Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drop bar ends or aero bars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 12:55 PM
intbiker

Bikes: Saracen DirtTrax 2000, ancient Mongoose road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I currently have a mountain bike and, as my budget won't allow me to buy a road bike yet, I'm trying to make it into a jack-of-all-trades. So, I was wondering whether I should buy some aero bars or drop bar ends. For example, something like brakes...I'd still like to have some straight brake levers for the bit of mountain biking that I do, but if I get drop bars, I'd like to have brake levers on those, too. I've seen several of those old brake levers with extensions(or whatever they are-safety levers?) for sale online, are those a good option if I go with drop bars?

What are the pros and cons of drop bars vs. aero bars?

I've been somewhat leaning towards drop bars, just because I'm familiar with them. I hope I'm not being repetitive and asking a question that's already been answered somewhere. And I'm NOT trying to spark a debate. Mainly the question is, are drop bars or aero bars better for adding to a hybrid/jack-of-all-trades bike?
Old 04-29-16, 12:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Leave the bars be..Just get some smooth road tires.

Old 04-29-16, 01:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Graeme Obree used a 'Superman posture' on the Bike .. to give the Hour record a Go, on the track..
https://www.wolfgang-menn.de/pics/obree7.jpg
your hands make the aero entry into the airstream .. but you have to bend way over low also ..

https://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/pho...perman_600.jpg

same topics are repeated endlessly, you are not the first .. if you do find where the same topic was asked before

and continue on it,

the moniker 'Zombie thread' is thrown about. there is no right way.

dual control pieces are made for triathlon cycle , but They are expensive, but those people

want to win by shopping . if they can ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-29-16 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 01:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just drape my forearms across the ergo grips on my hybrid's bars. Helps get a lower profile into headwinds and uphills. Works well enough I'm gonna pony up for the pricey Ergon grips that lock into place. My current grips are comfortable but the friction fit won't hold and I hafta twist them back to the desired position a couple of times every ride.

Personally I wouldn't get the Ergon GP2 or similar grips with bar end extensions. That looks like a disaster waiting to happen for a bike that will be ridden on trails where brush or overhangs can snag. Those might be okay for a bike that will be ridden only on the road. I just want the GP1, locking version of my current grips.
Old 04-29-16, 01:29 PM
intbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I just drape my forearms across the ergo grips on my hybrid's bars. Helps get a lower profile into headwinds and uphills. Works well enough I'm gonna pony up for the pricey Ergon grips that lock into place. My current grips are comfortable but the friction fit won't hold and I hafta twist them back to the desired position a couple of times every ride.

Personally I wouldn't get the Ergon GP2 or similar grips with bar end extensions. That looks like a disaster waiting to happen for a bike that will be ridden on trails where brush or overhangs can snag. Those might be okay for a bike that will be ridden only on the road. I just want the GP1, locking version of my current grips.
I guess some type of bars would be an option. Ha, I've done that too, just drape my arms over the handlebars, but it kind of hurts if there's not much there as far as padding or anything
Old 04-29-16, 01:30 PM
intbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Leave the bars be..Just get some smooth road tires.
Oh that too, for sure...
Old 04-29-16, 04:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
i've use aero bars and I've converted to genuine dropbars not drop bar ends. I've also use normal bar ends that were long but mounted them between the shifters and the stem on a straight bar. That gives something to hang onto and lets you assume a somewhat aero position.

If I were to use dropbar bar ends I would be leery about putting brake levers on them because I'd be concerned about torque when baking hard. That's why I went with genuine dropbars on some of my MTB conversions.

Bar ends mounted inboard of the shifters and brake levers on a straight bar.

MTB On The Trail 01b by Miele Man, on Flickr

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 04-29-16 at 04:19 PM. Reason: image not showing
Old 04-29-16, 05:23 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I did both bar ends and aero bar when all I had was a MTB based commuter. I needed multiple hand positions and added bar ends inboard on my wide handle bars. Then I added an aerobar.
You can see it here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...l#post18249346
Old 04-30-16, 05:40 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I use drop bar ends on two flat bar road bikes I have and they work great. You'll find your MTB bars too wide for the drops though, and you'll need to cut some off the end of the bars.
Old 04-30-16, 04:26 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You can always do what Sheldon Brown did and mount BOTH a dropbar and above it a straight bar.

Sheldon Brown's 1974 Brown Bicycle

About 1/2+ down the page for the image.

Cheers
Old 05-08-16, 10:35 AM
intbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
i've use aero bars and I've converted to genuine dropbars not drop bar ends. I've also use normal bar ends that were long but mounted them between the shifters and the stem on a straight bar. That gives something to hang onto and lets you assume a somewhat aero position.

If I were to use dropbar bar ends I would be leery about putting brake levers on them because I'd be concerned about torque when baking hard. That's why I went with genuine dropbars on some of my MTB conversions.

Bar ends mounted inboard of the shifters and brake levers on a straight bar.

MTB On The Trail 01b by Miele Man, on Flickr

Cheers
Well I somewhat copied this setup, and so far I like it...but I guess time will tell. Maybe sometime I'll change them, and the real drop bars might happen sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7906.jpg (88.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-09-16, 08:23 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intbiker
Hey, I currently have a mountain bike and, as my budget won't allow me to buy a road bike yet, I'm trying to make it into a jack-of-all-trades. So, I was wondering whether I should buy some aero bars or drop bar ends. For example, something like brakes...I'd still like to have some straight brake levers for the bit of mountain biking that I do, but if I get drop bars, I'd like to have brake levers on those, too. I've seen several of those old brake levers with extensions(or whatever they are-safety levers?) for sale online, are those a good option if I go with drop bars?

What are the pros and cons of drop bars vs. aero bars?

I've been somewhat leaning towards drop bars, just because I'm familiar with them. I hope I'm not being repetitive and asking a question that's already been answered somewhere. And I'm NOT trying to spark a debate. Mainly the question is, are drop bars or aero bars better for adding to a hybrid/jack-of-all-trades bike?
Are you considering completely replacing the handlebar? If so I would replace the flat bar with a drop road bike handlebar. I own an "inexpensive" pair of aero bars, and not only do they make it impossible to mount any cool stuff on the handlebars, they are constantly coming out of adjustment. So I would say go with the drop bars.
Old 05-09-16, 08:43 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're going to spend more money replacing the bars/brakes/shifters than you would just buying a cheap old craigslist road bike. Not to mention the time saving with not having to switch out brakes/shifters/housings/cables/stems. Converting a bike (regularly) from drop to flat or from flat to drop bars is not a trivial process.
Old 05-09-16, 08:48 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by shafter
Are you considering completely replacing the handlebar? If so I would replace the flat bar with a drop road bike handlebar. I own an "inexpensive" pair of aero bars, and not only do they make it impossible to mount any cool stuff on the handlebars, they are constantly coming out of adjustment. So I would say go with the drop bars.
That would cost more money than the project would be worth. Op might be able to find a used road bike for a little more than such a project might cost.

If changing handlebars is a thought, maybe try some butterfly trekking bars, or something like the Velo Orange Casey Crazy Bar.
Old 05-09-16, 09:55 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
That would cost more money than the project would be worth. Op might be able to find a used road bike for a little more than such a project might cost.

If changing handlebars is a thought, maybe try some butterfly trekking bars, or something like the Velo Orange Casey Crazy Bar.
Both good choices. I converted a straight bar mtb to trekking bars for long days in the saddle on paths, and gravel riding. Work great. I think I would also like the Jones Loop bars, as those would have at least allowed me to mount some of the more traditional rear view mirrors, plus tons of space for mounting other of the many items that seem to find their way onto the handle bars
Old 05-09-16, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Figure 8 bend trekking/butterfly bars offer many advantages of drop bars in their bend shape.

But you get to keep all your straight bar controls , cables as is .

cost minimal.. $25 ish .. plus 2 rolls of padded tape ..

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...ZNeRoC3qbw_wcB
Old 05-10-16, 08:46 AM
intbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys for all the suggestions!