Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flat or Hilly - Equal Effort

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 09:29 PM
Traveldave

Bikes: Trek 1100 (93)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a couple of rides that I frequent here in Atlanta. One is the Silver Comet Trail, which is a rails-to-trails conversion and is therefore pretty flat. The other is Stone Mountain, which has 5 or 7 mile laps and is somewhat hilly.

It seems to me that if I do 30 miles (out and back) on the trail or 30 miles worth of laps at Stone Mountain, I would have the same net vertical gain (zero) and thus my effort should be about the same. However, that's not the case. 30 miles on Silver Comet is both easier and faster than Stone Mountain.

I've got some thoughts on why this may be, but I figured I'd put this out there for some scientific discussion by the roadies.
Old 01-09-05, 09:31 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tail wind?

better paved roads?

Maybe it's physcological. You think that Silver Comet is easier and therefore it is for you.
Old 01-09-05, 10:00 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Simple math I believe.

Lets say you average 20 mph on the trail.

On the mountain loop, let's say you climb the hills at 10 mph. In order to average the same 20 mph overall as on the trail, you need to spend an equal amount of time at 30 mph as you do at 10 mph in order to make up the difference. Most people go down the hills at a much faster rate but they don't make up the deficit created in the climb simply because they don't spend as much time going downhill.

I hope that's clear - my junior high algebra teaching is turning in her grave.

55/Rad
Old 01-09-05, 10:56 PM
sm266

Bikes: Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Simple math I believe.

Lets say you average 20 mph on the trail.

On the mountain loop, let's say you climb the hills at 10 mph. In order to average the same 20 mph overall as on the trail, you need to spend an equal amount of time at 30 mph as you do at 10 mph in order to make up the difference. Most people go down the hills at a much faster rate but they don't make up the deficit created in the climb simply because they don't spend as much time going downhill.

I hope that's clear - my junior high algebra teaching is turning in her grave.

55/Rad
what he said.
Old 01-10-05, 12:23 PM
zensuit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Traveldave
I have a couple of rides that I frequent here in Atlanta. One is the Silver Comet Trail, which is a rails-to-trails conversion and is therefore pretty flat. The other is Stone Mountain, which has 5 or 7 mile laps and is somewhat hilly.

It seems to me that if I do 30 miles (out and back) on the trail or 30 miles worth of laps at Stone Mountain, I would have the same net vertical gain (zero) and thus my effort should be about the same. However, that's not the case. 30 miles on Silver Comet is both easier and faster than Stone Mountain.

I've got some thoughts on why this may be, but I figured I'd put this out there for some scientific discussion by the roadies.
Effort wouldn't be the same, either. If you do hill repeats, the effect on your system is pretty draining. To ride "equal" effort on a flatter trail would require taking yourself to the same heart rate you get to climbing...and that's usually pretty high. And it's unlikely that you would push yourself that hard unless you were time trialing competitively. You are required to exert yourself to get up a hill, since you can ease a little on the flats, you usually do...human nature.
Old 01-10-05, 02:37 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Given your logic, riding up, and down Mt. Everest (hey, I've got my studded tires on!) would be the same effort as riding on the flats for the same distance. Yes, the net vertical gain is zero, but you'd have done thousands of feet of climbing - that's the number that's important.
Old 01-10-05, 02:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Simple thought experiment. Do a 20 mile out-and-back route, uphill all the way out. If you average 10 mph on the climb and take an hour to do the first 10 miles, how fast do you have to go after the turnaround, in order to average 20 mph overall? (hint: it's not 30 mph.)
Old 01-10-05, 02:47 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Simple thought experiment. Do a 20 mile out-and-back route, uphill all the way out. If you average 10 mph on the climb and take an hour to do the first 10 miles, how fast do you have to go after the turnaround, in order to average 20 mph overall? (hint: it's not 30 mph.)
You would have to magically disappear with your bike from the top of the hill and reappear at the finish line in the same moment - just to average 20 mph on this ride.

55/Rad

Last edited by 55/Rad; 01-10-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 02:50 PM
brent_dube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think this is really about time or mph average. It's about energy used over a certain distance and time.

It seems to me that if I do 30 miles (out and back) on the trail or 30 miles worth of laps at Stone Mountain, I would have the same net vertical gain (zero) and thus my effort should be about the same.
Isn't that like saying doing a 100 mile flat century requires the same effort as a 100 mile century loop with 3000 meters of climbing? It doesn't work that way.

Originally Posted by bac
Given your logic, riding up, and down Mt. Everest (hey, I've got my studded tires on!) would be the same effort as riding on the flats for the same distance. Yes, the net vertical gain is zero, but you'd have done thousands of feet of climbing - that's the number that's important.
blah, you explained it for me
Old 01-10-05, 03:06 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave:

If you come off a long descent, and go right into a climb of the same height, your momentum will wear off pretty quickly. This is because of air resistance. If it wasn't for air resistance, you could hit ridiculous speeds of hundreds of mph given long enough descents. This speed would act as stored energy, and be spent moving you up the following climb. But since air resisantance increases proportional to the square of your speed, there is a limit to the speed you can reach on the descent. Even though it seems you're going fast, the air is sapping the energy that would push you up the next climb. In fact, if you were riding in a vacuum somehow, I think your theory of equal effort might be correct.
Old 01-10-05, 03:25 PM
downhill!
deathstar activist

Bikes: Soulcraft Royale, Santa Cruz Blur, Trek Singletrack, Fuji Shangri-la

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To use the law of Conservation of Energy you would have to not pedal at all on the decent. This will get you close to using the same amount of energy on a flat ride vs. hill ride. However, by expending all of your energy on the climbs you do all of the work in less time, meaning you expend more power. This makes you more tired. In addition to that, wind resistance increases exponentially with speed, so the downhill portion of the ride will be much less efficient than the flats or uphill. This will cause you to have to pedal some on the descent to keep your speed up.
Old 01-10-05, 05:57 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are confusing NET work of the verticle component, which is 0 since you are starting and finishing at the same point, with ENERGY EXPENDED.

You have to push the bike up, gravity will bring it down. So when cycling, you add all of ups together, for the work the YOU (the prime mover) is performing.
Old 01-10-05, 07:52 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downhill!
To use the law of Conservation of Energy you would have to not pedal at all on the decent. This will get you close to using the same amount of energy on a flat ride vs. hill ride. However, by expending all of your energy on the climbs you do all of the work in less time, meaning you expend more power. This makes you more tired. In addition to that, wind resistance increases exponentially with speed, so the downhill portion of the ride will be much less efficient than the flats or uphill. This will cause you to have to pedal some on the descent to keep your speed up.
That wouldn't work. Even if the flats =0 energy expense and going up hill are a - energy expense you would have to get a + energy going downhill. Thats impossible.