Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

650c Track wheelsets, any availability?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 08:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts

Due to an annoying chain of events I find myself in need of a new set of 650c track wheels, but with the exception of Dolan, I'm not finding a single source for this size wheelset. Worst case I'll go with the Dolan but I'd like to spend less than 325.00 for a basic set of wheels. Switching to 650b isn't really an option, there isn't room in the frame for taller wheels, nor is a better size bike as option as this is for a kid who isn't big enough to move onto the 47cm 700c bike that's waiting in the wings. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-24, 07:36 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
You might want to contact Wabi to see if they will sell you a 650c wheelset. They sell a 650c version of the Wabi Classic, but do not currently sell the wheels by themselves.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-16-24, 06:08 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
Why not pick up a set of hub and 650c hoops and build ypur own? Would probably be cheaper. 650c is such
a dead size as finding decent tires is pretty nonexistent. I built a road frame in my framebuilding course and the instructor convinced me to use 650c wheels. If I could go back in time I'd use 650b, 559 or just 700c. A 26er wheel isn't that far from a 650c wheel and Panaracer makes the Pasela and another model in a skinnier 26" size.
Likes For Henry III:
Old 03-16-24, 08:28 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You might want to contact Wabi to see if they will sell you a 650c wheelset. They sell a 650c version of the Wabi Classic, but do not currently sell the wheels by themselves.
Looks like with shipping they'd be slightly more than the Dolan and not as nice looking, great heads up though, thank you.

Originally Posted by Henry III
Why not pick up a set of hub and 650c hoops and build ypur own? Would probably be cheaper. 650c is such
a dead size as finding decent tires is pretty nonexistent. I built a road frame in my framebuilding course and the instructor convinced me to use 650c wheels. If I could go back in time I'd use 650b, 559 or just 700c. A 26er wheel isn't that far from a 650c wheel and Panaracer makes the Pasela and another model in a skinnier 26" size.
Looks like I'm going the build my own route, all the parts are on the way but will take some time. Unfortunately when the difference between the crank arm clipping the track surface at slow speeds and clearing it so the kid can get up to speed is only 5mm, dropping from a 571mm diameter to a 559mm diameter isn't the safe way to go and while I'd love to go 650b it won't clear the frame or fork. You don't realize just how close a 45* banking can create ground clearance issues but I had to change my youngest's bike from toe clips and straps to SPD because he couldn't clear the banking when trying to get on. Do wish there were better quality parts available in the size though.