Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1976 Eisentraut Limited Touring

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1976 Eisentraut Limited Touring

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 09:43 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
SWEET! I have one and was planning to try to go all-American, but have not gotten around to it. Funny, When I painted it a couple of years ago, I chose almost (Duplicolor Metallic Blue?) the same color.
Old 09-10-19, 10:05 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Gorgeous bike, love how it is turning out. Protect that Brooks!
Thank you! The Brooks stayed fairly dry on the ride since it was really just a typical Oregon drizzle, and I was only off the saddle for a moment.

Sad story about the previous owner. He bought it new, treated it with Proofide, rode it once, and then injured his back at work. He can’t ride anymore

I’ll wait on a second dose of Proofide until spring. Until then, I’ll be sewing a waterproof cover for it soon. And I plan to epoxy a bearing into the seat post binder bolt to deter thieves. I doubt most of them are smart enough, or well equipped enough to remove it from above. Those two bolt Campy posts are a royal PITA!

— — —

@Prowler thanks for the thoughts! I definitely plans to check the wheels after a few more miles. The riding so far has been too short to warrant that. They’ve been stress relieved, but that’s no guarantee against change in tensions.

I’ll pay attention too to how the web straps perform, and hold up. I’m impressed with how robust they are actually, and expect them to do well, but we’ll see.

— — —

Originally Posted by friendofpugs
Excellent build thread, thank you very much! How do you like the touring geometry compared to other rides?
Thank you. Honestly it’s too soon to tell how I would truly compare this touring frame’s geometry to that of sportier or racier bikes. However, I think it’s safe to say so far, that I believe that the relaxed angles are more appropriate for my physique, and style of riding. It’s been very comfortable already, and I haven’t quite zero’d in on saddle position or stem height yet. Still, for me, it feels more natural than similarly sized frames with steeper angles, and shorter wheelbases. I’m looking forward to to seeing how it handles with loaded bags up front!

Last edited by deux jambes; 09-10-19 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 11:02 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
The platform front rack/caliper brake combo is both period correct and works great. The above picture of your 'Traut illustrates perfect rack placement for a handlebar bag, centered over the front axle instead of in front of it. I don't covet many other peoples' bikes, but you've got yourself a prime specimen!
Old 09-10-19, 12:01 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Really elegant machine you have , my Friend! It presents itself well. Glad to read the build is almost over and the Fall touring can commence.

Regards, 3SS
Old 09-10-19, 12:03 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
That turned out great. Nice job.
Old 09-10-19, 12:14 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Pushes all my buttons and ticks all my boxes. Very well done. Love the TA crankset and the MKS pedals. And thank you for the serial work-in-progress photos -- a nice thought that shows how focused you were on the build. Agree with the suggestion for fenders especially where you are. Stainless steel, smooth unhammered finish would be my vote.
Old 09-10-19, 07:48 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by nlerner
Lovely! My only functional nit to pick is that I have found the headset mount VO devaleur has a tendency to move around under load. That might not be a problem with a bag also attached to your front rack, but I suggest you consider a slick @gugie made unit.
Shoot! Not the best news to hear, but good to have a heads up anyhow. Thanks. I suppose I’ll count on cinching the bag to the rack. And had I known gugie fabbed decaluers, I surely would have gone with one of his instead! Maybe next season... an upgrade!
Old 09-10-19, 08:58 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Really nice build! I like everything about it.
Old 09-11-19, 03:09 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Looks ready to go out and explore the Willamette valley and environs, nice job
Old 09-11-19, 03:28 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Beautiful machine and excellent build report. Thank you!

Old 09-11-19, 05:43 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Great job man! I’m loving everything about this one. Keep us posted on further mods and ride reports.
Old 09-11-19, 08:07 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
2. I'm impressed that you slackened off all the spokes and then retensioned the rear wheel. I have not done that with my old wheels but that intuitively makes sense to me. Old wheels tend to lose tension over time and the spokes are generally not very evenly tensioned (especially on the rear). That's a heck of a lot of work but I may do that with an old wheel set that I want to start using regularly. I'm curious whether anyone else is doing that as well. Maybe we need a thread on how forum members get old wheels road worthy.
I have done this when I can't get a wheel to straighten out. My nemesis is a hop or flat spot, but if I start over I can usually get it true, unless the rim is bent.
Old 09-11-19, 10:48 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by bikemig
@deux jambes, lovely build and impressive job both of restoring the bike and tracking down all the parts. Sometimes I think half the fun is just tracking down stuff for that "perfect" build.

— — —

What do you think of that TA crank? I like them but my experience with them is that the chainrings are very close together (which makes sense given the narrow Q factor) but that requires more trimming of the FD than is the case with other cranks. Are you experiencing that as well? Have you tried sourcing a TA sticker for the crank arm? I'd love to track a set down for a Moto Grand Record I have with a TA crank.
Thank you. And yes, I agree that much of the fun of the build can be in the hunt for its parts. Some of the harder to come by components, or just plain good deals, are all the more appreciated when they do come up. It all makes for special experience!

As for the TA, my experience with it, and with a triple in general, is short so far. What I can say is that your observation seems on point, and the reason I’d agree is that for what little bit of shifting I’ve done so far, trimming has been pretty much necessary most of the time. I’m also new to barcons, and don’t feel totally familiar with the feel of them yet, so I wonder how much that may have to do with it.

Initially I thought to simply remove the sticker from the non drive arm. But in the end I ordered the same stickers that @TenGrainBread linked. That was over two weeks ago, I’m guessing they should be here soon!
Old 09-11-19, 11:00 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Looking good! The deer head was a great choice.
Really pleased with the deer head so far. They were easy to adjust, and though I’ve only put 6 miles or so on them, they’re performing very well. The front picks chain up, and smoothly moves it were I want, while the rear tensions the chain well, and provides quick assertive shifts. Good looking pieces too in my opinion. And while they’re heavier than what I’ve sought from derailleurs in the past, I get the feeling that they can take beating.
Old 09-11-19, 11:24 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by due ruote
That’s quite a first build. Well done.
What are the plans for bar tape? Any thoughts on fenders after your wet ride?
Thank you!

Fenders are required in Oregon lol... Luckily a rainy day here or there this time of year, is no indication that it gender season yet though. Once there however, I think VO seems the most likely choice. Probably hammered so that I don’t have to worry about keeping them “nice” looking.

Bar tape was not an easy decision. Too many options out there. However, I did settle on Newbaums. I ordered up a couple rolls of “khaki,” expecting more of a tan color than the pale green that arrived. A bit disappointed, but I decided to go with it for the time being. After 3 coats of clear shellac the tape darkened up significantly. Tape is finished with some really strong cord found at an art shop.

I like the results enough to call it good for now.

Old 09-12-19, 05:43 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Thank you. And yes, I agree that much of the fun of the build can be in the hunt for its parts. Some of the harder to come by components, or just plain good deals, are all the more appreciated when they do come up. It all makes for special experience!

As for the TA, my experience with it, and with a triple in general, is short so far. What I can say is that your observation seems on point, and the reason I’d agree is that for what little bit of shifting I’ve done so far, trimming has been pretty much necessary most of the time. I’m also new to barcons, and don’t feel totally familiar with the feel of them yet, so I wonder how much that may have to do with it.

Initially I thought to simply remove the sticker from the non drive arm. But in the end I ordered the same stickers that @TenGrainBread linked. That was over two weeks ago, I’m guessing they should be here soon!
In my exerience, the barcons are a little less precise than downtube shifters but they comfortable to use and mesh really well with triples as you do have to do a lot of shifting. The TA is uber cool looking but it is far more fiddly than a 110/74 shimano or sugino triple.
Old 09-12-19, 06:00 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Can't go wrong with cotton tape! Good choice.

FWIW at this time historically the fenders most likely would have been dark blue Bluemels. At the time they were ABS I suspect, and could break if you weren't careful. FWIW SKS makes a modernized version but in black only, using ESGE/SKS laminated material. Best of both worlds. I don't think you can get dark blue fenders anymore. SOMA has a similar looking fender set that is med dark blue. I recollect some other hipster company makes a lookalike. Can't recall the brand. Also around this time ESGE fenders were introduced. Those also would be historically correct, FWIW. By the time I started my first LBS job in 1980, ESGE were considered the gold standard. Always silver with black stripes. Still available but called SKS now) VO hammered would probably be the most elegant looking. I like them. Not really period correct for a USA bike, but it isn't the 70's anymore.
Old 09-12-19, 10:53 AM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Congratulations!!

This build has been a long time coming, and it’s looking glorious!

Have fun Fall rides with it!!!
Thank you! Yes, it’s taken some time for sure. A trial in patience, and well worth it for sure...

Just in time for my favorite time of year!
Old 09-12-19, 11:01 AM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
SWEET! I have one and was planning to try to go all-American, but have not gotten around to it. Funny, When I painted it a couple of years ago, I chose almost (Duplicolor Metallic Blue?) the same color.
An all American build would be very impressive!

Funny. Mine wound up representing France, Italy, Japan, England... and of course, good ‘ol USA. Pretty neutral in the end. Would that make it a Swiss build?

I found that Testers model paint “Arctic Blue” is a dead on match for the frame. I’ve yet to use it for any touch up however. Still not sure that I will or not.

Would love to see a pic of your Eisentraut sometime!
Old 09-12-19, 11:08 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
Thank you! Yes, it’s taken some time for sure. A trial in patience, and well worth it for sure...

Just in time for my favorite time of year!
Every build I learn something else. I love seeing how other people overcome things that pop up.

Great ride!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-12-19, 03:13 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by ryansu
Looks ready to go out and explore the Willamette valley and environs, nice job
Originally Posted by jethin
Great job man! I’m loving everything about this one. Keep us posted on further mods and ride reports.
Thanks you two, And with the awesome weather today, I figured it was high time to do a little bit of that local exploring...

First, I needed groceries, so putting the panniers on, and testing the bike under load seemed a good idea. I loaded it up much heavier than I would for a tour or camping. Thought it’d be smart to test the limits.

Front tire was a bit bit under inflated for the job. All that meant was I had an opportunity to use the Silca Impero for the first time. The pump came from the Co-Op, and @malcala622 supplied the metal Campy head for it (thanks again buddy!) It worked great. Which reminds me to mention that the Jim Blackburn bottle cage came from @cudak888 and @TimmyT provided the Crane Karen bell (thanks fellas)!

The ride was a feel that was all new to me, and I was more mindful on the ride home than usual. Overall, I’d say the rack, bags, and bike handled the job very well.

The early Blackburn lowrider frames were scored on eBay, while the Jandd bags came from the Co-Op. Ostrich rando bag was found on FB Marketplace.

Here she is loaded down with about 25 to 30 lbs of groceries...

After unloading the goods at home, I noticed the headset needed readjustment, as it had developed a bit of play. Once good again, it was off for a leisurely ride along the river bike path. You’ll see that others had similar ideas on how to spend a beautiful care free (and car free) day...

All in all, about 20 miles clocked in since completing the build. The bike is performing great, and I couldn’t be more happy with it!
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 09-12-19, 03:54 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Good stuff. Oakland pride!
Old 09-12-19, 04:10 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Well, I have to say it. That’s a pretty gorgeous bike to lock up at the grocery store. I think you need an old Rockhopper or something.
Old 09-12-19, 04:39 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Good stuff. Oakland pride!
100%

Born & raised in ‘74, and though I’ve been here in Eugene since ‘93, I’ll always be from “The Town!”

Originally Posted by due ruote
Well, I have to say it. That’s a pretty gorgeous bike to lock up at the grocery store. I think you need an old Rockhopper or something.
Thanks, and I’m afraid you’re right. That’s why today’s grocery run was solely for testing the bike under load. The grocery is within walking distance from home. Still, bike theft is a major problem in Eugene, and that’s exactly why I should build a beater to use for errands which might require me to lock a bike up away from my line of sight for any extended period of time.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 09-12-19, 09:29 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
An all American build would be very impressive!

Funny. Mine wound up representing France, Italy, Japan, England... and of course, good ‘ol USA. Pretty neutral in the end. Would that make it a Swiss build?

I found that Testers model paint “Arctic Blue” is a dead on match for the frame. I’ve yet to use it for any touch up however. Still not sure that I will or not.

Would love to see a pic of your Eisentraut sometime!

I like the metallic blue with the flat copper of the decals, but feel let down by the fragility of the Duplicolor paint, even after 2 years of drying. I was planning to use a 2k clear over it, but then heard someplace(?) that there might be compatability issues. So it sits, still.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.