Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mythbusting the Naysayers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mythbusting the Naysayers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 05:40 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to disagree on the weight issue...and it doesnt have to do woth ludditeism or being broke...I can throw down the cash on a full CF bike if I wanted to, but it's not worth it since I'm not at that level where the gain is really worth it.

My gipe about lightweight is folks buy it in hopes of being faster...hate to say it, but the bicycle is one of the few machines in the world where the engine is nearly 80-90% of the total vehicular weight....that engine is YOU!

My whole view on it is yes, in a race it matters...for fun or commuting, why bother...just get a nice bike and ride....if it happens to be light, cool....but obsessng over bike weight gets little practical use...well except that extra 10-12 grams shaved off the ol` wallet

Basically to me, if you don't race, get it only if you like looking good or having high tech stuff...aside from that double butted 7005al and a CF fork will serve you quite well
Old 01-04-05, 05:45 PM
53-11 alltheway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About tubular glue melting.....what are the chances of this really happening? Divekrb said that when he uses the extreme tape he has to use a heat gun to remove it.....sounds pretty damn tough to me.

In modern pro racing how often does a tubie come unglued? (I noted the myth above regarding a certain rider has already been disproven....what about other cases?)
Old 01-04-05, 05:47 PM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
These elitists sure crack me up. I'd like to see you suffer your way through knee pain.
Heh, one must have a lot of intelligence to prefer to ride 40rpm up a steep hill with a double.
Old 01-04-05, 05:49 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catatonic
I have to disagree on the weight issue...and it doesnt have to do woth ludditeism or being broke...I can throw down the cash on a full CF bike if I wanted to, but it's not worth it since I'm not at that level where the gain is really worth it.

My gipe about lightweight is folks buy it in hopes of being faster...hate to say it, but the bicycle is one of the few machines in the world where the engine is nearly 80-90% of the total vehicular weight....that engine is YOU!
Divekrb is right in that for racing every gram over 15 pounds is one gram to much. If you are serious about winning you are going to ride a 15 lb bike.....period.

Now for getting in shape.....lightweight doesn't matter (or may even be counterproductive if the area you live in isn't challenging enough).
Old 01-04-05, 05:52 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brent_dube
Heh, one must have a lot of intelligence to prefer to ride 40rpm up a steep hill with a double.
I agree.....That's why I told that new guy who was walking some hills to get lower gears (mtn cassette if necessary) and spin (80-100 rpm) the hardest gear he could do.
Old 01-04-05, 07:14 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Myth: The choice of a double or triple as proof of ones manhood has no bearing on a cyclist’s intelligence.

Used by: Double snobs that don't realize that I am pushing a bigger gear in my middle ring on my triple than they are on their double. Maybe a few of those 50+ stopped double riders I passed while climbing "the wall" non-stop with my triple during the Solvang century.

Truth: An intelligent person will chose the correct "tool" (crankset) for their riding conditions and not worry about what people will think as he passes them. Having less equipment does not make you more of a man. (True on several fronts)

Proof: Just look at the spelling in this thread from some of the double preachers.

Additional Fact: Not everyone lives in Maryland. If everyone did, nobody would need a triple. That would be like me (in so Cal) preaching against shoe covers. I just can't see why anyone needs them........racers here don't use them.........they are for wimps.......blah, blah, blah.
Old 01-04-05, 07:43 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
Divekrb is right in that for racing every gram over 15 pounds is one gram to much. If you are serious about winning you are going to ride a 15 lb bike.....period.

Now for getting in shape.....lightweight doesn't matter (or may even be counterproductive if the area you live in isn't challenging enough).
Heh I mentioned that point in the bit below

It's the non racers that flip out over weight being a performance hindrance that is a waste.
Old 01-04-05, 08:01 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
Myth: The choice of a double or triple as proof of ones manhood has no bearing on a cyclist’s intelligence.

Used by: Double snobs that don't realize that I am pushing a bigger gear in my middle ring on my triple than they are on their double. Maybe a few of those 50+ stopped double riders I passed while climbing "the wall" non-stop with my triple during the Solvang century.

Truth: An intelligent person will chose the correct "tool" (crankset) for their riding conditions and not worry about what people will think as he passes them. Having less equipment does not make you more of a man. (True on several fronts)

Proof: Just look at the spelling in this thread from some of the double preachers.

Additional Fact: Not everyone lives in Maryland. If everyone did, nobody would need a triple. That would be like me (in so Cal) preaching against shoe covers. I just can't see why anyone needs them........racers here don't use them.........they are for wimps.......blah, blah, blah.

I 2d your rply...
Old 01-04-05, 08:16 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never been passed by someone riding a triple. it seems like some of you are really insecure about the fact that you use the "b-gear." i say take your triple and get over it. no one really cares, and if they do -- oh well.
and as for you HUGE 42t triple boasters -- maybe if you used a double with a 39t you wouldn't have to resort to idling up so many hills in that little 5t or whatever it is when you realize you're in over your head.
Old 01-04-05, 09:08 PM
dtufts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Myth: these cycling forums are chaulk full of accurate information posted by knowledgeable, altruistic cyclists

Used By: those who cannot think for themselves, those who need the approval of others

Truth: the information on this board is only as accurate as the reader's personal filter of common sense

Additional Facts: caveat emptor -- "The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying."
Old 01-05-05, 12:24 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by divekrb

------------------

Myth: Taking weight off your bike is not worth the time/money.

Used By: Luddites, the Financially Impaired

Truth: Not for you maybe

Additional facts: Most people, if they were riding uphill with 2-6 pounds of rocks in their pockets, might be inclined to take them out. If you think you need them for training, try upshifting instead.

----------

Myth: It's all marketing hype

Truth: Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Additional Facts: In the long term, advertising can only sell a bad product for a short time. If this wasn't the case then there would still be a place to get my Yugo serviced. Most things get better (by quantifiable measurement) over time. My knees are not included in this.

---------

Feel free to add to the list.
I hate to respond to such an obvious troll by such an obvious P.O.S. , but that's some deep ****, right there. The only people who truly need the ultralight bikes are professionals to give them an extra edge. People who aren't willing to lighten their bike with generous infusions of money shouldn't be looked down upon and insulted, just seen as pragmatic. I'm happy that you have the money for a light bike, but the people who really need light bikes get them from their sponsors, so I think you're probably just an elitist.
As for marketing hype being defined by consumer need, well, I'm happy you live in that world, must be a cool place. Coca Cola is a great example of a company that spends a great deal to manufacture a percieved need for their product. Where would human civilization be without brown sugar water?
Anyway, maybe the next time you put your 15 pound bike on top of your car, so you can drive 50 miles and ride 10, you'll get thirsty on the way and stop for a Coke and a Big Mac on the way. I'm sure one of the "Financially Challenged" would be happy to take your order.
I hope that one day, if I'm financially capable of owning a CF bike, I'll wake up in the morning and thank God for how blessed I am, instead of pissed off at all the jealous poor. Congratulations on being so crass, Divekrb!

Last edited by KrisPistofferson; 01-05-05 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 12:42 AM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if people were writing good stuff like this I wouldn't be spamming so much
Uhh, I think you mean trolling. Unless there is some unyet spoken of product you have been pushing these last few months (possibly you're a salesmen for 180+ cranks..?).
Old 01-05-05, 12:44 AM
feltdude
dog = interval

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Laggard
Myth: Spending $500 to save one pound is worth the money.

Used By: Rich folk with no willpower to eat well and lose weight.

Truth: Three pounds off the body is better than three off the bike.

Additional facts: Your average bloke will stop by McDonalds on his way home from purchasing his new carbon fibre seat post.
Myth: All people on light bikes are lazy

Used By: Fat people, poor people, jealous people

Truth: I have 4% body fat. There is no weight to lose off my body. Bite me.

Additional Facts: There's a whole kinetic energy, propelling the bikes own weight vs. your weight on the bike debate to be had here, but not by me.
Old 01-05-05, 06:57 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divekrb
Go back and watch it. They were commenting on the tarmac melting, not the glue, just before they entered the corner. Tire didn't blow, he locked the wheel (you can see the spokes freeze), slid, let off the brakes, causing the tire to hook back up and fling him to the other side, starting the back and forth that pitched him off. If the tire had rolled or blew out he would have low-sided. Freeze frame when they show Beloki and the back wheel. Tire's on the rim in perfect alignment.
This is exactly what happened. He overbraked the rear and started to slide. You would think a pro rider could descend and corner better, but I guess not. If he had braked harder with the front, let off the brakes and straitened up he could have made the corner.
Old 01-05-05, 07:54 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
This is exactly what happened. He overbraked the rear and started to slide. You would think a pro rider could descend and corner better, but I guess not. If he had braked harder with the front, let off the brakes and straitened up he could have made the corner.
i have a feeling that tarmac so wet that its melting is pretty sketch to corner on. couldve happened to anyone.
Old 01-05-05, 07:58 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Truth: a 39x25 is a small enough gear for your average bloke to get up most any climb. Run out of gear? Stand up!!!
I don't wanna sound like a double ring hero, but I've gotta agree somewhat with this one.

I've never seen the mountains in Colorado, but I tend to think that triples are often used by people
who never wanna puff, never want their HR to go over 150, and who think that mountains should be as easy as rolling on a flat road.

Last edited by 531Aussie; 01-05-05 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 08:18 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About tubular glue melting.....what are the chances of this really happening? Divekrb said that when he uses the extreme tape he has to use a heat gun to remove it.....sounds pretty damn tough to me.

In modern pro racing how often does a tubie come unglued? (I noted the myth above regarding a certain rider has already been disproven....what about other cases?)
Well, I can say for certain that it does happen. I just got a copy of the 1989 Tour de France dvd and witnessed a rider lose the tubular tire off the back rim causing him to go down hard in a turn. It was on a very hot day. I don't recall the name of the rider or what the exact temp was, but I'll go re-watch it to find out.
Old 01-05-05, 08:21 AM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalanche325

But you still don't get it.........It's just like my anti-bike shorts crusade......It doesn't matter what you need or prefer.....it's what they think you should be using. Some people here don't care if your house is at the bottom of the grand canyon. They live on flat ground and "real men use doubles".......Now they can't understand why the guy who lives in the house at the bottom of the grand canyon doesn't use a double too.
Old 01-05-05, 08:25 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
I don't wanna sound like a double ring hero, but I've gotta agree somewhat with this one.

I've never seen the mountains in Colorado, but I tend to think that triples are often used by people
who never wanna puff, never want their HR to go over 150, and who think that mountains should be as easy rolling on a flat road.
You left out fat, slow mofo's who think riding a bike is akin to sitting in their lazyboy and watching the tube....
Old 01-05-05, 08:34 AM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=All guys in this forum who live in flat areas and don't ride their bikes for very long][/QUOTE}

I have lived on the Westcoast, Midwest, and East coast.

Most of the places I've lived I could easily get away with a 56/42 and 11-21....no kidding. Holy $#@! most places you could get by on a fixed gear hills are so flat there. 56-11 would be more of a downhill/tailwind gear in that case.

I used to live in Boston and I remember one guy bragging about his hill climbing and his double.....the dude in question went to same college I did back there.

I was thinking to myself........Why is this guy bragging because the area in question is not challenging in the least. Makes me wonder why he wasn't using 11-21.

Last edited by 53-11 alltheway; 01-05-05 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 08:38 AM
Don Cook

Bikes: Raleigh, Benotto, Schwinn, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote divekrb ..."Myth: Taking weight off your bike is not worth the time/money.

Truth: Not for you maybe"

This statement (and a couple of others) are variations of your analogy about dying in the bathtub, but failing to mention the hairdryer. Oftentimes, different people have substantially different perspectives on what's really important. There are many (myself included) that ride bicycles that weigh more than 20 lbs. In fact I have three of them. Yet I can't think of any sub 16 pound bike that I couldn't buy three of if that's what was important to me. No, I don't fill my pockets with rocks, but I don't obsess over whether or not any of my bikes are as light as they could possibly be. I ride them, a lot, and I've been doing it and enjoying it for probably longer than most memebers of this forum have been alive.
Old 01-05-05, 08:38 AM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feltdude
Additional Facts: There's a whole kinetic energy, propelling the bikes own weight vs. your weight on the bike debate to be had here, but not by me.
The only weight on your bike that is more beneficial to lose than weight elsewhere is the wheels......besides that pretty much weight is weight doesn't matter where is comes from.
Old 01-05-05, 08:52 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Personally I'm just happy to see people out there riding. I don't care if they are riding a triple with a 34 tooth on the back.

As far as what type bike, what weight or anything else ride what you want to ride or can afford or can justify.........just ride!

FWIW, I ride a Ti bike with a double that is anything but cheap. That doesn't make me a better rider than anyone here. It's just what I want to ride.
Old 01-05-05, 09:05 AM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nick burns
Well, I can say for certain that it does happen. I just got a copy of the 1989 Tour de France dvd and witnessed a rider lose the tubular tire off the back rim causing him to go down hard in a turn. It was on a very hot day. I don't recall the name of the rider or what the exact temp was, but I'll go re-watch it to find out.
You sure it was a tubie? Because tires off rims sounds like what happens to clinchers when they blow out
Old 01-05-05, 10:13 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtufts
Myth: these cycling forums are chaulk full of accurate information posted by knowledgeable, altruistic cyclists

Used By: those who cannot think for themselves, those who need the approval of others

Truth: the information on this board is only as accurate as the reader's personal filter of common sense

Additional Facts: caveat emptor -- "The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying."
True dat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.