Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Raleigh vs. Bikes Direct

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Raleigh vs BD
Bikes Direct w/ Full Shimano Ultegra
28.57%
Raleigh Revenio 3.0 w/ Shimano 105
71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Raleigh vs. Bikes Direct

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 03:34 PM
Brimstone_
noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh vs. Bikes Direct

I am trying to decide between the following two bikes:

Bikes Direct - Aluminum w/ Ultegra components for $899
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rvus_al_xi.htm

Raleigh Revenio 3.0 full 105 set $1000
This would be from LBS and would come with free labor as long as I own the bike. (This option is included if you buy another $100 in accessories with the bike which I am going to do anyway.)
https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/revenio-30-11/

I have ridden the Raleigh and it is a nice bike. I like the looks of it as well.

The BD is a nice upgrade in components. I don't mind working on the bike myself and taking it in occasionally for things I can't handle on my own.

Opinions?

Last edited by Brimstone_; 03-29-11 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 03:43 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I'd go with the Raleigh. Free service at the LBS is HUGE. I've never ridden Ultegra, but the 105 should be sufficient for any recreational rider. Seriously, the LBS part is a great deal. Get the Raleigh...spend some of the $100 you mention at the LBS to get new tires. Those green things are hideous.
Old 03-29-11, 04:00 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The BD is far from full Ultegra... Full means full.

The Raleigh is 105 except that the crank is the R600.

Would suggest going with the LBS if you are new to this hobby.
Old 03-29-11, 04:04 PM
Brimstone_
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I'd go with the Raleigh. Free service at the LBS is HUGE. I've never ridden Ultegra, but the 105 should be sufficient for any recreational rider. Seriously, the LBS part is a great deal. Get the Raleigh...spend some of the $100 you mention at the LBS to get new tires. Those green things are hideous.
As bad as the green tires are, I like them better than the red tires on the white Revenio 4.0.
Old 03-29-11, 04:07 PM
Brimstone_
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakdiver
The BD is far from full Ultegra... Full means full.
My bad. Corrected the post.
Old 03-29-11, 04:11 PM
EDDIE1963
Specialized Secteur Sport

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Raleigh Revenio 3.0 is a better brand IMHO. I test rode one of those bikes and it fit well. I wouldn't trust a bike I could not ride before purchase.
Old 03-29-11, 05:09 PM
DGozinya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm biased because I was in a similar dilemma and went with the Raleigh. Great bike. And yes, it now has black tires.
The other thing to point out is that these two bikes you list are quite different in terms of rider position. The Raleigh is more relaxed, while the BD is pretty aggressive. You can always flip the Raleigh and lower it, but it will be a chore to raise that BD to get the same feel. Get the Raleigh and get the service.
Old 03-29-11, 06:05 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
6-0
You should know by now that this forum hates Bikes Direct
Old 03-29-11, 06:29 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 122 Posts
I am a bike direct person if you know what you need unlike some of the forum. The major advantage of the BD is the brake shifiters are 6700 clearly better. The major issue I have with the BD is that Gossomer Triple. I would not want a triple ( standard double is fine) and I am not thrilled with mega expo stuff. The 105 cranks are much better. It really is pretty much a toss up but probably better with the Raleigh just becuase of the service and close and nothing wrong with 105 stuff. I would say it is a slight favor in the LBS, but learn to wrench your own bike that helps and keeps you riding without relying on the LBS to get the work done.

Now if I were going to make a suggestion I would go with a Bottecchia on on ebay brand new, $1299 for or $995 depending on what you want. They still have the gossomer cranks but for that price you can live with them of swap it out for a 105 for less than $110. I bought a Bottecchia almost 2 years ago and it is an amazing bike. I have 5000 miles on it, I did upgrade the cranks to shimano for 105 for $100, put Ultegra brakes on for another $100, but the cane creek are fine just put kool stop pads on right away. I have the carbon 662 and after the upgrades it weighs 19 pounds and rides really well, also put on Vred Tri comp tires when the originals wore out.

Be careful they pay me to say these things as a shill.
Old 03-29-11, 10:03 PM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Raleigh, but I don't care about the free service. See if they can reduce the price some and do your own work.
Old 03-29-11, 10:59 PM
sjmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishymamba
6-0
You should know by now that this forum hates Bikes Direct
I happen to love Bikes Direct, but do not like this particular bike vs the Raleigh.
Old 03-30-11, 06:49 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Buy the Raleigh.
Old 03-30-11, 11:13 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the Raleigh if it fits. It's already been mentioned that these two frames are quite different. The Raleigh has an oddly steep seat tube angle that could result in a need for more saddle setback than usual. But if you can ride it first then pull that trigger. I would say the Raleigh has better frame tech and the added bonus of a full 105 group vs. a mix of good and cheap components.
Old 03-30-11, 04:11 PM
DGozinya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
The Raleigh has an oddly steep seat tube angle that could result in a need for more saddle setback than usual.
74* is odd? Seems close to the Trek 1&2 series at 73.7* same size frame (54 equiv.). But, come to think of it, my Brooks is pretty far back on the rails - not ridiculous, but back. Hmm, off to check some other frames...
Old 03-30-11, 04:24 PM
DGozinya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, not really that different... (all 54cm frames) Specialized Secteur - 73.5*, Fuji Newest 1.0 - 73.7*, Cannondale Synapse Alloy - 74*
Old 03-30-11, 05:01 PM
lesdunham
Michigan Rider

Bikes: Pinarello, Motobecane Immortal Force, Diamondback, Fischer (German)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the same money as the Raleigh why not this from BD?
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e/sprint_x.htm
Carbon fork and stays help comfort very much. With Ultegra 6700 drive train is a great value. imo

My Moto IF will have its 6th Bday this year and 17k miles later it is still the best for me.
Old 03-30-11, 05:30 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DGozinya
Hmm, not really that different... (all 54cm frames) Specialized Secteur - 73.5*, Fuji Newest 1.0 - 73.7*, Cannondale Synapse Alloy - 74*
76 deg for the 49 (51) to 74 deg for the 56 (56.5). Yeah, it's not crazy but still steeper than most. Those looking for setback would need a bit more with the Raleigh frame.
Old 03-30-11, 05:37 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brimstone_
I am trying to decide between the following two bikes:

Bikes Direct - Aluminum w/ Ultegra components for $899
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rvus_al_xi.htm

Raleigh Revenio 3.0 full 105 set $1000
This would be from LBS and would come with free labor as long as I own the bike. (This option is included if you buy another $100 in accessories with the bike which I am going to do anyway.)
https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/revenio-30-11/

I have ridden the Raleigh and it is a nice bike. I like the looks of it as well.

The BD is a nice upgrade in components. I don't mind working on the bike myself and taking it in occasionally for things I can't handle on my own.

Opinions?
The "free service" is most certainly free "minor adjustments" which is quick brake/derailleur cable tension adjustments, quick wheel truing without taking the wheel off the bike, etc. If you wanted to replace your chain/cassette a few years later, I guarantee you would be charged labor. If I were you I'd make sure the free service is what you think it is before weighing your options.
Old 03-30-11, 10:48 PM
Brimstone_
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radial1999
The "free service" is most certainly free "minor adjustments" which is quick brake/derailleur cable tension adjustments, quick wheel truing without taking the wheel off the bike, etc. If you wanted to replace your chain/cassette a few years later, I guarantee you would be charged labor. If I were you I'd make sure the free service is what you think it is before weighing your options.
Actually, they provide free labor. They won't install parts you have purchased elsewhere, but pretty much as long as you buy any new parts from them, they will install them or make any other adjustments you need. I went into detail with them about this because I can get the same bike at another LBS for the same price, but their deal is a little different. They offer free tune-ups for a year and then 20% off all accessories (forever).
Old 03-31-11, 12:11 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Revenio 3.0 full 105 set $1000 from LBS with free labor.
Old 03-31-11, 04:31 AM
USAF1C1X1

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.5FX, 2010 Trek 7.3FX, Nashbar Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brimstone_
Actually, they provide free labor. They won't install parts you have purchased elsewhere, but pretty much as long as you buy any new parts from them, they will install them or make any other adjustments you need. I went into detail with them about this because I can get the same bike at another LBS for the same price, but their deal is a little different. They offer free tune-ups for a year and then 20% off all accessories (forever).
So where is the savings? It does you no good if they sell you replacement parts at inflated prices (LBS's are notorious for this) just to say, "Oh we will install it for free."
Old 03-31-11, 06:18 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I guess I don't understand this question. For $101. you can support your local shop? Get your year of free tune ups, and free labor? REALLY?

Plus when you really need something, you can go in and get it. You can go touch and see in person what you are thinking about.
What about if you have a warranty problem? BD will handle it, I think? But your LBS will be there for you to talk to in person, and you won't have to take the bike apart and ship it off!
I could go on and on. But you get the idea!

You get that kind of service for one hundred dollars more? This is no question at all. Buy the LBS bike.

I'm not down on BD at all! They have some things that a a very good deal and worth the money, BUT a hundred dollars? For being local worth the $$$!
Old 03-31-11, 08:55 AM
Brimstone_
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like I will be going to the LBS on Friday morning. I am going to try the Revenio again and also I want to try out a 2010 Marin Argenta (https://www.marinbikes.com/2010/bike_...?serialnum=786) that they have for $1100. I will most likely go with one of those two.
Old 03-31-11, 09:09 AM
K. Olsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno how the Raleigh fits you, but it's hot. I would get it.
Old 03-31-11, 10:54 AM
TheRedWolf

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo; 2007 Specialized Sequoia; 2011 Bike Friday Pocket Sport (for traveling & touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I almost pulled the trigger on the Raleigh, great deal with the 105, but it's not just the tires. The cable housings and some decals are matching lime green. Cool at first glance, but would be tired of it very quickly. I'm back to considering the Specialized Secteur myself. Unless I can justify the jump to carbon.

Bikes need to be like cars, multiple color options for each model. I know some manufacturers do offer, but appears to be the exception.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.