Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Cargo Trailer for Archery Enthusiast (or other equipment-based hobbies)?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-13-19, 03:45 PM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Virtually every bicycle trailers I have seen are low riding.

I understand that such designs are for greater stability, but I just personally do not like such designs for 3 reasons:
1. Even with dust covers, things just often get dirtier the closer they are to the ground.
2. I just would like the objects stored in the rear to be closer to my back for security purposes. Objects stored on lower trailers require more visual attention in order to deter theft.
3. Even while towing a heavy load, I still care about the loss of energy via aerodynamics. 'Fish tail' designs are best used at the torso height on the bicycle.

I am curious if there are any new trailers with design features similar to that of my own drawing below

As you can see, the ball-hitch joint would extend from the seat post. The frame of the trailer itself would act as a fender to objects stored on the 'luggage space'. At the side of the trailer, perhaps you can add slim panniers or (even better for me) you can securely hook up archery cases. The benefit of such side storage is that one does not need to take down the archery equipment and the bow can be quickly accessed in an upright position by the archer. The same can be said of hunters with their shotguns/rifles or guitarists with their guitar cases.
After the hunt, heavy deer meat would be placed on the 'luggage space' while the hunting equipment would already have their place on the side. Stability shouldn't really be an issue if the trailer has two wheels anyways.

Last edited by Aznman; 07-13-19 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 08:40 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Trailer for my Kayak

Made of parts from this old kid carrier. Rebuilt the hubs and added new rubber.

Currently working on a hitch that attaches from the kayak to the rear rack. I want it high so the yak won't bottom out on hills and dips. I might make bamboo arms and a collar as I have left over epoxy resin and hemp cord from a bamboo bike build.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-13-19 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 09:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Your problems seem kind of imaginary (low = theft, really?) or easily solved (fenders and floor for mess), but your solution resembles a Burley Travoy
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-14-19, 07:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Aznman,
dont get the theft thing also
aero--not a difference at all, our riding speeds touring as way too slow

but the main issue is very simple--the weight will be too high, and the bike/trailer will be very "floppy" and all kinds of unstable at varying speeds, this is why it makes a diff having panniers lower down

think of the stereotypical milk carton strapped to the top of a rear rack, most of us have probably ridden or helped move a bike with lots of stuff in a milk crate--tippy as heck

but hey, build it and find out for yourself and make your own opinion.
I guess with a light load it will work, but you still have to build it.
Old 07-14-19, 08:16 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
There is the Extrawheel: https://cycloscope.net/extrawheel-tr...t-bike-touring
Old 07-14-19, 11:15 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
The cyclone trailer made by radical designs is the lightest trailer.
Old 07-15-19, 04:08 AM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Trailer for my Kayak

Made of parts from this old kid carrier. Rebuilt the hubs and added new rubber.

Currently working on a hitch that attaches from the kayak to the rear rack. I want it high so the yak won't bottom out on hills and dips. I might make bamboo arms and a collar as I have left over epoxy resin and hemp cord from a bamboo bike build.
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
To both of you: awesome design and site.
Old 09-30-20, 08:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
NOTE: This is a somewhat older thread.

Virtually every bicycle trailer I have seen is low riding.

The principle issue with high hitch trailers is braking.

The traditional Mexico-pattern cargo trailer is close to what is proposed.

The Burley Piccolo Trailercycle has improved hitch geometry similar to what is proposed here.
Likes For tcs:
Old 09-30-20, 11:32 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Original post/thread beginning was July 13 of 2019 - over a year old.

With a single wheel (extra wheel) type design - weight up high would be extremely dangerous due to the center of gravity. The hitch height would be a moot point then.

With a dual wheel (side-by-side) design the weight up high would be less dangerous as there wouldn't be the same balance issue (the side-by-side wheels take that out). However, you still have the high center of gravity so in turns and navigating terrain you run in to problems.

I don't think the nature of a "high hitch design" in and of itself is "a problem" or "dangerous" - it is where the center of gravity is and how stable the trailer rides. That is a weight and weight distribution equation, not a hitch location.

As to braking ability - if you put brakes on the trailer that should help, so long as there is enough of a load in/on the trailer otherwise the wheel(s) would just lock up.

Stability is going to come from center of gravity and fore/aft weight distribution (is there much hitch weight or very little, or negative?). The center of gravity side-to-side is two parts - 1. height. 2. track width (for side-by-side wheels). The wider you go the higher the center of gravity can be.

I will agree that commercially available trailer designs are not friendly to off-road uses, beyond gravel trail duty anyway. That having been said, personally, with a side-by-side wheel trailer design, I don't think the deck of a trailer being much higher than the axle is wise if you are going to carry much weight. That and the longer you make it the more stable it will track.
Likes For KC8QVO: