81 LeTour, wrecked, '86 Traveler, Frankenbike, '85 Univega Viva Sport, '86-'87 Univega Nuovo Sport, '82 Sekai GT Deluxe, '88 Motobecane Mirage, '80s Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Again, as always thanks all for the info. Took the bike to FCW to find out brake problem is mixed components. Capillary brake levers (oem) and the updated v-brakes. So I bought v-brake levers and new brake cables. I'll tinker with that later.
. I also bought a Trek Antelope 830 there for my winter ride. Used fenders to go on also. No pictures yet, I had to leave it, I could only get one bike at a time home. Tomorrow I'll head down to pick up the Antelope.
Old 11-15-20, 08:24 PM
Sagi57

Bikes: '86 Schwinn LeTour, beater, winter bike, '89 LeTour, '81 LeTour, wrecked, '86 Traveler, Frankenbike, '85 Univega Viva Sport, '86-'87 Univega Nuovo Sport, '82 Sekai GT Deluxe, '88 Motobecane Mirage, '80s Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Off subject. Here's that Trek Antelope.

So here's my "newer" winter bike, an 830, a '92 as far as I can tell by searching the net. I got the bike and the fenders from Franklinton Cycle Works. I like how the 50's Agua fender matches the Trek decal on the downtube

So the RD is a Shimano Acera X. Not sure where that's on the Shimano hierarchy but I'm sure it'll be good for winter. I've rode it a few times back and forth to work, it's a fun ride but the fatter wheels, fatter than my road bike, that slow the ride down a bit, and that odd inner front gear... However I don't think I'll be thinking on that when I plow through when the snow comes to Columbus.
Old 11-18-20, 07:38 PM
Sagi57

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So reseaching on the net I see that Shimano Acera was put out to compensate, work w teenagers and beginners. Its able to handle the rough treatment and be easy to maintain. Re; better for the rough winters and more forgiving. Just what I need here in Ohio for our winters. Yeah!
I don't get much info on Acera X series and I'll just assume it's an upgrade from Acera. Any thoughts?
Old 11-20-20, 07:12 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagi57
So reseaching on the net I see that Shimano Acera was put out to compensate, work w teenagers and beginners. Its able to handle the rough treatment and be easy to maintain. Re; better for the rough winters and more forgiving. Just what I need here in Ohio for our winters. Yeah!

I don't get much info on Acera X series and I'll just assume it's an upgrade from Acera. Any thoughts?

Acera was actually the successor to Acera-X, with the latter being the 1st generation of the Acera series. Acera-X was produced for the 1995-1998 model years. It's was 7th in Shimano range of 8 ATB groups, being positioned between STX and Altus. Depending on where you look in the 1995 catalogue, it's described as either "mid-range" or "entry level". In 1995, Acera-X bicycles typically fell into the $300 - $400US price range.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-20-20, 02:14 PM
Sagi57

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks again T-Mar. I read that the Acera RD was a setup for 8-9 gears. The X being a precursor answers the "but I've got 7 gears, where's mine fit in?" question.