Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

your thoughts on lance

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 02:32 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Bikes: Torelli 20th Anniversary, Trek 2000, Kona NuNu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think getting fourth last year will give Ullrich the motivation (at least I hope) to prepare better this time around.... I would LOVE to see him in Yellow riding into Paris..
Old 02-20-05, 12:39 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He'll have to race a hell of a lot more earlier in the season and especially after the Tour when he traditionally hangs 'em up. Guys like Bettini, Rebellin, Friere, Valverde, and Zabel will accrue more points simply because they race anywhere, anytime.
Old 02-20-05, 01:24 PM
Crack'n'fail
Photog Extraordinaire

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale R800 (CAAD4) with Dura-Ace upgrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance will win.

That being said, if he is going to be beaten I certainly hope it is Ullrich who pips him. Think about it, coming in 4th was an off year for this guy. He's classy and strong, hopefully he gets another yellow jersey before his time is done.
Old 02-20-05, 01:58 PM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not just Lance that will win I think. It's his team that will win. If you put Lance on Credit Agrigole or almost any other Pro Team he may not win. I think a lot of people give Lance too much credit. Don't get me wrong, he is the man. But his team is THE TEAM.
Old 02-22-05, 12:25 PM
trekcyclist1000
Livestrong

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Lance will probably win because of his stable team but there are a lot of great riders out there who will give him a run for his money...ex: Damiano Cunego, Tom Danielson,Alejandro Valeverde....
Old 02-22-05, 12:48 PM
Bigmikepowell
Mike Powell

Bikes: Giant TCR, Klein Quantum Pro, Crosshair Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares. They are all on drugs, and with silly UCI rules, arn't riding the best bikes. Bit contentious but I can't take seriously a sport that has such an ambivilant attitute towards drugs. The madness of it all is that the UK's cycling hero, somebody or other Simpson, died when he was wacked out of his body on drugs. Why is he a hero?

Maybe they should change the rules and just say drug taking is fine. Who cares who wins until this lot is sorted out.
Old 02-22-05, 01:06 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigmikepowell
with silly UCI rules, arn't riding the best bikes.
Huh?
Old 02-22-05, 02:35 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anything in the Pro Tour rules that would keep LA from showing up at the start line, riding along for a few hours and then abadoning the events?
Old 02-22-05, 02:43 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smoothie104
Is there anything in the Pro Tour rules that would keep LA from showing up at the start line, riding along for a few hours and then abadoning the events?
No. But what would be the point?
Old 02-22-05, 02:46 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Trev Doyle
It's not just Lance that will win I think. It's his team that will win. If you put Lance on Credit Agrigole or almost any other Pro Team he may not win. I think a lot of people give Lance too much credit. Don't get me wrong, he is the man. But his team is THE TEAM.
Yes but is it THE TEAM because Lance is THE MAN? It is a Chicken and Egg thing. At some point he gets the credit for assembling THE TEAM and for those riders wanted to ride for him. If you don't think Lance has his hands in the pick of every rider on his squad you are fooling yourself.
Old 02-22-05, 03:58 PM
Bigmikepowell
Mike Powell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes have to be made of tubes, no monoques, there is a minimium weight restriction and dimensional restrictions. You couldn't race a recumbent for instance. If these rules where not in place the bikes that we ride on the street would would be total different and better. Chuck the rules away, let design and innovation flourish.
Old 02-22-05, 04:13 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is the UCI wants to keep the sport from turning into a competition based on technology.
Old 02-23-05, 04:54 AM
Bigmikepowell
Mike Powell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is just daft, it already is. The moment you put sports people together with equipment unless it is standard issue equipment, technology will become important. Just look at the technical innovations to get round the UCI rules already. It just increases the cost of finding ways to get equipment advantage and my big beef means that this filters into the commercial market giving us bikes that are less than the best and more expensive for a given performance than they have to be.
Old 02-23-05, 05:25 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigmikepowell
Bikes have to be made of tubes, no monoques
Tell that to these guys. Most of that team's members ride this bike which is full monocoque.

Technology and legalese turned the America's Cup into a debacle. I'd rather the UCI keep a firm handle on what is and isn't legal to race.
Old 02-23-05, 06:16 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Lance is an American icon..We all want him to win...But he has set a record already..My question.."It is about the bike."? He is doing what he loves. RIght. Some young stud comes along..Sooner or later one is gonna knock you out..Muscles age with age...That is why we have categories in bike races for those over 40..
Is it a crime to be best in your age group...Cunego is a boy wonder for his age. Who knows what will happen. I am countin on Lance doing it..But what is so magic about 6/7? Bet no one will top Lance record in our time.
Old 02-23-05, 10:44 AM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Win or lose he's still the greatest. Most of the guys aren't young enough to even think about breaking Lance's record. I wonder how that feels
Old 02-23-05, 01:41 PM
Bigmikepowell
Mike Powell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats the point. Monocoque made to look like tubes. They are off down the America's cup legalease route. What is the point of designing a monocoque bike to look like tubes. From the other side how far can you distort tubes to make it resemble a compact monocoque design.
Old 02-24-05, 11:46 AM
lennyparis

Bikes: 2017 Tarmac Pro, 2014 S-Works Tarmac, 2011 Trek Madone 6.2, 2014 Trek Madone 5.9 & 2009 Specialized Hardtail

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why is 7 so magical? So what if that is the record. He rides to win no matter what the record is (was).

Did Cal Ripken stop playing once he broke Lou Gehrig's record? No because he plays because he loves the game and not to break a record.

Go Lance.
Old 02-24-05, 12:15 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think 7 is a magical # but he seemed to hint on Oprah that his age may be a limiting factor. He might have other things that he is passionate about that he wants to do. Dunno. I hope he keeps on going but only because he wants to.
Old 02-24-05, 01:27 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I thought when LA won his last tour, he might be satisified because he probably has a record for maybe this century..Maybe another will give added insurance...
Was there not hints that he might try the Vuelta or Giro..Never once has he competed in either....Winning the Giro...be photographed in a pink jersey...But Italian podium girls are hottest....Question...Which climbing is worse...Italian Alps or French...?
Old 03-05-05, 09:16 PM
roadgator
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think you can only strongly factor the team in his fifth (2003) win. in 1999-2001 postal was by no means the dominant team. in 2002 they were arguably the top team but lance was so dominant that year it didnt realy matter. only in 2003 when lance was off did they realy come through for him. think about it, his 61 second winning margin was LESS than the time postal put over ulrich's bianchi squad in th TTT. ulrich dominated the first TT while lance looked plain sick, and lance wouldnt have had a chance of saving face in the mountains if it wasnt for heras killing himself to keep the other riders in check.

that said. i think lance will win this year becuse he has shown he knows how to prepare for and strategize the tour better than any other man alive. lance will have to be noticably off or have some very bad luck to win. however i hope its a much scrapier fight this year than last, it was so dissapointing to see the big names (mayo, heras, hamilton, ulrich, beloki) either not enter, drop out, or just be off form last year. in 2004 you knew that lance could (and usualy did) win every day he got on the bike. this year i hope he looses a few battles becuse he just couldnt pedal any harder--not because it was tactically adventageous or even polite to let the other guy win-- but still wins the war.
Old 03-06-05, 09:55 AM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
The riders you mentioned all work as hard as Lance. It's unfair and wrong to say that they don't. Just because you don't see them in your neighborhood doesn't mean that they aren't training hard. It's quite possible that instead of training specifically for the TDF they may instead actually be (gasp!) racing. Imagine that.
If they're out racing, then they aren't working as hard for a Tour de France win.

Originally Posted by Trev Doyle
Over-hype about the team. Really, could you give any reasons for that assumption?

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Was there not hints that he might try the Vuelta or Giro..Never once has he competed in either....
Huh? He has finished 4th in the Vuelta.

Last edited by brent_dube; 03-06-05 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-06-05, 02:26 PM
st. nicks

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Lemond Zurich, old Diamond Back with a milk crate on the back for ridin' around town

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope that Lance loses in a close race, then comes back and wins in '06.
Old 03-22-05, 08:18 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Is there a time where lance won with a crappy team? If not then I wanna see lance win with a crappy team....
Old 03-22-05, 09:12 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aadhils
Is there a time where lance won with a crappy team? If not then I wanna see lance win with a crappy team....
Don't hold your breath. He, his coach and his team director are just too smart to try something that stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.