Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Ride Pics

Old 10-26-18, 02:52 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
That group night right looks like a blast.
All but one of my friends think the world will end if they ride with lights at night.
-Tim-
Thanks Y'all

A friend once shot a video of about 20 of us mountain biking at night. Seeing that snaking line of lights go through the forrest was mesmerizing.

I do love biking in the dark. Quiet and peaceful, I don't overheat, usually no wind, its easy to see what little traffic there is (and vice versa).

And, if I come up on cars too fast they often pull over and let me pass (especially if I'm using "strobe" mode).
Old 10-26-18, 05:39 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass

Ohhhh .. that making me droooollll :-) ...what is it, I'm guessing 650b's ??
Old 10-26-18, 06:16 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Ohhhh .. that making me droooollll :-) ...what is it, I'm guessing 650b's ??
WTB Byways, 650B. Coming from a MTB background, I'm constantly surprised by the grip of these tires.
Old 10-28-18, 08:31 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Hansen Damn Rec area.
Old 10-28-18, 11:30 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Took a short steep ride up Mt Josephine (San Gabriel Mtns SoCal) on Friday. Last time I rode here it was foggy and I had no view .

This time of year, its a pretty decent dirt road with only a few rockier sections - come the spring many of these dirt roads get pretty rutted and rocky

Last turn before the top

View from the top.

Looking back towards Big Tujunga Canyon and Mt Lukens - another great but longer ride.

Better view of Mt Lukens. I rode up and over there last weekend, starting at Hwy 2. A little over a 20 mile loop descending via Haines Canyon Motorway single track. Really MTB country, but worth the exploration, despite some cuts and bruises i picked up when i made a wrong turn down a very steep MTB course. Thank you Garmin!

Last edited by Bingod; 10-28-18 at 11:38 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old 10-28-18, 12:45 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Bingod

Took a short steep ride up Mt Josephine (San Gabriel Mtns SoCal) on Friday. Last time I rode here it was foggy and I had no view .
This time of year, its a pretty decent dirt road with only a few rockier sections - come the spring many of these dirt roads get pretty rutted and rocky
Last turn before the top
Looking back towards Big Tujunga Canyon and Mt Lukens - another great but longer ride.
Better view of Mt Lukens. I rode up and over there last weekend, starting at Hwy 2. A little over a 20 mile loop descending via Haines Canyon Motorway single track. Really MTB country, but worth the exploration, despite some cuts and bruises i picked up when i made a wrong turn down a very steep MTB course. Thank you Garmin!
Great shots. This is my turf as well. Haven't done Mt Josephine though. Lukens is a workout for sure. Pretty much the limit for my middle-aged arse!
Old 10-28-18, 02:28 PM
Bingod

Thanks, it was an absurdly clear day. I did myself a favor and put on a 26T chain ring - with a 12-36 cassette - definitely helped me and my middle-aged arse get up there. Certainly would make Lukens less of a slog.
Old 10-28-18, 04:45 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks, it was an absurdly clear day. I did myself a favor and put on a 26T chain ring - with a 12-36 cassette - definitely helped me and my middle-aged arse get up there. Certainly would make Lukens less of a slog.
Great pics ... especially the one with the bike in ... would make a great promo pic for them ... sell it them .... or at least ask for some goodies in return

What is the bike by the way an Anyroad??

Last edited by Witterings; 10-28-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 05:43 PM
Bingod

Thanks. Yep, its a basic Anyroad 2 with a bigger front brake. Good idea, I could use some new bar tape, and a second set of wheels - Giant... can you hear me?
Old 10-29-18, 12:26 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Toolin around the neighborhood....

Old 10-29-18, 08:05 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Good to see some LA rider pics. Although I don't call our fireroads..."gravelroads" !
We are plagued with hard packed adobe clay soil, hard ruts filled with sand and loose rocks and loose rocks all over the roads.
That pic with the green bike looks like Ridge Motorway, or Cherry Motorway in San Rafael hills. Been there. Also gone up Mt Josephine once or twice and Mt. Lukens about 4 times. Usually ride MTB but I see a few gravel grinders, but I would rather not ride those roads with drop bars.
I need flat bars and 2.25 inch tires.
Old 10-29-18, 09:18 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by trailangel
Good to see some LA rider pics. Although I don't call our fireroads..."gravelroads" !
We are plagued with hard packed adobe clay soil, hard ruts filled with sand and loose rocks and loose rocks all over the roads.
That pic with the green bike looks like Ridge Motorway, or Cherry Motorway in San Rafael hills. Been there. Also gone up Mt Josephine once or twice and Mt. Lukens about 4 times. Usually ride MTB but I see a few gravel grinders, but I would rather not ride those roads with drop bars.
I need flat bars and 2.25 inch tires.
Yep, that's Cherry Canyon. I agree with your assessment--our fire roads in SoCal are not "gravel"! However, I really love riding this style of bike here. I ride it pretty much everywhere I used to mountain bike, I just ride differently. Admittedly, prior to getting my first "gravel bike" a couple years ago, I was solely riding a rigid singlespeed mtb around here, so I guess I just traded one manner of "underbiking" for another
Old 11-05-18, 03:35 PM
Bingod

Here are a few pics from my ride up Mt. Lowe Rd (Motorway) from Alta Dena to the observatory at Mt. Wilson. Camera malfunctions and user error meant I only snapped pics of the higher elevations. Its about 10.2 miles uphill with about 4800ft of elevation gained. The first 2.5ish miles are on OK asphalt which quickly picks up in grade to a minimum sustained 12% and as much as 20%. It then levels off to about a 7% dirt road and continues to flatten out the further up you go. There's fantastic views and secluded shaded areas. About a mile before the tunnel the trail gets rocky - Last 1.5 miles are on newly laid asphalt to the top of Mt. Wilson.

About a good as it gets. Mt Lukens in the distance - again.

Pretty smooth and dusty for the most part

Gets rocky near the top

Mueller Tunnel. The mountains drops off sharply to the right, impressive and a little nerve-wracking.

Murky picture of the trail beneath Mt. Disappointment and San Gabriel Peak leading from Mueller Tunnel. Its downhill briefly to the Mt Wilson Rd

Top of Mt Wilson. Yep, that is The Pacific in the distance.

Picked up a slow rear pinch flat somewhere before I hit the asphalt section on my way back to the car. Pumped it up and made it without a repair.

Last edited by Bingod; 11-07-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 03:49 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Here are a few pics from my ride up Mt. Lowe Rd (Motorway) from Alta Dena to the observatory at Mt. Wilson. Camera malfunctions and user error meant I only snapped pics of the higher elevations. Its about 10.2 miles uphill with about 4800ft of elevation gained. The first 2.5ish miles are on OK asphalt which quickly picks up in grade to a minimum sustained 12% and as much as 20%. It then levels off to about a 7% dirt road and continues to flatten out the further up you go. There's fantastic views and secluded shaded areas. About a mile before the tunnel the trail gets rocky - Last 1.5 miles are on newly laid asphalt to the top of Mt. Wilson.

Picked up a slow rear pinch flat somewhere before I hit the asphalt section on my way back to the car. Pumped it up and made it without a repair.
The 12-20% portions are on asphalt or "gravel"? Did you go down the same way?
Old 11-05-18, 04:57 PM
Bingod

Yes, those steep grades are on asphalt - the grade picks up steeply after 1/3 mile of moderate climbing. Its then a steady steep grade with a few short super steep sections to question your sanity. and yes, i came down the same way.

Last edited by Bingod; 11-05-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 05:08 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

About a good as it gets. Mt Lukens in the distance - again.

Pretty smooth and dusty for the most part

Gets rocky near the top

Mueller Tunnel. The mountains drops off sharply to the right, impressive and a little nerve-wracking.

Murky picture of the trail beneath Mt. Lowe leading from Mueller Tunnel. ts downhill briefly to the Mt Wilson Rd

Top of Mt Wilson. Yep, that is The Pacific in the distance.

Man I really dig that crazy sloping top tube seat tube collar situation on the Anyroad.
Old 11-07-18, 11:38 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Old 11-07-18, 11:55 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Yes, those steep grades are on asphalt - the grade picks up steeply after 1/3 mile of moderate climbing. Its then a steady steep grade with a few short super steep sections to question your sanity. and yes, i came down the same way.

Chaney Trail..... my Strava says that asphalt beginning part is 25% and some of the "gravel" part is close to the same. It's a biache. Most people put the bike in their car and drive past that asphalt part to the trailhead.
I made it to Inspiration Point. Had lunch and returned.....on MTB from South Pasadena and back. Good to show what our "gravel roads" look like here. I don't think I could do it on a drop bar bike.
BTW, I ripped up my disc brake pads on the way down......with some brake fade as well.
Old 11-07-18, 08:43 PM
Bingod

Originally Posted by trailangel
Chaney Trail..... my Strava says that asphalt beginning part is 25% and some of the "gravel" part is close to the same. It's a biache. Most people put the bike in their car and drive past that asphalt part to the trailhead.
I made it to Inspiration Point. Had lunch and returned.....on MTB from South Pasadena and back. Good to show what our "gravel roads" look like here. I don't think I could do it on a drop bar bike.
BTW, I ripped up my disc brake pads on the way down......with some brake fade as well.
Thats how I did it. I drove up Chaney Trail and parked at the gate. Chaney Trail is pretty intense - not sure I'd have made it all the way up to Mt Wilson if I'd added that climb. I just put cheap sintered pads on my rear brake- not sure how long they will last but they didn't fade - but then again there's not much braking power there to fade.

Btw i just edited the name of the peaks above the trail. Its Mount Disappointment and San Gabriel Peak, not Mount Lowe, which is actually below the trail.

Last edited by Bingod; 11-07-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 09:41 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

Caught the sunset behind Mt. Lee (hollywood sign)
Old 11-08-18, 05:16 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Time to play in the snow and ice! Bigfoot grew its seasonal fangs

Old 11-08-18, 06:59 PM
pbass

Thats how I did it. I drove up Chaney Trail and parked at the gate. Chaney Trail is pretty intense - not sure I'd have made it all the way up to Mt Wilson if I'd added that climb. I just put cheap sintered pads on my rear brake- not sure how long they will last but they didn't fade - but then again there's not much braking power there to fade.

Btw i just edited the name of the peaks above the trail. Its Mount Disappointment and San Gabriel Peak, not Mount Lowe, which is actually below the trail.
Happy to hear I'm not the only one who drives up Chaney
Old 11-08-18, 09:17 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Nyc graveler

Nyc Intrepid
Old 11-11-18, 02:05 PM
jono_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Out riding a few trails until there's enough snow to ski them. Not gravel, but close enough.
Old 11-11-18, 06:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
That's a shame. Someone needs to clean up all that white stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.