Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Commuter: Specialized Como 3.0 vs Raleigh Redux iE

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 04:56 PM
lmike6453

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm on a long thought out journey of which ebike to buy for commuting 8 miles each way, while also serving as my only bike for group rides of up to 50 mile flat or gravel grinders.

Test rode a lot and cancelled out Bosch options, while favoring a Brose mid drive.

Can't decide between the Specialized Como 3.0 or the Raleigh Redux iE. I test rode the Specialized but there aren't any Raleigh's in any shops near me to test ride, and would be buying it blind.

Specialized: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-como-3-0-650b/p/133847

Raleigh: https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-ie-step-over

I liked the Specialized overall and am leaning more towards the it for the wider tires for ride comfort.

Which would you choose as your only road bike / gravel grinder bike, with hills?

​​​​​
Old 09-20-18, 05:19 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
IMO, you would need a compelling reason to choose the Raleigh if you have a Specialized dealer nearby. Haven't ridden either though, but Specialized seems competitive wherever they tread. Look at electricbikereview; maybe they have tested either or both.
Old 09-20-18, 07:12 PM
lmike6453

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2old
IMO, you would need a compelling reason to choose the Raleigh if you have a Specialized dealer nearby. Haven't ridden either though, but Specialized seems competitive wherever they tread. Look at electricbikereview; maybe they have tested either or both.
Thanks for the reply. electricbikereview.com has a review for the Specialized Como 2.0, but not the 3.0 which is a notch better. Both bikes look very nice:

Specialized Como 2.0 review: https://electricbikereview.com/speci...ow-entry-650b/
Raleigh review (new 2018 model comes with fenders and lights): https://electricbikereview.com/raleigh/redux-ie/
Old 10-16-18, 09:02 PM
AlanK

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I'm also looking at the Raleigh IE Step Over. In looking at both bikes, I prefer the Geometry of the Raleigh because it seems more nimble. While the Specialized Como seems fine, IMO the Raleigh seems significantly better and costs about $200 less. It looks like the review is of the previous model. The latest model has wider tires, a rack and fenders. While it's not intended for off-road, it could probably handle gravel and dirt-roads fine even if it isn't ideal.

While the Brose drive is fairly new, my LBS is a first rate mechanic and he's really impressed with it. He says it's simple and reliable - my two most important transportation criteria. Here's a link to the latest model:
https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-ie-step-over

Last edited by AlanK; 10-16-18 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 10:06 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Brose is one of the largest if not THE largest electric motor manufacturer in the world. My friend has a Brose mid-drive equipped Bulls full suspension bike and loves it.
Old 10-19-18, 10:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I own a Redux and have ridden a Como 3.0 as well (on an extended test ride and shorter stuff as well) I can say if you want more upright comfort Como. If you want more of a hybrid feel then Redux. Also if you want a full step through, Como.

Those are the biggest points because everything else is pretty similar or darn close enough. Me I went with the Redux because it was the perfect bike for what I needed it for and last years model was nice and bare bones and a perfect platform to upgrade (because I don't leave well enough alone). It felt like a regular bike and was a good position for me as I don't like super upright bikes generally (though that Como is a great ride). The Redux for this year does come with fenders with an integrated rack so that could be something worth it to you, also the light is mounted on the rack which is another nice thing if you plan on using a rack (mounting it in the saddle is great if you aren't putting anything behind it.
Old 10-19-18, 11:02 AM
NABRXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased a Raleigh Lore in July of 2018--I currently have 2500 commuting miles on it--Its a great bike. Buy one, you wont be disappointed.
Old 10-20-18, 05:24 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I test rode a specialized emtb recently (don't know which model). I believe the specialized emtb's for 2018 use the brose motors as well. I was very disappointed by the power. They were far less powerful than the Shimano and brose mid drive motors I tried. I actually took the bike back and the employee confirmed the battery was half full!

Always test ride before a purchase. Several of the Raleighs use brose motors as well, and while they are very quiet, they are definitely less powerful.