Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for e-Bike mountain bike rec

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 08:10 PM
deerocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am looking for an ebike online. mountain bike.
i want something under 2k, 40-50 mile range, has a battery that can be replaced and isn’t proprietary.

also I read that the batteries die and are often unable to be purchased and the bike is no longer usable as an ebike.

all suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

Last edited by deerocker; 11-14-18 at 08:24 PM. Reason: ADD content
Old 11-15-18, 12:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
There are many ebikes in the $2K range (Rad Power, Biktrix to name a couple). Their batteries, while somewhat proprietary, can be easily replaced with commonly available ones. Sounds like you don't want to DIY, but for that amount you could create a dynamite conversion. BTW, your batteries will last several years if you maintain them at 20% - 80% of a full charge. Before you start you need to consider factors like road, off road, how hilly your intended route will be, total weight, wind resistance ......
Old 11-15-18, 02:20 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by deerocker
i am looking for an ebike online. mountain bike.
i want something under 2k, 40-50 mile range, has a battery that can be replaced and isn’t proprietary.

also I read that the batteries die and are often unable to be purchased and the bike is no longer usable as an ebike.

all suggestions welcomed. Thanks!
You won't find a mountain bike from one of the established manufacturers with the specs you want at $2K or under. Generally, you'll be looking at a generic Chinese frame with a functional, but very heavy sun tour fork, with perhaps a 500 watt hour battery or lower. This translates to around 20-35 miles of range. Less than that if you get a 400 watt hour battery for example. Also, you'll be buying direct, with no dealer prep or brick/mortar shop support (radpower has a few shops nationally but can't match specialized/trek/giant's distribution network obviously).

If you want a trek, giant, specialized, focus, canyon, or even a motobecane (bikes direct) e-mtb, your starting budget will be around $3500 for a bike like a motobecane or a comencal or a giant. All of those brands produce excellent bikes. Further up in price, you get to specialized and trek e-mtb's with full suspension and there you are starting closer to $5K and prices climb commensurate with spec.

I don't own this ebike, and have not test ridden it even, but it is very, very popular and well within your price range. It also has a higher capacity battery, 600+ watt hours. It also happens to be on sale during the week of Black Friday, at $1400 which is a phenomenal price. It's the radrover fat tire e-bike:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...=5032654929951

At $1400, it's got some limitations. It has a rear hub motor rather than a mid drive which is preferable for off road riding where torque is at a premium. It has mechanical discs not hydraulic. it has a cadence not a torque sensor, etc. Also, they're introducing a 2019 model soon with some significant upgrades so look into that.

Here's a bike just under $2K, the surface 604 shred. It has hydraulic discs, a torque sensor, higher top speed (28 vs 20 mph), and more conventional plus sized vs fat tires. It's also available in two sizes rather than just one like the radrover. I believe they will also have special Black Friday pricing, check back next week perhaps.

https://surface604bikes.com/products...-electric-bike

But really you should be doing some test riding, demo riding wherever possible and doing a bit more research by watching some review videos on youtube for example before you buy. Who knows, maybe you live close to a shop which carries either radpower or surface604 e-bikes, test ride them and love them and buy one. If not, you'll have to make an educated guess based on test riding bikes with similar specs or maybe you just go all in and buy with no test ride. Good luck!
Old 11-22-18, 10:51 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dunno where you are, but Matt at EMPowered Cycles in Castro Valley, CA will build your bike while you hang out (on your donor chassis) and will add another year to the warranty because he did the work. He has high density batteries available. You can have the performance and range you want for about $1,500 and a good donor bike. Do you have a sacrificial chassis? If so, it would just be shipping and it would be at your door in about 10 days