Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 10:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
didn’t you have to replace a Rival shift lever?

That doesn’t sound trouble free to me.
Yes, i did,, it was sticking and the LBS offered to replace it. I got a replacement in a few days and has been fine since.

Defects do happen.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-27-20, 10:35 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by eduskator
Electronic shifting thread turning into a SRAM vs Shimano rivalry thread!

Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, doesn't matter, both are good lets make peace!
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...tegra-di2.html
Old 10-27-20, 10:36 AM
Roychol

Bikes: Scott Reflex 3.0/GT Karakoram Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
IMHO, electronic shifting is something the industry invented to keep selling bikes when it ran out of ideas. I know my opinion won't be popular, but it's what I think. Mechanical shifters, when properly set-up work well and shouldn't require frequent adjustments.
Cable stretch.
Old 10-27-20, 10:47 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Lucas the Prince of Darkness.

Years ago i met a guy that drove a Jaguar XK120 daily. When i asked if it was dependable, he raised the "bonnet" and I saw a AC Delco alternator and it was rewired and converted to 12v.
I've owned a Triumph GT-6 and a TR-6. The reason the British drink their beer warm? Lucas also makes refrigerators.
Old 10-27-20, 10:49 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
earlier this year when I bought my new S-Works Tarmac, I opted for frame only so I could put Campy Super Record mech shifters. For me, I personally love the idea that a bike is human powered, so the simplicity and purity of a mech setup fits with that
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 10-27-20, 11:08 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yes, i did,, it was sticking and the LBS offered to replace it. I got a replacement in a few days and has been fine since.

Defects do happen.
defects definitely happen, but I wouldn’t call having a broken shifter “trouble free”.
Old 10-27-20, 11:13 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Roychol
Cable stretch.
Have never experienced it. And I mostly use Teflon coated cables from aliexpress... So probably not the highest quality.

In any case, no cable is going to keep stretching forever.

My old mountain bike didn't need an adjust in the last 5 years. My current one hasn't been adjusted since May, when I bought it. My road bike has been 2 years without adjusting anything.

My urban bike shifts like crap though. I'll admit that. Cables are 20 years old. Never been changed, almost never adjusted.

It's possible that lots of people are unable to set up a derailleur properly. And in my experience, that includes lots of mechanics from bike shops. That's why I learned to do it myself.
Old 10-27-20, 11:36 AM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Pros use what they're told to use. Lately the PR was all excited about some TDF stage wins with clinchers and tubed tires on Spesh bikes.
Requirements of sponsorship with any sport go without saying. However if equipment reliability became an issue (costing wins), I think team management would have something to say about it.
Old 10-27-20, 11:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
A Chemical Engineer, an Electrical Engineer, and a Software Engineer are crossing Death Valley by car. Suddenly the car loses power and slows to a stop. They can't get the engine to start. The Chemical Engineer says, "There must be something wrong with the fuel." The Electrical Engineer says, "Nah. It has to be the ignitions system."

The Software Engineer says, "Let's get of the car and get back in again."
A biologist, a physicist, and a mathematician are having lunch outside and a few beers with it. They watch 2 people go into an empty building, and a while later 3 come out.

The biologist says "how cute, they're reproducing!"

Physicist replies "no we must have miscounted."

Under his breath the mathematician says "if one more person goes into that building, it'll be empty again."
Old 10-27-20, 01:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You obviously care very deeply. Otherwise, why are you still here arguing with all of these happy Di2 users?
Some people are only happy when they're complaining.
Old 10-27-20, 01:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
A biologist, a physicist, and a mathematician are having lunch outside and a few beers with it. They watch 2 people go into an empty building, and a while later 3 come out.

The biologist says "how cute, they're reproducing!"

Physicist replies "no we must have miscounted."

Under his breath the mathematician says "if one more person goes into that building, it'll be empty again."

An economist, an engineer, and a chemist are stranded on a desert island, with only a can of beans - but no can opener.

The engineer looks around at some rocks and twigs, and announces, "I can build a device to pry the lid off of the can."

The chemist finds various plants, checks them out, and says, "I can extract some compounds from these plants and make a substance that will burn through the steel, thus opening the can."

The economist listens to all of this, then - with a little exasperation bordering on disdain - says to them, "Why don't we just assume that we have a can opener?"
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-27-20, 01:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by noodle soup
defects definitely happen, but I wouldn’t call having a broken shifter “trouble free”.
A problem in the first few days that doesn't happen again... sure sounds like a lot of trouble.

But since the bike has been ridden 6000+ miles in the cold, rain and snow and hasn't happened again.

I can live with that.
Old 10-27-20, 02:01 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Does Microshift have an electronic group yet?
Old 10-28-20, 01:00 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
One of the reasons I ride a bike is because I enjoy things like shifting, accelerating, braking....relying upon no external energy source...when I start to remove these things I start doing something different from biking. I used to have a rwd GT2 that made 800 rwhp. I lost a race to my friends GTR that made only 750 but his dual automated clutch shifted faster than my 6 speed. Of course anyone with an IQ over 40 can drive a GTR, an old school 6 speed Porsche with absolutely no electronic nannies takes skill.

It is the same with bikes. Electronic shifting is cool as hell, but it is a step away from pure biking. I would ride one, I would just never spend any money on one.
Likes For RadDog:
Old 10-28-20, 06:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by RadDog
One of the reasons I ride a bike is because I enjoy things like shifting, accelerating, braking....relying upon no external energy source...when I start to remove these things I start doing something different from biking. I used to have a rwd GT2 that made 800 rwhp. I lost a race to my friends GTR that made only 750 but his dual automated clutch shifted faster than my 6 speed. Of course anyone with an IQ over 40 can drive a GTR, an old school 6 speed Porsche with absolutely no electronic nannies takes skill.

It is the same with bikes. Electronic shifting is cool as hell, but it is a step away from pure biking. I would ride one, I would just never spend any money on one.
How about a 69 911R with points, carbs and solid lifters.. no electronics.

By your example you should be racing a Model T if you want "pure driving".

But to each their own..
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-28-20, 07:02 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 1,276 Times in 706 Posts
fwiw, I currently own four bikes:
- one has SRAM eTap electronic shifting
- one has Campy Record
- one has Shimano Ultegra (6600)
- one has Shimano 105

The most rewarding aspect of eTap electronic shifting for me is the number of hand positions I can be riding in and still execute up- or down-shifts, front or back, cleanly, quickly, and effortlessly. Every mechanical shifting system I own or have used requires that I either have my hands in one of a small subset of all possible bar locations, and/or that I exert a type of effort when shifting that at best can be called awkward and that at worst compromises safety/stability on the bike.

There are a few other features of eTap that I could possibly try to describe as "advantages", but ^^^that's the big one, the Game Changer, and that's the reason that my next bike will also have eTap.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 10-28-20, 10:30 AM
RadDog
Banned.

How about a 69 911R with points, carbs and solid lifters.. no electronics.

By your example you should be racing a Model T if you want "pure driving".

But to each their own..
That is not true....whatsoever. My GT2 was built in 2002 so it is hardly a model T. It was built with a targeted audience that does not want any electronic nannies to compensate for a lack of driver skill. The only reason people "shift" (pun intended) using the new automated dual clutch systems is because they are much, much faster (your turbos never fall out of boost, which happens with a manual).

Electronic/automated shifting will not make the average cyclist much faster. Yes, it might give the pros 2-3 seconds in a 4 hour race, but for normal riders it just takes one more element out of the equation.

Don't get me wrong....you want to give me a top of the line Shimano or SRAM shifting set up I most certainly will take it and ride it. There was a time in my life when I could afford to buy pretty much any bike I wanted...dropping $10k would have been nothing then. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Today my money goes for one thing, and one thing only: Quality parts. I just dropped a big chunk of cash on some wheels with Dura ace hubs. Once I get my bike to 100% top of the line parts everywhere (in my case mostly dura ace....it would probably be SRAM for the gravel bike I am saving up for) then, and only then would I consider electronic shifting.

WARNING, INCOMING RANT!

But like you said, to each his own. I am a Dinosauer. At 58 (started riding at 5) the bike world is very, very different from what it used to be. 40 years ago most bike discussions were about the engine. You would spend an hour talking about how to get more from your engine (IE your body) and maybe 5 minutes arguing about which was better, Shimano or Campy. Today it is the reverse. Today, show up for a group ride and half the people are fat and they are riding an $8k bike. And good lord...these fatties are wet nursed along, because the shop ruiing the group ride knows who butters their bread. I can't recall one single fat cyclist from back in the day. You got dropped, you were on your own. All the bikers were hard as hell.

End rant
Likes For RadDog:
Old 10-28-20, 10:34 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
fwiw, I currently own four bikes:
- one has SRAM eTap electronic shifting
- one has Campy Record
- one has Shimano Ultegra (6600)
- one has Shimano 105

The most rewarding aspect of eTap electronic shifting for me is the number of hand positions I can be riding in and still execute up- or down-shifts, front or back, cleanly, quickly, and effortlessly. Every mechanical shifting system I own or have used requires that I either have my hands in one of a small subset of all possible bar locations, and/or that I exert a type of effort when shifting that at best can be called awkward and that at worst compromises safety/stability on the bike.

There are a few other features of eTap that I could possibly try to describe as "advantages", but ^^^that's the big one, the Game Changer, and that's the reason that my next bike will also have eTap.

Very interesting. Any chance you can post a picture of your hand positions?
Old 10-28-20, 10:40 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
WARNING, INCOMING RANT!

But like you said, to each his own. I am a Dinosauer. At 58 (started riding at 5) the bike world is very, very different from what it used to be. 40 years ago most bike discussions were about the engine. You would spend an hour talking about how to get more from your engine (IE your body) and maybe 5 minutes arguing about which was better, Shimano or Campy. Today it is the reverse. Today, show up for a group ride and half the people are fat and they are riding an $8k bike. And good lord...these fatties are wet nursed along, because the shop ruiing the group ride knows who butters their bread. I can't recall one single fat cyclist from back in the day. You got dropped, you were on your own. All the bikers were hard as hell.

End rant
you forgot

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-28-20, 10:43 AM
RadDog
Banned.

LOLOLOL... When I ride in my neighborhood as I pass by the kids I yell "harden up Nancy boys"

https://kingofthehill.fandom.com/wiki/Cotton_Hill
Likes For RadDog:
Old 10-28-20, 11:05 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

That is not true....whatsoever. My GT2 was built in 2002 so it is hardly a model T..
You missed my point.

My point was if you want to be purely mechanical and have no electronics, you should have a Model T where you have to hand crank the engine, no electric starter, gravity feed fuel supply, no fuel pump and you need to ****** the ignition via a lever on the steering wheel to get it running.

No electronic engine management running the fuel supply and ignition.... too fancy for you.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-28-20, 12:07 PM
RadDog
Banned.

I am currently building a motor out of two gerbils and treadwheels. I am injecting them with steroids so I expect some decent power output.
Likes For RadDog:
Old 10-28-20, 12:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I am currently building a motor out of two gerbils and treadwheels. I am injecting them with steroids so I expect some decent power output.
How many gerbils equal 1 horse?

Found that it takes 1658 hamsters to equal 1 hp so I guess that's close for a gerbil.
Old 10-28-20, 12:17 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I didn't think there was a major need for electronic when I got my Wilier with Sram Red eTap - it was nice, sure, but I never really thought it an essential upgrade and accepted it as being a part of the bike I wanted but would have happily accepted mechanical on the same deal.
Then I bought my Madone with Ultegra mechanical and now I'm looking forward to upgrading to the next Dura Ace Di2 when it is eventually released. The reason is that while for general riding I'm still perfectly happy with mechanical, I absolutely prefer electronic shifting for racing.

When racing I like sprint buttons on the drops, I like that a touch on the levers shifts the gear and holding it shifts several gears. It is just better/faster when I want to shift not having to make the larger hand movement mech demands vs touch. I couldn't give a stuff about 'purist' concerns when I am racing - just as I went from 22 years driving manual cars to PDK (and equivalent) and not looking back; I like the faster gear change and I'm not interested in how fast I can do it manually vs electronic when it can never be matched. I will always opt for the faster version.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 10-28-20, 12:30 PM
RadDog
Banned.

How many gerbils equal 1 horse?

Found that it takes 1658 hamsters to equal 1 hp so I guess that's close for a gerbil.
  • NO, NO, No...don't use Hamsters, everyone makes that mistake. You want to go with Guinea Pigs. They are stronger, consume relatively less food and are much less messy and easy to take care of. They also responde to steropids much better. When I inject Hamsters they get gynecomastia, testicular atrophy and rage to the point of constantly fighting. I have to keep them on valium and an estrogen blocker, very expensive.
Likes For RadDog:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.