Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heavy Bikes are better !

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heavy Bikes are better !

Old 10-20-20, 05:52 AM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Heavy bikes give a better workout, keep the speeds down and are more rugged.

I'll take those clunker tanks .... I love em.
Old 10-20-20, 06:31 AM
preventec47

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Heavy Bikes are better !

Unless you are a professional or amateur racer..... Ride as heavy a bike as you can ! You will get a better workout, You will save money as they are cheaper and more rugged requiring less repair, and your crashes will occur at slower speeds. You go out and ride for two hours and come home. Do you really care if you went 30 instead of 40 miles ? The idea was to burn 2500 calories either way.. In addition, everyone who passes you will respect you more than they would if you could blast past them on a whim. All the bike manufacturers spend millions of dollars to brainwash you into thinking you aint cool if you dont have the latest lightest bleeding edge technology. Are you going to let yourself fall victim to that ? Me personally- I like to ride my sixty pound tandem solo. It rides much like a limousine and has many other benefits. Twice I have been able to given broken down motorists a ride back to town.
Likes For preventec47:
Old 10-20-20, 06:49 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I tried that approach when I needed to lose weight, heavy bike with knobby tires. Yep, didn't go as fast and had to work to do that. But what I found is I didn't ride as long either. Put on some smooth tires and ended up with a better workout
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-20-20, 06:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
Unless you are a professional or amateur racer..... Ride as heavy a bike as you can ! You will get a better workout, You will save money as they are cheaper and more rugged requiring less repair, and your crashes will occur at slower speeds. You go out and ride for two hours and come home. Do you really care if you went 30 instead of 40 miles ? The idea was to burn 2500 calories either way.. In addition, everyone who passes you will respect you more than they would if you could blast past them on a whim. All the bike manufacturers spend millions of dollars to brainwash you into thinking you aint cool if you dont have the latest lightest bleeding edge technology. Are you going to let yourself fall victim to that ? Me personally- I like to ride my sixty pound tandem solo. It rides much like a limousine and has many other benefits. Twice I have been able to given broken down motorists a ride back to town.
No thanks. That might work for you, but having ridden some fairly long distances on a 50 pound Walmart Huffy cruiser (90 miles was my max), I'm not going back to super heavy bikes anytime soon.

For me, there's a happy medium of relatively lightweight bikes well short of the "bleeding edge" and it has nothing to do with marketing--I find it a lot more fun to ride a 20 pound bike than a 50 pound one.

As to the respect thing, I don't think the people passing me on a heavy bike are giving two thoughts about me either way. I do know I annoyed a lot of guys when I passed them on the heavy bike and they couldn't keep up with me. On the flat, weight really isn't that big a factor in speed, it's a much bigger factor in acceleration and hill climbing.

Hey, like what you like, more power to you, but I really don't like being accused of being a "victim". .
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 07:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
Once you're rolling on a flat road, heavy bikes don't take any more energy to pedal than light bikes.

Knobby tires do take more energy, but as Pop notes, they're not as much fun to ride.

Now if you can keep up with a group ride, and ring your bell as you pass the leader going uphill, THAT will give you serious points. Of course, it'll probably piss them off and you'll never see the group again after you get over the hill.
Old 10-20-20, 07:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Seems like a good rationalization for riding a cheap-ass bike. Knock yourself out.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-20-20, 07:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
You do you, but I'll stick with a lighter bike. Yes, I do care if I've gone 30 vs. 40 miles. Going further is what I care about. Getting totally winded from riding a heavy bike after 10 miles is not my idea of fun.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-20-20, 07:56 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Heavy bikes don’t have to be slow, but it helps.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-20-20, 07:58 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Heavy bikes are not bad; but better than a lighter bike? Nope.
Old 10-20-20, 08:02 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Heavy bikes are better? If you say so.....

I'll stick with my lighter bikes.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 10-20-20, 08:29 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been saying this for years. When we do a family ride and I swap my hybrid for one of my sons' wide-tired mountain bikes with suspensions, I notice immediately how much more pedaling I have to do. I coast more and put in less effort on my lighter hybrid.
Old 10-20-20, 09:01 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
By that logic I should go back to my old Walmart mountain bike that weighed 40 pounds and was harder than hell to ride. Nope, way too much effort.
Old 10-20-20, 09:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Remember when the first quasi Mountain Bikes were first ridden and developed out in Calif.. A lot of them were the heavier Schwinn Collegiate frames. Heavy and strong.
Old 10-20-20, 09:09 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
My daily commuter is a steel framed longtail cargo bike with e-assist. Doesn't come much heavier than that. I can still bomb down the MUP if I have a light load and tail wind. But then I get on my aluminum mountain bike and it's like there's nothing underneath me!
Old 10-20-20, 09:14 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I ride a heavier gravel bike on the road with 38s ... Though a bit slower I like the durability and capability to then go from the tarmac to gravel. Holds a frame bag for long rides.. but again I’m not racing or care about speed. No a cheap 1000 pound Huffy isn’t in the same bicycling universe but a heavier stouter high end bike has some advantages.
Old 10-20-20, 09:16 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
My first bike in 25 years was a 37 lbs hardtail 29'er I use as a comfort bike. As long as you have enough gears, battle tanks are fun.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-20-20, 09:22 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Some gravel roads are too rugged even for a gravel bike so out comes the front suspension 29er. For fun a cruise my fat bike down a gravel road or trail for just the fun of it.
Old 10-20-20, 09:24 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I like cheating......the wind

my main bike is Aero framed and deep aero wheels

my body is not aero though
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-20-20, 09:28 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
I have an 18 pound bike and a 26 pound bike. I can tell you without reservation that the 18 pound bike is a joy to ride. It's carbon frame and seat post smooth out the bumpiest of roads, and it's much easier to climb hills with grades that exceed 12%. In fact, there are hills where I don't think twice about ascending on my 18 pound bike that aren't even considered on the heavier bike (and that bike has a lower 24/32 gear). At the end of a long hard ride, I feel great getting off the lighter bike, and wonder why I keep the heavier bike (it's now converted to a gravel bike...that's why I keep it).
Old 10-20-20, 09:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10393 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
I've been working hard at taking weight off MY frame, so I won't be adding any on to the bike's, thank you. And it DOES matter to me how far I go. Plus, I'm not sure how a heavy bike will handle the descents I ride on. Just the other day, I saw a guy on a cheap bike go into a death wobble at less than 30 mph. Good thing the bike lane at that point is two cars wide!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-20-20, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I ride a heavier gravel bike on the road with 38s ... Though a bit slower I like the durability and capability to then go from the tarmac to gravel. Holds a frame bag for long rides.. but again I’m not racing or care about speed. No a cheap 1000 pound Huffy isn’t in the same bicycling universe but a heavier stouter high end bike has some advantages.

Agreed that heavier is better for certain purposes, but the premise of the OP is that heavier is cheaper. No way is a good gravel bike cheaper than a somewhat lighter road bike of similar quality.

I think if you take OP at face value, the logical conclusion from the post is that the ideal bike would be the WM clunker as that will be as inefficient a machine as you can get.
Old 10-20-20, 09:55 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
I just chain a log and drag it behind me. Great workout!
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 10-20-20, 10:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I just chain a log and drag it behind me. Great workout!
I disabled the engine on a Harley and added a pair of pedals to drive the chain. Now I'm Superduperman.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 10:07 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Unless you are a professional or amateur racer..... Ride as heavy a bike as you can ! You will get a better workout...
Unfortunately you’re not just years, but decades, late to this party. No offense, but did you actually think this hasn’t been discussed and dismissed many, many times already?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-20-20, 10:27 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It's true that extra weight mostly only come into play when you are accelerating or climbing.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Once you're rolling on a flat road, heavy bikes don't take any more energy to pedal than light bikes.
But if this were true you'd be able to maintain bike speed while pulling a freight train on the flats. So more weight does take more energy. Always. It's only a matter of how much depending on the situation.

OP: get a trailer and load it up with bricks... better work out!
Likes For AlmostTrick:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.