Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fall/Winter Gloves

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Fall/Winter Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 09:24 AM
stubert58

Bikes: Trek 520 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fall/Winter Gloves

Are there any fall/winter gloves (i.e. full finger cover) that are touchscreen compatible?

Stu
Old 10-13-20, 09:40 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I use bar mitts. and then just a mechanic glove with the special fingers or nothing.
Old 10-13-20, 02:29 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
up here in the Great White North, I'm pretty certain I've seen some downhill ski gloves marketed with this.
Old 10-13-20, 03:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
It's not winter here yet, but I found one cool weather glove that worked, most of the time. Not sure which one it is right now.

Are you near a good bike shop or REI where you can take your device and try some gloves out?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-13-20, 10:00 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Fingerless gloves that convert into mittens. Not only are they compatible with touch-screens, they utilize the layering principle for comfort management. I been depending on these for 20+ years of outdoor Winter activities.
Old 10-13-20, 10:20 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I have a couple of pairs with the touchscreen tip. Worked fine at first, then after a number of rides and a few washes, did not work any more.
Old 10-14-20, 08:55 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Look at the glove system from Dissent 133. They're my favorite so far. I live in Minnesota and I ride on the road until early December with these. Being from the frozen north, we're sort of have an obsession with gloves. I find that a underlayer of a glove coupled with a over-shell is the overall best method - it's warmer and it's less bulky. The layering process works far better than a single glove. The Dissent 133 set up does work with touchscreens. That all said, using a glove with a touchscreen is never going to be as good as a finger.

What I'm doing this year and seems like it will work super well is to use the Dissent 133 shells over the Castelli Perfetto and Perfetto Lite gloves. I really like how these work.

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 10-14-20 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 10-14-20, 10:01 AM
stubert58

Bikes: Trek 520 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you give me a link for the bar mitts you're referring to?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-20, 08:36 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
For winter/cold temp riding I prefer regular mitts. I have never tried bar mitts, but that is a thought. The mitts I use are made by Hestra. I want to say they are C-Zone models? They are insulated and pretty waterproof.

The mitts are good for me because all my fingers are together. I have circulation issues in my hands and move my hands around on the bars constantly to different positions. If I am out for a very long ride (more than an hour or so) I will put hand warmer packets in the mitts also. Even if it is in the 20's I will rotate the mitts on/off as they will get pretty toasty with the warmers. Having toasty-roasty mitts to poke my hands in to when they get cold is a blessing.

I found some rubbery insulated gloves called Ninja Ice gloves that I also wear a fair amount. They have individual fingers and are waterproof. However, I can't wear them for long because of the circulation problems. So I normally just go with the mitts - without hand warmer packets at first, unless it is real cold. If my hands start quitting on me its time for the hand warmer packets...
Old 11-06-20, 02:15 PM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by stubert58
Can you give me a link for the bar mitts you're referring to?

Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Mitts-Roa...+Mitts&sr=8-10
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 11-06-20, 02:57 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
On this topic, I've generally used two solutions depending on the temperatures:
-- For temperatures in the ranges of 0C-5C (32F to 41F), I found myself using fingerless gloves that turn into mittens, e.g. similar to these - https://www.amazon.com/Igloos-Mens-S...ef=sr_1_1_sspa
-- Once it get much below 0C, I switch over to heavier real mittens I might use for skiing. For purposes you describe I might be tempted to try light gloves for short periods I have my hands out of the mittens
Old 11-07-20, 01:06 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I’m a sound engineer doing semi open air theatre in the winter. I’ve tried gloves with ipad screens but found them frustratingly impossible. Try a stylus pen?