Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

straight bar vs drop bar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

straight bar vs drop bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 10:42 AM
rustang351

Bikes: GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
straight bar vs drop bar

Hello,
I’m a causal rider and pedal sitting up 95% of the time, but like going fast.
Can today’s integrated brake/shifter levers on road bikes be easily operated with your hands ‘on top of the hoods’. i.e. from a more upright riding position.

Trying to decide if I need a straight bar or a drop bar bike.
Old 05-12-13, 10:50 AM
Nerull

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, modern levers are designed with the hoods as the primary riding position, though they are also operable from the drops.
Old 05-12-13, 10:52 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sitting up is not compatible with "going fast." Most of the speed from a road bike comes from the position. If you cannot adapt to the position, you're better off sticking with a hybrid.
Old 05-12-13, 10:58 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Bah, get the drop bars. You can ride on the hoods 95% of the time and use the drops when you really want to get busy. You can also use the flats, move your hands to the curve on the tops, use the ends of the drops... lots of positions to let you mix it up. With a hybrid you pretty much have one position, which will definitely get uncomfortable at some point in a longer ride.
Old 05-12-13, 11:01 AM
rustang351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
Yes, modern levers are designed with the hoods as the primary riding position, though they are also operable from the drops.
Ah!? perfect, thanks

Originally Posted by halfspeed
Sitting up is not compatible with "going fast." Most of the speed from a road bike comes from the position. If you cannot adapt to the position, you're better off sticking with a hybrid.
my hybird has a 50T crank set and I find myself almost free-wheeling sometimes, if that makes any sense. I'd like more resistance/top-end, but I understand what you are saying; < wind resistance = > speed.
Old 05-12-13, 11:18 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rustang351
Ah!? perfect, thanks

my hybird has a 50T crank set and I find myself almost free-wheeling sometimes, if that makes any sense. I'd like more resistance/top-end, but I understand what you are saying; < wind resistance = > speed.
Unless you have some sort of physical limitation, you may find that drops work better for you than you think. But if you find the only way you can use drops is to set them up for the same position you have on your hybrid, you won't go any faster. You will, however, gain some additional hand positions which are useful for fighting headwinds and stretching out on a long ride. If these aren't issues for you, you can probably just get taller gearing for your hybrid and save yourself a lot of money.
Old 05-12-13, 11:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
The problem with most hybrids is that they're designed as comfort bikes, not speed machines. There are exceptions, though, which feature road bike like geometry and similar equipment spec, but most importantly, put the rider in a more aggressive, more aero position, thanks to longer top tubes and saddle-to-bar drop.

Simply adding a pair of bar ends adds a lot of versatility to flat bars, and if you're positioned right, that combo is just as aero as a drop bar, with probably the potential to be even more so. Take a look at the aero-obsessed tri bike scene, and you'll see what I mean.
Old 05-12-13, 12:05 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Bah, get the drop bars. You can ride on the hoods 95% of the time and use the drops when you really want to get busy. You can also use the flats, move your hands to the curve on the tops, use the ends of the drops... lots of positions to let you mix it up. With a hybrid you pretty much have one position, which will definitely get uncomfortable at some point in a longer ride.
+1

This is quite excellent advice!

Get a road bike with cross lever brakes and have the best of both worlds, whenever you want! For the casual neighborhood jaunt, just ride the hoods....

For the pitbull dog escape, get to the drops, and fast!

Last edited by Cfiber; 05-13-13 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-12-13, 12:16 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
....Can today’s integrated brake/shifter levers on road bikes be easily operated with your hands ‘on top of the hoods’. i.e. from a more upright riding position....
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jkf__aUQpE
Old 05-12-13, 12:37 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Interceptor,

Dude, you are the coolest eva!

I just absolutely love your videos! Keep 'em comin'...
Old 05-12-13, 12:49 PM
sedrules

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my drop bar setup with bar ends. I have lots of hands potions for longer rides and end up riding 99% of the time on the hoods, flats, or in-between.
Old 05-12-13, 01:28 PM
rustang351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that video man! That was fun (cool songs too)
What camera did you use? I’ve heard the new Hero3s are bugged? We should do a “Ride thru your City” thread?!

I haven’t seen brake cross levers since my 80s Ross 12speed. Do they come on any current bikes now?

I found this video informative and he’s got me stoked about the Motobecane Grand Record at bikesdirect being a great value. Although it’s a little more than I wanted to spend, but it’s a great looking bike.

Does anyone know if the bikesdirect stuff comes with the handle bars on? I’ve had trouble adjusting my front derailleur in the past..

Also, do you see any riders using snow/skate helmets for better coverage, or is everyone pretty much in ‘bike helmets’?
Old 05-12-13, 01:49 PM
tcdwrench

Bikes: 1975 Italvega Super Speciale,late 80's Paganini Mistrall,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first returned to riding road bikes (after retirement), I thought drop bars were out due to my bad back, neck & screwed up hands. I'm now 69 years young & that was 3 years ago. Found out the drops offer lots of places for your hands, different body positions and yes, more speed. If this "old man" can ride 35 miles+ with drops, Stella Italia Kit Carbon Flow saddle AND a bad neck, back and hands, you will like drops better! Just don't forget to "fit" the bike properly. Start with looking on line for info on how to. You can also pay someone to "fit" you. Have fun, be careful, watch out for blind people driving bike wreckers.
Old 05-12-13, 01:56 PM
robble

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool video interceptor. I'll never feel right complaining about the traffic or road conditions here where I live again. That would have been a pretty stressful ride for me. The music gave a sense of surreality to it lol.
Old 05-12-13, 02:30 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by sedrules
I like my drop bar setup with bar ends.
huh?
Old 05-12-13, 11:41 PM
Rustang351c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like I’ll need a set of interrupter brake levelers if I intend on riding mostly upright.

'levers'

I only see one cable leading to the integrated brake/shifter levers on my intended bike, so I am a little confused. Are there any tricks to separating the cables on a standard bike and installing a set of interrupter levers on the bike?
Old 05-13-13, 05:50 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
The other cable is hiding, either under the bar wrap, or routed inside the bar itself. To sneak a look, peel back that rubber brake hood cover, and look for a cable end inside.
Old 05-13-13, 06:44 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Rustang351c
It looks like I’ll need a set of interrupter brake levelers if I intend on riding mostly upright.
Why's that?
Old 05-13-13, 06:52 AM
1987cp
Albatross bars are cool!!

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale ST; 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix; mystery Nashbar tandem MTB; 1991 Paramount Series 20 PDG (in bits); 1984 Raleigh Record (in smaller bits, needs dropout repair); 1985 Raleigh Alyeska (wrecked, needs downtube repair)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
What, no love for moustache or Albatross bars?

Drops don't work for my riding, and straights make me hurt, yet nearly all new bikes come with either drops or straights. I started liking my bike lots better when I tried a cheap moustache knockoff, but Albatrosses seem much handier in town.

https://www.rivbike.com/Nitto-Handlebars-s/107.htm
Old 05-13-13, 07:09 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rustang351c

'levers'

I only see one cable leading to the integrated brake/shifter levers on my intended bike, so I am a little confused. Are there any tricks to separating the cables on a standard bike and installing a set of interrupter levers on the bike?
You can add the interrupter brakes to any drop bar, integrated shifter bike. You just cut the housing and install the interrupter brake inline and rethread the cable through. I would try it without the interrupter levers first. If you are riding with your hands on the hoods, you should be able to work the brakes just fine. That's the primary position they are designed for.
Old 05-13-13, 07:15 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Can today’s integrated brake/shifter levers on road bikes be easily operated with your hands ‘on top of the hoods’. i.e. from a more upright riding position.
Do you mean you want to ride on the "tops", which is the flat section where interrupter levers are placed, or the "hoods", which are the brake lever rubber covers?

If your intention is to be on the tops 95% of the time, then get a flat bar. You can get bar ends for alternate hand positions for the other 5% of the time. It will be wider, more comfortable, and easier access to all the controls. If you are comfortable on the hoods 95% of the time, then get drop bars.

But in general, asking the road forum whether you should get flat bars is like asking a rabbinical convention if you should have ham for passover.
Old 05-13-13, 07:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by RollCNY
Do you mean you want to ride on the "tops", which is the flat section where interrupter levers are placed, or the "hoods", which are the brake lever rubber covers?

If your intention is to be on the tops 95% of the time, then get a flat bar. You can get bar ends for alternate hand positions for the other 5% of the time. It will be wider, more comfortable, and easier access to all the controls. If you are comfortable on the hoods 95% of the time, then get drop bars.

But in general, asking the road forum whether you should get flat bars is like asking a rabbinical convention if you should have ham for passover.
Old 05-15-13, 04:07 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
thanks for that video man! That was fun (cool songs too)
what camera did you use? I’ve heard the new hero3s are bugged? We should do a “ride thru your city” thread?!

samsung hz30w. I bought a gopro hd 960 about 2 years ago. Some of my clips came out with a pink shade, i returned it.
Now i read that a fellow bf poster had purchased the latest gopro and was having the same pink problem.

i haven’t seen brake cross levers since my 80s ross 12speed. Do they come on any current bikes now?

yes. Most cyclocross bikes and some entry level roadbikes. Hey, the 1st bike that i got was a ross 12 spd, i was 17/18 and
saved for it thru my part time job.

i found this video informative and he’s got me stoked about the motobecane grand record at bikesdirect being a great value. Although it’s a little more than i wanted to spend, but it’s a great looking bike.

Does anyone know if the bikesdirect stuff comes with the handle bars on? I’ve had trouble adjusting my front derailleur in the past..

most bikes that are shipped will have the handle bar off of the frame.

also, do you see any riders using snow/skate helmets for better coverage, or is everyone pretty much in ‘bike helmets’?

i think riders who wear non bike specific helmets just don't like the look of bike helmets.
:d
Old 05-16-13, 04:53 AM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY

If your intention is to be on the tops 95% of the time, then get a flat bar. You can get bar ends for alternate hand positions for the other 5% of the time. It will be wider, more comfortable, and easier access to all the controls. If you are comfortable on the hoods only 5% of the time, then get drop bars.

fify