Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Spin Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 09:21 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin Class

Yes I am signing up for Spin Class at my gym. I made some inquiries for this is completely a new area for me whcih I was informed to do it properly I need SPD clips (don't use clips for prefer spiked flat pedals). I heard of a few popular brands but what is the preferred by people on here? Velcro or lace? Is there different type/brands of SPD clips to consider?
Old 08-28-18, 09:34 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The bikes usually have dual sided pedals w/ toe clips, so you don't need cycling shoes to get started.

I use (a previous version of) these- walkable soles without mountain style lugs.

https://www.giro.com/us_en/products/...eflective.html

Any 2 bolt (SPD) type shoe with a recessed cleat is fine- not good to scrape around on gym floors with exposed metal cleat.

Cheap shoes can be stiff & uncomfortable so there's that.
Old 08-28-18, 09:38 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
$80 spuds should do the trick.

Old 08-28-18, 09:57 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
The bikes usually have dual sided pedals w/ toe clips, so you don't need cycling shoes to get started.

I use (a previous version of) these- walkable soles without mountain style lugs.

https://www.giro.com/us_en/products/...eflective.html

Any 2 bolt (SPD) type shoe with a recessed cleat is fine- not good to scrape around on gym floors with exposed metal cleat.

Cheap shoes can be stiff & uncomfortable so there's that.
They are the ones that told me it's not toe, it's SPD. I had to Google it to see what they were talking about.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
$80 spuds should do the trick.
Thanks. Will see if I can get that on Zappos.
Old 08-28-18, 10:13 AM
woodcraft

Not sure who 'they' refers to.

This is the common pedal style for spin bikes.

https://www.fitnessequipmentestore.c...iABEgKM-fD_BwE

I would just go do the class w/ regular shoes & take it from there. See what others are wearing.

Cycling shoes are a good idea IMO, but not essential.
Old 08-28-18, 10:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I doubt they only have pedals accommodating cycling shoes because not a lot of people are going to try out a class with an $80-$200 price tag (for the shoes) only to find they don't like it.

Shoe fit is really important---and from my experience more important in a spin class because (at least for me) I was riding high to higher intensity the whole time, so hot spots under and on top of the foot which wouldn't develop in road cycling showed up in the spin class. As twice, or go look at the bikes.

Alternately, you could bring your own pedals. Pedals swap out as a rule with a 9/16 or 15 -mm flat wrench or with (I think) an 8-mm allen key from the back.

I really enjoyed spin class---would still do it if my schedule allowed.
Old 08-28-18, 02:44 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Go to the gym and look at the pedals to be absolutely sure. Most likely you'll find spd/flat w/cage. I've been spinning for +10 years and the classes are half sneakers, half spd shoes. Wear what you want.
Old 08-28-18, 07:39 PM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t get why everyone is doubting me. I am a member at Edge Fitness whom supplies Spin Classes with the membership and I talked to one of the people there and they are using SPD’s.

Change pedals? Seriously? No thanks.

Side note I found a YT video of a woman showing how to install SPD’s on a pair of Keen Sandals where are my go to shoes for the summer and at times the Adidas.

That is cool and going to see if I can get that.

Last edited by IvyGodivy; 08-28-18 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 07:49 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
I don’t get why everyone is doubting me. I am a member at Edge Fitness whom supplies Spin Classes with the membership and I talked to one of the people there and they are using SPD’s.

Change pedals? Seriously? No thanks.

Side note I found a YT video of a woman showing how to install SPD’s on a pair of Keen Sandals where are my go to shoes for the summer and at times the Adidas.

That is cool and going to see if I can get that.
Nobody is doubting they use SPDs. But every spin bike I have ever been on has double sided pedals. One side is for bike shoes with SPD cleats. The other is a toe clip and strap that you can wear any kid of shoe with.

Old 08-28-18, 08:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Nobody is doubting they use SPDs. But every spin bike I have ever been on has double sided pedals. One side is for bike shoes with SPD cleats. The other is a toe clip and strap that you can wear any kid of shoe with.

Yes, this.
Old 08-28-18, 08:55 PM
AbsoluteMike

Bikes: Fuji absolute 1.9

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've thought about joining a cycling class at my gym, maybe winter I'll give it a go
Old 08-28-18, 09:12 PM
coupster

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
The local YMCA has a mish-mash of manufacturers and models of spin bikes and they all have dual sided pedals. But it is possible that your gym has removed the clips and turned the functional 2 sided pedals into pedals with only 1 really usable side - SPD. But before you spend any $ on anything or even sign up for a class, I'd recommend watching a class. There is only one spin instructor at the Y that treats the spin bike like a bicycle. His workouts are killer as they mimic the motions and demands of a real world bike rider - sprints, intervals, slog climbs, etc even single pedal drills.. The other instructors treat the spin bike as just another piece of aerobic equipment. They have the students bounce up and down on the bike, carry hand weights and do upper body weight moves while pedaling and other absurdities that no cyclist would ever think of doing on a bike. Great aerobic workout but not what I'm looking for in a spin class. I take a spin class to improve my outdoor performance not just exercise my cardio systems. You have to make sure your goals are in line with the instructor's, otherwise you won't get what you want out of a class.
Old 08-29-18, 12:31 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
... They have the students bounce up and down on the bike, carry hand weights and do upper body weight moves while pedaling and other absurdities that no cyclist would ever think of doing on a bike.
I'd probably have a very difficult time keeping my yap shut around an instructor like that.
Old 08-29-18, 12:52 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by coupster
The local YMCA has a mish-mash of manufacturers and models of spin bikes and they all have dual sided pedals. But it is possible that your gym has removed the clips and turned the functional 2 sided pedals into pedals with only 1 really usable side - SPD. But before you spend any $ on anything or even sign up for a class, I'd recommend watching a class. There is only one spin instructor at the Y that treats the spin bike like a bicycle. His workouts are killer as they mimic the motions and demands of a real world bike rider - sprints, intervals, slog climbs, etc even single pedal drills.. The other instructors treat the spin bike as just another piece of aerobic equipment. They have the students bounce up and down on the bike, carry hand weights and do upper body weight moves while pedaling and other absurdities that no cyclist would ever think of doing on a bike. Great aerobic workout but not what I'm looking for in a spin class. I take a spin class to improve my outdoor performance not just exercise my cardio systems. You have to make sure your goals are in line with the instructor's, otherwise you won't get what you want out of a class.

Good point. I tried out a class that involved some upper body pumping, clapping, & even holding hands w/ folks on either side of you.

The one I go to is close enough to cycling oriented to work.
Old 08-29-18, 06:18 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any issue with the up and down and other wacky things; keeps it interesting. The pedaling alone will have carry over to outside biking or biking in general.

As for try it before spend the money I hear ya but on the flip-side and I know I said I would never do this (I have to stop saying I will never do this) is that I now want clip pedals. I have the proper tool to swap them so on one day want to go flat pedals and another clip I can do so in about 1 minute; on my bike that is.

On a side note I know how I can get around the ladies so need to keep myself in check. I still remember before the 2k (late 90's) the body thong and training at a kickboxing school. Shorts tend to slide down. On top of it the studio was down the street from a strip club where the employees there tend to train at our gym.

Yeah this is going to get interesting.

Last edited by IvyGodivy; 08-29-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 06:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I know spiked flats is a legit mtb/downhill thing. I always think though the first time there is an incident where those meet the shins, some spd's would start looking reallllly good.

Ask me how I know....

Also, could always take a pedal wrench with you and your pedals. We have Cycleops 400 pro's at our work gym with a combo of SPD and toe strap. Guys still swap them out for their SPD SL's or Looks then swap back when done.

FWIW, try the GCN show youtube workout videos. They have both spin class and mountain climbing videos.
Old 08-29-18, 07:50 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I know spiked flats is a legit mtb/downhill thing. I always think though the first time there is an incident where those meet the shins, some spd's would start looking reallllly good.

Ask me how I know....

Also, could always take a pedal wrench with you and your pedals. We have Cycleops 400 pro's at our work gym with a combo of SPD and toe strap. Guys still swap them out for their SPD SL's or Looks then swap back when done.

FWIW, try the GCN show youtube workout videos. They have both spin class and mountain climbing videos.
What I love about the spike pedals is it keeps my feet from slipping and I can wear any shoes I want. My primary go to shoes are: Keen Sandals (one of the Newport brands), and Adidas. I love the Keens for I am known to go on trails that lead to water and being able to walk right in is a plus.

But I also see the clips benefit. Anyway I am in the market and watched so many GCN videos I think I am starting to talk like them.
Old 08-29-18, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A couple years ago, for a local spin class, a customer bought road shoes,
and we fitted a SPD Cleat flanked by laterally stabilizing pontoons .

Made for using those cleats on road shoes ..
after the session, you take off those shoes ..
and put on shoes you prefer for your daily lifestyle..

If you want to bring your own pedals and a pedal wrench
to replace the ones on the class' stationary bikes, that's another choice..

Old 08-29-18, 10:50 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
***Update***
Bought Shimano pedals: flat one-side and clips on the other and it comes with SPD clips Amazon.
Just got back from a bike store about 30-minutes ago with a pair of Giant bike shoes (multi-purpose). I tried those and the Shimano but the Shimano's the largest they had was a 11.8 and the Giant I needed a 13 (I am a 12 on normal shoes).

I am excited to get started on this; NOT excited about getting up at 4:30am to get ready and get to the gym on-time. I can at least sleep-in on weekends.
Old 08-29-18, 10:54 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
A couple years ago, for a local spin class, a customer bought road shoes,
and we fitted a SPD Cleat flanked by laterally stabilizing pontoons .

Made for using those cleats on road shoes ..
after the session, you take off those shoes ..
and put on shoes you prefer for your daily lifestyle..

If you want to bring your own pedals and a pedal wrench
to replace the ones on the class' stationary bikes, that's another choice..
No interest in putting pedals on and off the bikes. That would be overkill. But I am planning to come in with my Birkenstocks or flip-flops, put on the shoes (why I got velcro), do the class, and swap shoes again.
Old 08-29-18, 11:24 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got a 3 hole spd adapter so i just run my road shoes
Old 08-29-18, 03:52 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I tried a spin class once but had to quit because I got too dizzy.

Ba dum chissss
Old 08-29-18, 04:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes, this.
Same.
Old 09-04-18, 09:15 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
On Amazon they have Gavin MTB shoes for spin classes for $48. It would cost another $15 to get some SH56. Can't beat it with a stick.

Old 09-05-18, 08:08 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using Giant shoes and going to my 3rd class tomorrow. Already feeling the pain and benefits. A lot of carry over to my riding and conditioning in general; the instructors are a perk too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.