Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980s Spidel equipped Reynolds 531 Peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 12:50 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts

For anyone who isn’t tired of answering “Which model Peugeot do I have?” I’d really appreciate your input. PX? PY? PFWZQRS? I don’t know. For all of my Peugeot research I still can’t manage to make myself an expert. I can tell it’s quite nice! The frame has no decal to reveal a model name like the catalog photos do and I can’t seem to find a perfect match. A few near misses but nothing definite. The frame shows quite a bit of paint wear and some badly done touch-ups but I think it’ll clean up well enough. By the way it comes complete with a Helicomatic rear hub; I’m ordering the lock ring tool but some posters have me a little worried about weather I should keep it or not. I have a lot of experience with servicing hubs but have not tried my hand at Helicomatic. What should I watch out for?

As found a few months ago. I haven’t done anything to it yet. I did small test ride when purchasing it and that’s all I’ve ridden it.

Spidel headset

Spidel Simplex

6 speed Helicomatic

A couple of incorrect chairing bolts.

Some paint problems.

Some more paint issues in the bottom bracket area but really no rust.

Does this mean 1982?
My brother and I (both in our forties) are the same size and have such similar dimensions, and over the last several years we have together, assembled a small fleet bicycles that we share the cost of and rotate them between our homes. It wasn’t terribly expensive but it sure is nice to share the burden. After we service it, it’ll join that fleet.

This group has been great at answering my questions many times in the past. I’m grateful for any help you can give.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 10-29-20 at 12:22 AM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-14-20, 12:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a nicer, more expensive bike than a stock PXN 10 as it has chrome rear socks and 531SL tubing. This is a PY10; nice bike for sure.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-14-20, 01:01 PM
TugaDude

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
After looking at velobase.com it appears the cranset is a Campy copy that was produced by Stronglight. The FD and RD were made by Simplex. The brakes are made by Mafac. So what is the story behind Spidel? Did they actually manufacture anything?

Nice bike, BTW!

Edit: I found the following answer: From forum member CV-6

Spidel did not take over anyone. It was a top end component group formed by French manufacturers in response to Shimano, Suntour and Campagnolo who were producing complete groupsets. Mafac, Maillard, Stronglight, and Simplex were the main members. Later Modolo provided brakes for the groupset upon the demise of Mafac. Super Champion may have also been involved to a small extent, but I cannot say I have ever seen a Spidel rim. I have a NOS crankset with the arms marked Spidel and the rings still marked Stronglight. Obviously the venture did not fare too well.

Lynn Travers
Old 10-14-20, 01:11 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is a nicer, more expensive bike than a stock PXN 10 as it has chrome rear socks and 531SL tubing. This is a PY10; nice bike for sure.
Agree, PY level
(except for the Helicomatic )

Last edited by Ex Pres; 10-14-20 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 01:37 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Agree, PY level
(except for the Helicomatic )
Do you know is the Helicomatic original? A better question might be does PY mean that the components were selected by the purchaser rather than Peugeot?
Old 10-14-20, 01:38 PM
Pcampeau

Thanks bikemig!
Old 10-14-20, 02:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
Thanks bikemig!
I'm just glad I don't live in the Twin Cities. I'd go broke for sure with all the nice bikes I see up there. Des Moines thankfully doesn't have anywhere near as many vintage bikes for sale and I still managed to clutter up my garage.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-14-20, 02:30 PM
Pcampeau

I'm just glad I don't live in the Twin Cities. I'd go broke for sure with all the nice bikes I see up there. Des Moines thankfully doesn't have anywhere near as many vintage bikes for sale and I still managed to clutter up my garage.
Well now you’ve got a facilitator here in Minneapolis if you ever do find a need to go broke.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-14-20, 03:01 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
She's a beauty.
Old 10-14-20, 04:37 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
After looking at velobase.com it appears the cranset is a Campy copy that was produced by Stronglight. The FD and RD were made by Simplex. The brakes are made by Mafac. So what is the story behind Spidel? Did they actually manufacture anything?

Nice bike, BTW!

Edit: I found the following answer: From forum member CV-6

Spidel did not take over anyone. It was a top end component group formed by French manufacturers in response to Shimano, Suntour and Campagnolo who were producing complete groupsets. Mafac, Maillard, Stronglight, and Simplex were the main members. Later Modolo provided brakes for the groupset upon the demise of Mafac. Super Champion may have also been involved to a small extent, but I cannot say I have ever seen a Spidel rim. I have a NOS crankset with the arms marked Spidel and the rings still marked Stronglight. Obviously the venture did not fare too well.

Lynn Travers
If you are referring to the LS1, LS2 and LSX Spidel side pull brakesets, they were definitely all made by MAFAC. I know, because I have an early LSX brakeset on my Peugeot PSV with MAFAC branding engraved on the calipers and levers. I highly doubt if MAFAC would have ever re-branded Modolo brakesets as one of theirs. It was usually the Italians that did such (like Gipiemme). The MAFAC/Spidel LS brakesets were usually mistaken as made by Modolo because of the similar dome shaped pivot bolt head it has, but if you put the two barkesets side by side, you will see that is the end of their similarities. Also, re-branded Modolos always used the Modolo brake pad holders with their signature wire wheel guides and usually with their sintered brake pads. The ones on the Spidels are unique/proprietary to MAFAC/Spidel. All rebranded Modolo brakesets also retain Modolo branding somewhere on them either cast, embossed or silkscreen on to their parts. None of that exists on the four Spidel LS sidepull brakesets I had owned.
The Spidel component consortium was formed to highlight the best of French made components to compete with the rest if the world at that time (Thus, the tricolor map of France on the Spidel logo.), so using Modolo brakesets in their groups would have been considered blasphemy to the all French members of that consortium.
Mavic did use Modolo brakesets for their groups in the 80's, but Mavic was not a member of the Spidel consortium, that's why I think they did not hesitate re-branding Modolo brakesets for their 80's groups.
I'm a big fan of the Spidel component groups and have used them on my "Tout French" bike builds. Spidel groups were always my go-to groups for such...... like this "Tout French" re-hash of my 1984 Gitane TDF, that I found weird that Gitane decided to equip with the Ofmega Mistral Gruppo from the factory. The TDF bikes ridden by Fignon, LeMond and Hinault from the year before were equipped with full Spidel groups.

BTW, the modern Look clipless pedals seen in the pic on the bike had since been replaced by more period and brand correct Maillard/Spidel 700 series CXC aero clipped pedals.

Last edited by Chombi1; 10-14-20 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 05:12 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
This is a somewhat rare bike, I don't know about these frame's geometry but I suspect this has a really good race frame.

Trek and Peugeot seemed to go all-in with Helicomatic inventory. A fly on the wall might tell us just how the Helicomatic came and went, how it reached it's peak of perceived value and how it soon thereafter became inventory that needed to be cleared out really fast when Maillard failed to meet the needs of indexed drivetrains. All speculation on my part!

Perhaps Peugeot offered the Helicomatic wheelsets as a most affordable option for the PY, also perhaps indexing was not yet on the visible horizon when this bike was put together.

I used my indexed 7s Command shifters and an Edge derailer with a 6s Helicomatic freewheel.
All Helicomatic freewheels had narrow spacing to work with the narrow Sedisport chain, so it did actually index (though with frequent episodes of chain "skating" i.e. slippage).

Congrat's on your find!

Last edited by dddd; 10-14-20 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 05:19 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
This is a somewhat rare bike, I don't know about these frame's geometry but I suspect this has a really good race frame.

Trek and Peugeot seemed to go all-in with Helicomatic inventory. A fly on the wall might tell us just how the Helicomatic came and went, how it reached it's peak of perceived value and how it soon thereafter became inventory that needed to be cleared out really fast when Maillard failed to meet the needs of indexed drivetrains. All speculation on my part!

Perhaps Peugeot offered the Helicomatic wheelsets as a most affordable option for the PY, also perhaps indexing was not yet a thing when this bike was put together.

I used my indexed 7s Command shifters and an Edge derailer with a 6s Helicomatic freewheel.
All Helicomatic freewheels had narrow spacing to work with the narrow Sedisport chain, so it did actually index (though with frequent episodes of chain "skating" i.e. slippage).

Congrat's on your find!
IIRC, Maillard did issue better quality, 700 series Helicomatic hubs, before the hub type went out of production.
I think the main improvement was better bearing and race protection on the 700 Helis and maybe better bearing quality and race machining and prep, like their other 700 series hubs had.
I would think that Peugeot would have use these "improved" Helis on this top line bike of theirs.
Old 10-14-20, 05:41 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by Chombi1
IIRC, Maillard did issue better quality, 700 series Helicomatic hubs, before the hub type went out of production.
I think the main improvement was better bearing and race protection on the 700 Helis and maybe better bearing quality and race machining and prep, like their other 700 series hubs had.
I would think that Peugeot would have use these "improved" Helis on this top line bike of theirs.
Thanks dddd and Chombi1 for your insights.

Can’t wait for my new Helicomatic beer opener/lock ring tool to arrive so I can hopefully crack this hub open with it....I know I’ll get a beer open with it!
Old 10-14-20, 06:11 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Yes, the top-end Helicomatic was essentially a Maillard 700 professional hub adopted to Helicomatic. The front hub was a 700, the rear was helicomatic with the problematic 5/32" balls, but the shell was better finished than the garden-variety Helicomatic, and it had nicely ground and polished cones and races and chromed locknuts and spacers.
Old 10-14-20, 08:22 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Riding/driving in Minneapolis/St Paul is like Madison- your head is always turning left and right looking at cool bikes, trying not to hit anything or anyone...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-14-20, 08:36 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
By the way it comes complete with a Helicomatic rear hub; I’m ordering the lock ring tool but some posters have me a little worried about weather I should keep it or not. I have a lot of experience with servicing hubs but have not tried my hand at Helicomatic. What should I watch out for?

Can’t wait for my new Helicomatic beer opener/lock ring tool to arrive so I can hopefully crack this hub open with it....I know I’ll get a beer open with it!
I have 2 Helicomatic hubs, one I removed from a wheel- the other is on a wheel that I haven't ridden in years, now. I have removed the freewheel/cassette with both the specific tool and with a needle nose pliers. You're really only removing a lock ring- and, in theory, you could possibly get it off with your fingers if it wasn't tightened too hard. If you don't use the tool, and use a pliers of some sort- just be careful not to crush the ring- mine are aluminum and kind of delicate feeling. But they came right off- and then the freewheel/cassette thing came right off- easy.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, the top-end Helicomatic was essentially a Maillard 700 professional hub adopted to Helicomatic. The front hub was a 700, the rear was helicomatic with the problematic 5/32" balls, but the shell was better finished than the garden-variety Helicomatic, and it had nicely ground and polished cones and races and chromed locknuts and spacers.
I didn't overhaul my Helicomatic- but mine is a 700 series hub that came on a Trek 720- you kind of get an idea of what the bearings and races are like.

One of these days I'll have to get a comparison between the 700 series hub and the one that came on my 84 Trek 420.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-muo9q8v-bN...l+polished.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OB1dlW3sA_...eel+packed.jpg

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-18-20, 01:26 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
For anyone who isn’t tired of answering “Which model Peugeot do I have?” I’d really appreciate your input. PX? PY? PFWZQRS? I don’t know. For all of my Peugeot research I still can’t manage to make myself an expert. I can tell it’s quite nice! The frame has no decal to reveal a model name like the catalog photos do and I can’t seem to find a perfect match. A few near misses but nothing definite. The frame shows quite a bit of paint wear and some badly done touch-ups but I think it’ll clean up well enough. By the way it comes complete with a Helicomatic rear hub; I’m ordering the lock ring tool but some posters have me a little worried about weather I should keep it or not. I have a lot of experience with servicing hubs but have not tried my hand at Helicomatic. What should I watch out for?

As found a few months ago. I haven’t done anything to it yet. I did small test ride when purchasing it and that’s all I’ve ridden it.

Spidel headset

Spidel Simplex

6 speed Helicomatic

A couple of incorrect chairing bolts.

Some paint problems.

Some more paint issues in the bottom bracket area but really no rust.

Does this mean 1982?
My brother and I (both in our forties) are the same size and have such similar dimensions, and over the last several years we have together, assembled a small fleet bicycles that we share the cost of and rotate them between our homes. It wasn’t terribly expensive but it sure is nice to share the burden. After we service it, it’ll join that fleet.

This group has been great at answering my questions many times in the past. I’m grateful for help you can give.
1983 only with that decal set ?
1984 changed to chevron top and down tube .

Nice machine !

Will be a good ride I am sure .
Old 03-22-21, 12:28 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Very nice find.
Any progress on this?

I'm currrently trying to resurrect a Puymorens myself, if anyone has a reynolds 531 engraved fork like this one stashed away and wants to get rid of it, pm me.
Old 03-22-21, 08:29 AM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by Schlafen
Very nice find.
Any progress on this?

I'm currrently trying to resurrect a Puymorens myself, if anyone has a reynolds 531 engraved fork like this one stashed away and wants to get rid of it, pm me.
No real progress to report yet. I put it away for the winter but it’s probably time to pull it back out and start on it.