Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anyone drinking Protein shakes/drinks?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Anyone drinking Protein shakes/drinks?

Old 11-24-19, 02:24 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Speaking of protein, I ran out so I had to go out and get more. I got a new brand (Six Star) but only because it was on sale at 1/3 off so I got two buckets. The taste is OK, but ts a bit sweeter than I'd prefer.

I also bought some Blue Diamond roasted almond that taste like they were created in a laboratory. A terrible chemical taste that lingered for over an hour. What should I do with them? 🤔
Old 11-24-19, 04:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Speaking of protein, I ran out so I had to go out and get more. I got a new brand (Six Star) but only because it was on sale at 1/3 off so I got two buckets. The taste is OK, but ts a bit sweeter than I'd prefer.
Be aware that SIX STAR brand uses sucralose as a sweetener. Sucralose is very bad for your gut bacteria and health. Healthy gut microbiota plays a key role in promoting overall health, don't mess it up with artificial sweeteners...SIX STAR also sells unflavoured and unsweetened whey powder, it's a much better choice.

I also bought some Blue Diamond roasted almond that taste like they were created in a laboratory. A terrible chemical taste that lingered for over an hour. What should I do with them? 🤔
Maybe they're gone rancid, hence the chemical taste. If in doubt throw it out.
Old 11-24-19, 04:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Even with whey protein and resistance training, I just barely keep my legs from shrinking.
Size doesn't matter. As long as we remain functional, mobile and maintain the ability to do what we need to do, that's all that matters. Muscles don't need to be huge in order to be functional.
Old 11-24-19, 09:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Size doesn't matter. As long as we remain functional, mobile and maintain the ability to do what we need to do, that's all that matters. Muscles don't need to be huge in order to be functional.
I guess everyone has their own definition of "functionality." Yeah, I can stand up off the toilet just fine. According to the docs, that means I'm functional. But that's not all that matters to me or one would hope, to most of the folks who visit and post here.
Old 11-24-19, 11:15 PM
KraneXL

Mentality confirmed. I suspected as much considering your staunch anti-supplement position. People that consume protein supplements are generally very active, and have the opposite opinion.

One more thing, SIZE DOES MATTER. Especially considering fitness. Muscle loss is a natural occurrence of aging, and nobody gets stronger when their muscles atrophy. This happened to me after my accident and the results were devastating.

I guess everyone has their own definition of "functionality." Yeah, I can stand up off the toilet just fine. According to the docs, that means I'm functional. But that's not all that matters to me or one would hope, to most of the folks who visit and post here.
I get a lot of this mentality from my doctors, who generally have no clue, and why I consider them quacks. They base their diagnosis and treatment on the typical sedentary individual which makes no sense to me considering I'm just the opposite. Its the quality of life that matters most to me. Which is anything but sedentary.

BTW, it might interest some to know that I have tried the non supplement route. Considering humans have lived for thousands of years without them I figured how important can it be?

On the other hand, people have also existed without medicines and modern medical care. But how many of us would refuse that too based on this knowledge? Not many, I think.
Old 11-25-19, 04:35 AM
wolfchild
Banned

When I talk about functionality I meant a lot more than just standing up off the toilet or getting up from the chair.
Old 11-25-19, 05:10 AM
wolfchild
Banned

One more thing, SIZE DOES MATTER. Especially considering fitness. Muscle loss is a natural occurrence of aging, and nobody gets stronger when their muscles atrophy. This happened to me after my accident and the results were devastating.

Strength and sports performance has more to do with neural efficiency than the actual muscle size and then there is also mobility which is very important as we age...We have a lot of big strong hulks around who can't bend over and tie their shoelaces or run up the stairs or do a 50 mile ride without almost killing themselves...I am naturally lean and skinny and my muscles will never be huge, no matter how many protein shakes I drink or how hard I lift. My lifestyle also isn't conductive to building and maintaining huge amount of muscle. In order for me to become huge I would basically have to quit everything I enjoy, make drastic changes to my lifestyle and focus only and only on getting big. ' No thanks'... I don't need 20 inch arms or 35 inch thighs to be able to do the things I enjoy or perform activities which I enjoy....I did an experiment few years ago with bulking up. I went from 155 pounds all the way to 202 pounds in one year from eating massive amounts of food and doing a lot of compound lifts.

When my experiment was over I was a lot bigger stronger but I also felt like crap and I was actually slower, less mobile, less athletic, more lethargic, had less energy and riding a bike for any length of distance became a huge chore.

Never again...I learned my lesson, and I am down to around 160 pounds right now and I feel and perform better then at any other time in my life.
Old 11-25-19, 08:55 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
are we talking about using protein to get huge and gain weight?? Not the intent of the thread. Was asking mostly as a recovery drink
Old 11-25-19, 10:07 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

When I talk about functionality I meant a lot more than just standing up off the toilet or getting up from the chair.
As college freshman probably still say, "we can't discuss this unless you define your terms."
Old 11-25-19, 10:08 AM
KraneXL

When I worked on the graveyard shift I often didn't have a scheduled break period. One of the best things about a protein supplement is that even when its not convenient to eat, you can always drink. All you need is a water/shaker bottle and a minute of shaking.

Whether you're an endurance athlete, powerlifter, bodybuilder, or just someone who works long arduous hours in a manual labor environment. It makes no difference -- Everybody needs protein to function.

I have the same post workout recovery drink at the end of my cycling tour or the after the gym. The function and utilization of the nutrients works the exact same way. The only difference among these activities would be the amount and/or frequency of consumption.
Old 11-25-19, 10:37 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
are we talking about using protein to get huge and gain weight?? Not the intent of the thread. Was asking mostly as a recovery drink
I use it as a recovery drink and to generally retain muscle mass while cycle training. For many years I've maintained 21" thighs, about the size of Arnold's arms. I combine weight and cycle training, which has worked well for me, however recently in spite of gradually increasing my leg weights while at the same time increasing my cycle training, my thighs are down to ~20". That doesn't seem to have cut into my cycling power or endurance, but won't help my bump skiing in the (hopefully) coming ski season. Not complaining, no point in that, just noting a possible aging effect. I average about 60g of whey protein/day and weigh 148.
Old 11-25-19, 11:59 AM
KraneXL

Be aware that SIX STAR brand uses sucralose as a sweetener. Sucralose is very bad for your gut bacteria and health. Healthy gut microbiota plays a key role in promoting overall health, don't mess it up with artificial sweeteners...SIX STAR also sells unflavoured and unsweetened whey powder, it's a much better choice.
So I've heard. But for me money IS an object, so I often have to find the balance between quality and cost. I wish my local supermarket sold the unsweetened whey without all the preservatives, but I suspect few customers would buy it.

Ideally, I'd choose grass fed unsweetened/unflavored whey isolate. But at at almost 2.5X the price, the cost would be prohibitive.
Maybe they're gone rancid, hence the chemical taste. If in doubt throw it out.
Good thing I kept the receipt.

FYI

Sometimes I suspect some cyclist don't recognize how important strength training is, not only to the sport of cycling, but for general overall fitness. Its not always about getting big bulging muscles. Maybe this will help.

Old 11-25-19, 01:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

So I've heard. But for me money IS an object, so I often have to find the balance between quality and cost. I wish my local supermarket sold the unsweetened whey without all the preservatives, but I suspect few customers would buy it.

Ideally, I'd choose grass fed unsweetened/unflavored whey isolate. But at at almost 2.5X the price, the cost would be prohibitive.Good thing I kept the receipt.

FYI

Sometimes I suspect some cyclist don't recognize how important strength training is, not only to the sport of cycling, but for general overall fitness. Its not always about getting big bulging muscles. Maybe this will help.

<snip>
Isolate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2X4KM2 $14/lb. Tastes good in water. More likely to use it if it tastes good.

I thought he video was lame. I think there's good advice from CTS here: https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...e-athlete.html
Old 11-25-19, 06:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Mentality confirmed. I suspected as much considering your staunch anti-supplement position. People that consume protein supplements are generally very active, and have the opposite opinion.

One more thing, SIZE DOES MATTER.
I don't think anybody in here is against supplements. I think people are against the idea that you need them to be healthy, or that a gram of protein in a powder is any different than a gram in milk or food. (I take a creatine supplement because I'm a vegetarian and don't get it in my diet, so I can't be anti-supplement.)

PS - That's what she said.
Old 11-26-19, 02:52 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't think anybody in here is against supplements. I think people are against the idea that you need them to be healthy, or that a gram of protein in a powder is any different than a gram in milk or food. (I take a creatine supplement because I'm a vegetarian and don't get it in my diet, so I can't be anti-supplement.)
Based on the tone of the feedback, I'm pretty sure that is not the case. One again, I stated "maximize" fitness and health -- as it applies to athletic individuals
PS - That's what she said.
🤨
Old 11-26-19, 11:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
You stated you want to "maximize" fitness but you also said you won't eat a good diet, and both of these things can't be true. Anyway, you don't need supplements to "maximize" health either. Humans evolved to need things that were available to our ancestors mostly through food, that's why you need protein but not plutonium. There's nothing wrong with taking supplements but you shouldn't think they have magical powers. That's the reason for the tone of the feedback you're getting.
Old 11-27-19, 07:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the flavor of protein powders, other than vegan stuff which usually has the texture of dirt and tastes like it too. The only good vegan powder I've tried was OWYN brand, which I got very cheaply from Walgreens on discount awhile back. But I didn't like it well enough to pay full price.

I add so many supplements to my protein/energy drinks that taste nasty, I need the stronger flavor whey powders to offset the bitterness. L-arginine AAKG, turkest and kratom powders are all pretty bitter and nasty, so I prefer the flavored whey powders from Muscle Milk, Six Star and others to offset the nasty tasting stuff.

I'm not sure why there's so much debate over this stuff. Those of us who feel like we benefit from it are gonna keep using it. I already know I'm mostly making expensive urine. Don't care. It works for me and shows in the data from my workouts.

If I could do it more cost effectively without the voodoo potions I would. But I've tried many variations and approaches to the same goals -- getting as fit and as lean as possible (for amateur boxing in my youth, cycling now, same approaches to diet and conditioning). If a regular food diet alone was effective, I'd do that. And it is fine for moderate fitness.

But there's always a plateau or obstacle for every aspiring athlete at any level. That's why we're always seeking that edge in training, gear, diet and supplements. There are wind tunnel tests to measure the actual effects of aero bikes, kit and positioning. With diet and supplements, even the experts don't agree. So naturally there's a lot of speculation and anecdotes from users.

For example, over the past couple of years there have been articles, including on the PubMed site, about ecdysterone. Some researchers aren't sure whether it actually offers any measurable benefits to humans. But sports organizations are concerned enough to debate whether it should be banned, even without medical evidence. Sure, supposedly you can get all you need from eating spinach, shellfish (the actual shells, not just the meat) or some insects/bugs (for the exoskeleton). If you can eat a dozen cans of spinach a day. But it's easier to get the concentrate in powders or pills. The problem is finding a reliable source.
Old 12-07-19, 02:40 PM
KraneXL

It took some time but I finally purchased the good stuff. Just the protein without any of the additives and preservatives. It is super expensive (so not something that I will be getting regularly), but I at least wanted to try it so I could honestly judge whether its worth it.

I was torn between brands but chose Nutricost simply because I already have some of their other products (creatine, citrulline, yohimbine, etc.) and have been completely satisfied with their quality. The brand you linked also has high ratings -- and comes with a money back guarantee -- so maybe I'll probably try that one next month.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how well it mixes, and what the unflavored tastes like. I keep lots of fruit around, but if there's a bad after-taste that comes through, I can always buy some coco powder to mask it. I'm not too keen about mixing it in with my regular meals the way some people do. But maybe with the unflavored, I can investigate some new baking ideas? Stay tuned.
Isolate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2X4KM2 $14/lb. Tastes good in water. More likely to use it if it tastes good.
Taste is most important, but also its mixability. I have a blender, but if I'm out (typically when protein drinks come in handy), it has to be mixable by shaker bottle.
Old 12-07-19, 04:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
At this point my entire body has been replaced with whey protein many times over.
Old 12-08-19, 05:59 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
At this point my entire body has been replaced with whey protein many times over.
If that were true you'd be the prefect specimen of humankind.Meanwhile, I tried the whey and its basically neutral gray.

What does it taste like? There is a tiny hint of powdered milk aroma, but certainly nothing that would linger or obstruct whatever flavor you want to add to it. I added two bananas and a 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.

It mixes quickly and evenly in a shaker bottle, with no thick grain or chalk-like flavor or texture. Once mixed, its similar to fat free milk. Although not the least bit sweet. OK, a trace bit sweet. But that's only because I was concentrating.
Old 12-08-19, 06:41 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
If that were true you'd be the prefect specimen of humankind.
You’re saying I’m not?
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-09-19, 12:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Check the Bulk Supplements catalog too. They also have an Amazon storefront -- same prices, easier purchasing if you already have an Amazon account. Good prices, good customer reviews. They have whey isolates and flavored whey powder. But usually I buy whatever's on sale at Walgreen's or Kroger. Whey protein is common, cheap and generally the same stuff from every maker with the main differences being additives for better blending, flavor and texture. And, yup, plain unflavored whey smells and tastes like powdered milk.

I've purchased several things from Bulk Supplements, all seem to be good. Some is stuff hard to find elsewhere, such as turkest plant extract, supposedly a good source for ecdysterone. Basically just powdered plant matter that's supposedly higher in concentration than most common greens such as spinach. It's a little bitter. And powdered AAKG L-arginine, just to see if there's any difference between the l-arginine capsules I was taking. Tastes kinda like MSG, so it's tricky to mask the flavors of some powdered supplements.
Old 12-16-19, 08:29 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
My general rules of thumb:

15-30 miles: Chocolate Milk
30-50 mile rides: One scoop protein powder with 8 oz milk + 4oz. chocolate milk
50 miles-plus: 2 scoops protein powder with 16oz. milk.

I generally use whey, by have been mixing it up with casein, for slower-release results.

Of course, there is more replacement and during-exertion nutrition happening, especially in the 30+ range. Any rides over 35 miles require - for me, at least - eating (and obviously, hydrating) during the ride.