Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Indievelo racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 06:42 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Indievelo racing

Anyone else tried the different racing events in this?

I tried a velodrome sprint race in this tonight and it was an absolute blast. Sprint every 4 laps for points. Total of 20km. There were about 75 people but I know loads were bots, and we got auto-penned into 25s. I think having never raced on there before I may have been put in a slightly slower group because I was 4th or higher in all the sprints and picked up the win. I deliberately went early at the end of lap 35 and managed to maintain a solo breakaway that I held to get 1st for lap 36 and lap 40.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-02-24, 07:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i've done a race or two. they were fun. tried the one you did and got my @55 handed to me. it was still fun though.
Old 03-10-24, 01:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
That sounds like fun. Maybe I should try it.
Old 03-10-24, 03:11 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Anyone else tried the different racing events in this?

I tried a velodrome sprint race in this tonight and it was an absolute blast. Sprint every 4 laps for points. Total of 20km. There were about 75 people but I know loads were bots, and we got auto-penned into 25s. I think having never raced on there before I may have been put in a slightly slower group because I was 4th or higher in all the sprints and picked up the win. I deliberately went early at the end of lap 35 and managed to maintain a solo breakaway that I held to get 1st for lap 36 and lap 40.
Have tried a bunch of different formats on there (like the sprint races at the velodrome - kierin races are a bear but fun - and the team points races the best). Due to surgery (and subsequent complications), I haven't been on there since the end of December (so I don't have experience with the new tactical positioning), but I've really enjoyed the races there. Graphics and variety of courses aren't as good as Zwift, but I like the race dynamics a lot. Been riding there since April/May of last year.

Old 03-10-24, 04:11 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Have tried a bunch of different formats on there (like the sprint races at the velodrome - kierin races are a bear but fun - and the team points races the best). Due to surgery (and subsequent complications), I haven't been on there since the end of December (so I don't have experience with the new tactical positioning), but I've really enjoyed the races there. Graphics and variety of courses aren't as good as Zwift, but I like the race dynamics a lot. Been riding there since April/May of last year.
I assume you need to set up / join a team before you can do the team points races, rather than teams being allocated on the fly for an event?
Old 03-10-24, 05:11 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by choddo
I assume you need to set up / join a team before you can do the team points races, rather than teams being allocated on the fly for an event?
If you're listed as being on a team, it'll put you on that team. If you're not listed on a team, it'll put you on one of the generic teams. If other members of your team are also in the same pen, it'll put them on your team. IF not (or if there aren't enough to make a full team) the rest of the team gets made out of bots.

Here's one I set up like half an hour before it started (enough time to make the event and then warm up - takes like 5 minutes to make your own race) with a 5 km neutral start before things went nuts:

Here's one that was organized by my team (I think I was the only one human in my pen though):

Here's one with a team race where I had a teammate in the same pen, but he was on a different sub-team so we each had our own teams competing against each other:

Likes For himespau:
Old 03-11-24, 10:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I wonder if this is why there have been leaked zwift rides on a velodrome.
Old 03-11-24, 10:42 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I wonder if this is why there have been leaked zwift rides on a velodrome.
Yeah, that was my thought as well when I saw those photos. Didn't get it until I tried them but velodrome races are fun but brutal.

Many of the formats, I'm really not good at, but they make me push myself to figure them out.

Likes For himespau:
Old 03-13-24, 03:46 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
If you're listed as being on a team, it'll put you on that team. If you're not listed on a team, it'll put you on one of the generic teams.
How do you find out about teams and/or join a team?

I've been dabbling a little bit with indieVelo for a while now, mostly pace bots and sometimes my TrainingPeaks workouts.
Old 03-13-24, 05:16 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
How do you find out about teams and/or join a team?

I've been dabbling a little bit with indieVelo for a while now, mostly pace bots and sometimes my TrainingPeaks workouts.
Are you on their discord channel? I think that's the easiest way to find a team.

Likes For himespau: