Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

You like campy? Just like campy!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 02:26 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts

These came into the shop.

cute!!

Inspired huh??!?
Old 08-01-23, 07:08 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Cyclone?

Old 08-01-23, 07:57 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I love Campy. But how the mighty have fallen.

it's just a name now. I suspect Valentino's kids are shopping the company to "investors"

who wouldn't be ? they cannot possibly compete with Shimano from an R&D standpoint.

I suspect the value of the brand is 2-> 2.5 billion max

if bought, it will be reduced to hawking chinese made branded logo sunglasses and jackets.

I wish they would re-pop a real vintage gruppo. Maybe with 7 speeds and a 110 BCD alloy crank

Prolly won't happen

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-01-23, 08:02 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
MKS RX-1 Keirin pedals.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike
Old 08-01-23, 08:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I love Campy. But how the mighty have fallen.

it's just a name now. I suspect Valentino's kids are shopping the company to "investors"

who wouldn't be ? they cannot possibly compete with Shimano from an R&D standpoint.

I suspect the value of the brand is 2-> 2.5 billion max

if bought, it will be reduced to hawking chinese made branded logo sunglasses and jackets.

I wish they would re-pop a real vintage gruppo. Maybe with 7 speeds and a 110 BCD alloy crank

Prolly won't happen

/markp
I'm going to have to disagree with most everything you wrote. Campagnolo innovated 65-70 years ago, milked that cash cow and did nothing util they got their asses handed to them 40 years ago. Their business mistakes were 40 years ago, get over it.

No, a small R&D group can innovate, happens all of the time, but it is mostly luck, as with all R&D groups. Maybe you can increase the odds by being bigger, but most of the time bigger means slow.

No clue on their valuation, I'd like to know where your number appeared to you. But if your crystal ball guess on what they will do if bought is any indicator, I'd say it is equally wrong.

Why in god's name would any company make an obsolete part? To lose money on the 500 people who will buy it? It get abused in threads like this like when Jan Heine does it? Or the company that makes a 12-speed bar end did?

And what company isn't just a name? Shimano is a name. SRAM is a name. Suntour is a name. What's your point? That Tullio is dead? Yup, he is.
Likes For iab:
Old 08-01-23, 09:16 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Campagnolo rose to where they got because of quality and innovation. I don’t think a lot of “luck” was involved, I think that early on they knew what it took to make winning components. Were they the best? That is a matter of opinion but none of us can argue the success they achieved. Imitation is a pretty high compliment and Campagnolo had imitators galore, in Japan, Italy, and other countries. I think when SunTour came out with a line that did not imitate, but improved the design , then they saw success. Shimano came into the scene and took over, now - no more SunTour. All of these companies had really good innovations and very little luck.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-01-23, 09:49 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Old 08-02-23, 01:13 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
No, a small R&D group can innovate, happens all of the time, but it is mostly luck, as with all R&D groups. Maybe you can increase the odds by being bigger, but most of the time bigger means slow.
Sadly not really. Suntour was an amazing innovator for quite some time but eventually their small R&D staff could not compete with Shimano's very large R&D staff. One of the nails on their coffin was the lack of in-house design work; as the years went by they focused on shifting components subcontracting brakes and other gear to other manufacturers. For example my Superbe Pro brakes are marked Dia-Compe on the back. When indexing became the norm they had a really hard time getting a system that would work across the board while using what amounted to off-the-shelf components.

Their shifting was innovative as usual, they just could not design it end-to-end. Then vendors would take their less expensive components, hodge-podge it with other parts in order to assemble inexpensive bikes, and everybody complained how bad Suntour shifting was compared to Shimano.
Likes For abdon:
Old 08-02-23, 05:27 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
MKS RX-1 Keirin pedals.
Not them - cage plates don't match.
Old 08-02-23, 07:05 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
As someone who has scuffed the bejesus out of black anodized pedal cages, I do respect the removable/replacable cages.
Old 08-02-23, 08:28 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Campagnolo rose to where they got because of quality and innovation. I don’t think a lot of “luck” was involved, I think that early on they knew what it took to make winning components. Were they the best? That is a matter of opinion but none of us can argue the success they achieved. Imitation is a pretty high compliment and Campagnolo had imitators galore, in Japan, Italy, and other countries. I think when SunTour came out with a line that did not imitate, but improved the design , then they saw success. Shimano came into the scene and took over, now - no more SunTour. All of these companies had really good innovations and very little luck.
Campagnolo held the parallelogram patent until 1958, about the same time they came out with the group. The group is only a marketing innovation. And yes, it was lucky Tullio bought the patent before Simplex, or some other company. That, combined with sponsoring teams (not an innovation, done long before Tullio was born) allowed him to gain market share. I will fully agree the quality was the best, along with market share, you are the 600 pound gorilla with everyone just trying to chip away share.

He ran a great business. But like all companies, including Suntour, you innovate or die. Everything after the GS was only a slight derivative of GS, it is not innovation. Sure SR was great quality, weighted a couple grams lighter than GS, but so what? His marketing didn't change at all and did nothing to improve his manufacturing process for 25-30 years. Slant parallelogram was the next great innovation and Suntour sat on it doing nothing. Shimano then made it SIS, combined it with dual pivots and it was only then they had something other than price. Which was something Shimano did innovate too. They could put out the highest quality at a low price.

Campagnolo was able to soak a product innovation for 30 years, not shabby. Suntour lasted only a few years and Shimano is now the 600 pound gorilla for 30 years. In terms of components, that's about it. e shifting is only a derivative, as with disc brakes. Tubeless is not proprietary, so there is no one way or the highway. Chainless? meh.

So why does an idea become wildfire in the market? The parallelogram derailleur and dual pivot calipers were around for years before they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. You need a good business infrastructure and some dumbass luck. Build it and they will come is only a movie fantasy.
Old 08-02-23, 08:56 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

I think Tullio had a patent on the cam-operated quick release as well.

A look at Frank Berto's book "The Dancing Chain" will shed some light on why the Shimano and Suntour derailleurs eclipsed the Campagnolo offerings.

I do agree that it's innovate or perish. And it's pretty hard to compete against the billions worth of R&D resources available to a company like Shimano.

/markp
Old 08-02-23, 08:56 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Innovation at Campagnolo bitd meant winning more races. Not sure that modern innovations regarding drive trains and brakes means winning more than money.
Old 08-02-23, 09:04 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by Classtime
Innovation at Campagnolo bitd meant winning more races. Not sure that modern innovations regarding drive trains and brakes means winning more than money.
maybe innovating to stay ahead of the competition would be a different way to say it ?

Every year the Cycling Industrial Complex needs to have something new to sell to keep those consumer dollars flowing.

and sadly Campagnolo just doesn't have the R&D resources to keep up with Shimano.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-02-23, 09:21 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I don’t think it’s sad. The MBA approach to cycling innovation kinda screws thing up and the product life cycle has no place in my cycling world.
Old 08-02-23, 09:54 AM
abdon 

Originally Posted by iab
Campagnolo was able to soak a product innovation for 30 years, not shabby. Suntour lasted only a few years and Shimano is now the 600 pound gorilla for 30 years. In terms of components, that's about it. e shifting is only a derivative, as with disc brakes. Tubeless is not proprietary, so there is no one way or the highway. Chainless? meh.
Suntour managed to hold on for more than just a few years. They held the slanted parallelogram patent for 20 years, all while campy kept saying that it was not significant enough to matter to anybody and yet copied it the second the parent expired. Well after that their vgt was the standard first for touring derailleurs and once it was born for mountain bikes. To this day their clicky friction shifters are on par with anything modern being produced.

The world became too fast and complicated for a smaller company to exist. It was literally grow or die.
Old 08-02-23, 11:11 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
Suntour managed to hold on for more than just a few years. They held the slanted parallelogram patent for 20 years, all while campy kept saying that it was not significant enough to matter to anybody and yet copied it the second the parent expired. Well after that their vgt was the standard first for touring derailleurs and once it was born for mountain bikes. To this day their clicky friction shifters are on par with anything modern being produced.

The world became too fast and complicated for a smaller company to exist. It was literally grow or die.
if one looks back, Campagnolo was desperate to come up with the next big thing for rear derailleurs about 1980 onward by patent applications. Some ideas made it to market, but no winners.
they were slow actually to brand their own slant parallelogram mech.
Shimano obviously was tooled and engineered up to pounce when the Suntour patent expired.
the index question was not really asked about.
”sissy” shifting as it was nick named met a market need experienced cyclists did not ask.

if one looks back the Shimano dominance was decades in development.
Tullio should have been concerned in 1974, I think that was the first year a pro team rode Shimano if I recall correctly.

Campagnolo it appears had a gentleman’s agreement to leave Chains, rims, bars and stems to others, only eventually making a freewheel, a Campagnolo freehub instead, using open source ideas by that point would have been good.
much later did rims, tried pedals but burdened by a heavy, complicated design, SGR.

a lack of creativity and critical thinking.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-02-23, 12:11 PM
abdon 

I think the biggest flaw of campagnolo is the same flaw that affects a lot of the Italian high end market, arrogance. When they can't compete in the performance arena they fall back on artistic design and just assume that anybody not seeing this as better must be stupid. During the steamer era used in Atlantic crossings, they fell further and further behind in speed so they started building these slow floating palaces because obviously glamour was more important than travel time. Italian cars fell behind Germans, Americans, and eventually Japanese, so for a while they doubled down on making them prettier and prettier.

And let's not forget the contempt they have for anything that is not what they believe in. They got dragged kicking and screaming into long cage derailleurs because whether they liked it or not the market took a hard turn that way. The original rally was a turd that would break if you looked at it sideways. The second version would take at least three looks. They fixed the weak bit on the third while taking away chain capacity (the opposite of what everybody else was doing) and in the next interaction they went back to the original design but finally fixed the weakness.
Old 08-02-23, 12:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Seems Campy is doing pretty well with its Ekar line.
Old 08-02-23, 12:47 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 649 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Seems Campy is doing pretty well with its Ekar line.
I disagree only roadbike racing professional team uses them , the rest is on dura ace. Again no presence of Campy in the Hybrid, Downhill, Trail and MTB segments and the turnover is much lower than Shimano. Quality wise, Campy is not what it used to be and way more expensive than Shimano.
Old 08-02-23, 12:52 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Chuckk
I was thinkiing about bikes and component WorldTour representation last week, and found this:
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/p...rldtour-bikes/
ONE team (BMC) uses Campy
I went looking because I thought "Where's Bianchi?", and it turns out that they're back after not being included last year.
Times are a-changin'.
the team component provider contracts are in my observation- about money.
a number of teams have flipped back and forth between Shimano and SRAM.
the biggest departure for Campagnolo was Jumbo-Visma. That might have been pushed by a drivetrain mishap. Although those happened to other brands this TdF.
the other departure of note- Colnago bikes no longer with Campagnolo, but not run by Ernesto any more.

waiting for Microshift to enter the fray.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-02-23, 01:37 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Jumbo-Visma were never on Campagnolo.
Rabobank->Belkin->Blanco never were either, always Shimano.

Last year SRAM made them a crazy offer and they switched.
Old 08-02-23, 01:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Campagnolo reported record financials growth just a year ago. Have things change so dramatically? Link?
Old 08-02-23, 02:16 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Campagnolo reported record financials growth just a year ago. Have things change so dramatically? Link?
it is privately held, not like a public company where financials are audited.
hopefully going well. They have totally dropped complete product lines very quickly.
Potenza we hardly knew you.
veloce, centaur… bye bye.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-02-23, 02:25 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Mackers
Jumbo-Visma were never on Campagnolo.
Rabobank->Belkin->Blanco never were either, always Shimano.

Last year SRAM made them a crazy offer and they switched.
thanks. I did a quick reference and read Jumbo is gone after the 2023 season. So much for grand tour wins.
Likes For repechage:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.