Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Homemade Gatorade

Old 06-06-19, 10:18 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Homemade Gatorade

Do you make your own "Gatorade" electrolyte drink? Is it as good or better than the store bought stuff? Wanna share your recipe??
Old 06-06-19, 10:21 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 101 Posts
Recipe? umh?
To be honest i never tried any but thats sound very interesting.
subbed
Old 06-07-19, 04:07 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Tap water, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar. Or a few spoonful of pickle juice if there is some at hand.

I once filled up my water bottle with whiskey and cola (not when riding, the bottle happened to be around and was just the lightest and most practical container at that moment) - after that I could still feel the taste in the water for several weeks
Old 06-07-19, 07:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Gatorade is basically Kool Aid with salt and potassium added. Probably not hard to figure out a recipe with a packet or so of your favorite flavor kool aid, some sugar (and/or some maltodextrin instead), some salt, and some salt substitute (which uses potassium instead of sodium).

The challenge may more be though to mix this stuff altogether for bulk canister storage, in a way where all the ingredients are uniformly distributed, so that scooping out some for a single serving has the correct balance of the 4-5 ingredients.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 06-07-19 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-07-19, 07:25 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It was not a great innovation no matter they hype. Look up "warm blooded Ringer's solution" a concoction used in biology labs for more than a century. It has the same chemistry as the fluid in tissue. Add sugar and flavoring and you have Gatorade. It's no wonder Pepsico bought the rights to make it. Take 3 cents worth of salts, sugar, and flavoring and sell a quart of it for a dollar. Hard to lose money on that.
Old 06-07-19, 07:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
It's pretty cheap to buy the powder in a tub. I add salt in hot weather. Probably more choice of flavor if you concoct your own.
Old 06-07-19, 07:59 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Morton Lite Salt might be a good ingredient. I use it instead of table salt because it's less sodium and more potassium. According to the label, 1/4 teaspoon has 290mg sodium and 350mg potassium.

Last edited by rseeker; 06-10-19 at 10:38 PM.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 06-07-19, 08:05 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Costco sells a large can of Gatorade Glacier Blast flavor powder for $10. That's pretty hard to beat. It is a seasonal product. They only sell it during the warmer months (at least where I live where we have winter).
Old 06-07-19, 08:07 AM
CycleryNorth81

Here is a link to a sports drink that is very similar to the "G" formula. Recipe #1 is very close to replicating the commercial sports drink. It consist of Kool aide, sugar, Morton lite salt (sodium chloride, potassium chloride) and water. It probably cost pennies to make.

Recipes for Homemade Sports Drinks
Old 06-07-19, 08:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Here is a link to a sports drink that is very similar to the "G" formula. Recipe #1 is very close to replicating the commercial sports drink. It consist of Kool aide, sugar, Morton lite salt (sodium chloride, potassium chloride) and water. It probably cost pennies to make.

Recipes for Homemade Sports Drinks
True.. but a hassle to make each time you want to fill a couple water bottles, and as I previously noted, premixing larger batch has the question of mixing all of the dry ingredients uniformly throughout.

A 3.3lb container of gatorade makes about 40 water bottles and I bought one for $7.50. Comes to about $.20 per bottle
Old 06-07-19, 08:24 AM
CycleryNorth81

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
True.. but a hassle to make each time you want to fill a couple water bottles, and as I previously noted, premixing larger batch has the question of mixing all of the dry ingredients uniformly throughout.

A 3.3lb container of gatorade makes about 40 water bottles and I bought one for $7.50. Comes to about $.20 per bottle
My calculations comes out to 5cents per 8 ounce serving. Who say I cannot make enough for 100 water bottles once I know the proportions?
Old 06-07-19, 08:41 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
My calculations comes out to 5cents per 8 ounce serving. Who say I cannot make enough for 100 water bottles once I know the proportions?
You can, but it's probably simpler if you make it in bottle or week size batches. A whole tub of the premade powder tends to get clumpy once opened.

A while back I picked up a cheap little .01 gram scale, I'd probably find some light plastic pan (or even fold one from paper) and tare the scale with that, weigh out the salts first, and then do the sugars there for a small batch, or with measuring cups for a larger one.

Remember to take into account the difference between the weight of potassium vs potassium chloride, same for sodium. Or you can look up the amount in volume measures like a teaspoon/tablespoon. I'd be tempted to keep it in a wire-latch mason jar (hmm, might actually go get one and transfer my tub of gatorade to it).

If I was going to do it, it would probably be to end up with something more like what I get by putting a nuun tablet in a bottle of mixed or purchased gatorade, rather than just duplicating the purchased tub. Might have to find some kool aid or something and try it, especially on a ride where I'll be going by a water source/bathroom anyway making pouring a bad experiment down the drain and starting over with the usual again an option.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-07-19 at 08:54 AM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 06-07-19, 08:51 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
No recipe per se, just add lemon juice, sugar and salt to water bottle. Mix, adjust to taste. Stronger when you feel it's necessary, weaker when you mainly just want to flavor your water. No need to over-complicate things.

I suppose you could add other flavors for variety (orange, vanilla? coffee?). There are plenty of flavor concentrates out there.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 06-07-19, 08:57 AM
CycleryNorth81

Originally Posted by UniChris
You can, but it's probably simpler if you make it in bottle or week size batches. A whole tub of the premade powder tends to get clumpy once opened.

A while back I picked up a cheap little .01 gram scale, I'd probably find some light plastic pan (or even fold one from paper) and tare the scale with that, weigh out the salts first, and then do the sugars there for a small batch, or with measuring cups for a larger one.

Remember to take into account the difference between the weight of potassium vs potassium chloride, same for sodium. Or you can look up the amount in volume measures like a teaspoon/tablespoon. I'd be tempted to keep it in a wire-latch mason jar (hmm, might actually go get one and transfer my tub of gatorade to it).
Recipe#1 in the link is actually very simple.
120 grams Sugar + 4.2 grams Mortin Lite salt +1,875.8 grams water = 2,000 grams sports drink (regular size pitcher)
Subtract from 1,875.8 grams water if adding flavoring. Packet will tell you weight of product to subtract
Morton Lite salt is sodium chloride and potassium chloride. It is not elemental sodium or potassium
Wire latch mason jar is a great idea
Old 06-07-19, 08:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

You can.. but tricky to keep 4-5 different powders evenly mixed together in the proportions you want over time.. finer/denser grains will settle, etc.

A standard bike water bottle is typically 22ozs.. so your calculations equate to roughly 13 cents per bike bottle (vs Gatorade powder coming in at 20 cents). If this is worth it to you then by all means give it a shot.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 06-07-19 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 09:04 AM
CycleryNorth81

You can.. but tricky to keep 4-5 different powders evenly mixed together in the proportions you want over time.. finer/denser grains will settle, etc.

A standard bike water bottle is typically 22ozs.. so your calculations equate to roughly 11-12 cents per bike bottle (vs Gatorade powder coming in at 20 cents). If this is worth it to you then by all means give it a shot.
Who said I have to premix the powder? I can make a pitcher when I want one.
Old 06-07-19, 09:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Who said I have to premix the powder? I can make a pitcher when I want one.
You did.. unless you were talking about making 100 bottles worth of liquid -- which would be kinda insane unless you're working a large bike event and want to fill up eg. 10 gallon dispensers for the participants?
Old 06-07-19, 09:19 AM
CycleryNorth81

You did.. unless you were talking about making 100 bottles worth of liquid -- which would be kinda insane unless you're working a large bike event and want to fill up eg. 10 gallon dispensers for the participants?
You are right. I am going to make 100 bottles worth.
You happy now?
Old 06-07-19, 09:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

You are right. I am going to make 100 bottles worth.
You happy now?
ecstatic.. make 100 bottles worth, make just a pitcher. enjoy whatever you decide. for flavor, try the Kool Aid Blue Raspberry Lemonade Twist
Old 06-07-19, 09:24 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I looked at this, because I wanted something with a lower glycemic index. What I wound up doing instead of making my own was buying HEED.
Old 06-07-19, 09:29 AM
CycleryNorth81

I now understand why smart people hate idiots.
Old 06-07-19, 09:32 AM
CycleryNorth81

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I looked at this, because I wanted something with a lower glycemic index. What I wound up doing instead of making my own was buying HEED.
The formula used 120 grams of sugar per 2000 gram drink. You can lower the sugar to a level that suites you (ie 90grams sugar/2000 gram drink).
Old 06-07-19, 10:02 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The formula used 120 grams of sugar per 2000 gram drink. You can lower the sugar to a level that suites you (ie 90grams sugar/2000 gram drink).
I didn’t need less sugar. I needed slower sugar.
Old 06-07-19, 10:14 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Back in the 60s, we raced in the pre-Gatorade days. I used to carry tea mixed with honey in my bottle on longer rides, water on shorter training days. We used old school metal bottles, and I had a double handle bar rack, one for water and one for tea and honey. On a longer rides it seemed lukewarm tea and honey worked better for me than luke warm water.

On shorter rides I used the second bottle cage to carry a spare tubular tire,
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 06-07-19, 01:26 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
No recipe per se, just add lemon juice, sugar and salt to water bottle. Mix, adjust to taste. Stronger when you feel it's necessary, weaker when you mainly just want to flavor your water. No need to over-complicate things.

I suppose you could add other flavors for variety (orange, vanilla? coffee?). There are plenty of flavor concentrates out there.
Bingo. I was sick of drinking plain water and ran out of Nuun tablets, and then wife invited me for an unexpected ride together (the bike kind, people!). Looked up a recipe online quickly, just that - salt, sugar, lemon juice - exceeded my expectations in being refreshing.

Colorful 'drink powders'? Hell no.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.