Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are all bikeshops like this?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 06:45 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
there's a lot of sadness in the world
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 08-19-19, 09:11 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
As someone who runs a small automotive shop, I can totally agree with this. There are some jobs which are going to take a lot of your time & effort and give you little profit. I hate to turn anyone away, or be rude and ignore them, so most of the time we just grin & bear it. On some occasions, the customer just has to be told that there's not much we can do for them.
That's where the fine art of communication, or dare I say persuasion, comes in at. Most people can see reason when its explained clearly enough to them. If all else fails, try compare and contrast: fixing the old one vs getting a new one. That usually always works on me.
Old 08-20-19, 06:40 AM
BririaBoarder

Bikes: Biria Easy Boarding 7 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The O.P. asked:

In my limited experience and town, not anymore, due to the welcome influx of town/comfort bicycles ridden by regular people.
Two decades ago, I took my ten-speed in to a bike shop to be weighed. The guy curled his lip at my hi-ten frame and non-alloy parts, as if he were hoisting a giant cow patty on the scales. "Ewww! She's not even wearing a jersey with a banana pocket in the back!" said his thought balloon.

Today, my local bike shop is the place that sold me my Biria Easy-Boarding seven-speed, after listening carefully to my requirements. They cheerfully attached all my accessories and made sure the bike fit me perfectly. The staff there a just as happy to pssshhht that last little bit into your tires at the beginning of spring as they are fixing up a racer's bicycle.
The shop is woman-owned and the staff is at least 50% women, and I'm sure that's the difference. I've had it up to here with guys who stand around talking among themselves, brazenly ignoring a non-spandex wearing woman customer.

~~~A bicycle without fenders is a person without eyebrows.
Old 08-20-19, 06:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Why do I suddenly feel the desire to buy a Biria Easy-Boarding seven-speed bicycle?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-19, 08:04 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I used to live somewhere that really didn’t have a bike shop, and also places with maybe only one nearby, and not too great, so I ordered a LOT online.

I was so excited to move somewhere that had a lot of shops with great reputations.

Now, I order a lot online, after crappy experiences at 3 of them. The 4th is just way overpriced. I’m willing to pay more for a good LBS, but their pricing exceeds my limit.

Plus, I’m a better mechanic than most shop mechanics.
Old 08-21-19, 08:27 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
That's where the fine art of communication, or dare I say persuasion, comes in at. Most people can see reason when its explained clearly enough to them. If all else fails, try compare and contrast: fixing the old one vs getting a new one. That usually always works on me.
Again, realistically... we’re talking about people who have chosen to work with machines, possibly because they’re more comfortable with things that make sense