Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub logo not lining up with valve hole.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 08:45 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts

New wheels being built up using Phil hubs. Front wheel is 20h 2-cross. Phil logo won't line up with valve hole, it's always somewhat off center. Rotating hub 180 so logo is facing opposite of the valve hole it looks more aligned, maybe optical illusion, but now it's "upside down" if going by what is usually done.

I understand it has zero affect on wheel performance but still prefer it to look half way decent. Need to choose, slightly off center but facing valve hole, or facing opposite direction and appearing more centered. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by REDMASTA; 10-01-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-01-19, 09:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Aligning the hub's logo WRT the valve hole is certainly a goal many of us try for. Depending on spoke count and cross pattern one can get very close to spot on. The way I do it is to position the rim and hub as they will end up ideally then hold a spoke located at the hole adjacent to the valve and angled as the pattern dictates and as your preference of head in or out requires. Then the closest hub hole is noted. I'll feed into the hub that flange's side of spokes and lace then to the rim, twist the hub to emulate the pattern and check on the logo/valve relationship. If the logo is pretty close I continue with the second side of that flanges spokes. If not I redo the first side's spokes in the corrected holes in the hub.

So it's really just playing around with keeping an eye on how stuff lines up, angles away from the flange and how the rim's holes might be off set. Once you've done a few wheels and paid attention to this stuff things start to make more sense sooner and the process takes less time. Andy
Old 10-01-19, 09:06 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
New wheels being built up using Phil hubs. Front wheel is 20h 2-cross. Phil logo won't line up with valve hole, it's always somewhat off center. Rotating hub 180 so logo is facing opposite of the valve hole it looks more aligned, maybe optical illusion, but now it's "upside down" if going by what is usually done.

I understand it has zero affect on wheel performance but still prefer it to look half way decent. Need to choose, slightly off center but facing valve hole, or facing opposite direction and appearing more centered. Any suggestions? Thanks.
When the god of bicycle wheels inspects your wheel, he will look through your valve hole to see what hub is in the wheel he is granting is prodigious blessing to. If he can't see the hub logo, your wheel will be improperly blessed, and you will be subject to the whims of mister wibbly-wobbly, destroyer of wheels.

Does that answer your question?

Maybe you have a left-handed rim instead of the usual right handed rims, and the rim label will be in the right spot, but upside down instead when viewed from the drive side.
Old 10-01-19, 10:10 AM
REDMASTA

I guess these wheels are doomed then, not going to line up properly, best to just run the Phil logo facing the opposite direction and ride in purgatory.
Old 10-01-19, 10:18 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,377 Times in 7,205 Posts
...there was an epic thread some years back on OCD and this valve hole/hub label issue. I'll see if I can find it. It was there I first realized that some people call it CDO, because they want need the letters to be in ascending order.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-01-19, 10:19 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Try flipping your rim around.
Old 10-01-19, 10:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,377 Times in 7,205 Posts
...here's a good one, but not the one I'm thinking of.

Here's another good one, but still not the right one.

....damn it, it must have gotten purged in a cleanup. This is triggering my OCD !!!
Old 10-01-19, 10:55 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

+1 to the flip the rim guy.

I have a Suntour XCD front wheel that I was going to use, and then I noticed that the label was facing around 5 o'clock from the valve hole. What do you think I did with a perfectly acceptable build?

I unscrewed all of the nipples, and re-laced the thing with the hub label in the appropriate location.
Full disclosure, the spokes are OLD and I was getting a lot of friction when trying to adjust them, so I was already unscrewing each spoke to lube the threads and the nipple seat. Two had frozen to the nipples and preferred bearking at the threads to unscrewing. It's still 'ugly' as a rebuild because I was stuck with the original cross pattern, which was backwards (inside spokes are pushing, rather than pulling). Thankfully, it's a front wheel, and the consensus here is that 'pushing' and 'pulling' don't affect the build.

I think if you're careful, you can satisfy that feeling, moving the holes in the rim might give you the alignment you need. Unstick your rim label and switch the orientation if you're really hung up on it.
Old 10-01-19, 11:41 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Welcome to the Pop Psych Self Help Forum.

You can choose one of two paths leading in opposite directions:
1. Return the hub as defective for replacement; repeat as necessary; post here all about it. Maybe mix in some meds to lock-in your condition.
Or 2. Get some exercise to clear your head and then fill your life with some meaningful experiences.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 10-01-19 at 03:30 PM.
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 10-01-19, 11:43 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm not sure what's worse: a hub label that doesn't align with the valve hole at all, or one that almost does.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-01-19, 11:48 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
The Almighty will also surely punish Nabisco for this:

Old 10-01-19, 11:49 AM
B.C.Bikes

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo TIG w/ Campy S.R., Cotic BFE, Brompton, Pashley Unicycle, Sunday BMX, plenty of old and vintage bits and bobs.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you got any photos to show the issue?
Old 10-01-19, 11:55 AM
REDMASTA

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

The rear wheel which is 24h 2-cross will line up fine. I think it is the 20h 2-cross pattern and how it works with this rim and hub combo. No matter how you flip the wheel or position the hub the logo will always be off to one side a bit. You just don't notice it when it's facing away from the valve hole, tricks the eye.

Switching to a radial pattern would solve the issue but not sure I care that much, I like the 2-cross front. Will most likely just run the hubs in upside down mode, anger the wheel gods and trigger some CDO along the way .
Old 10-01-19, 01:04 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm not sure what's worse: a hub label that doesn't align with the valve hole at all, or one that almost does.
I've got the front Bontrager Paradigm Elite wheel off my bike to address some squeaking. The factory installed the hub offset by 1 pair of spoke holes. Grrrr. Now my OCD is acting up....
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 10-01-19, 01:24 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I've got the front Bontrager Paradigm Elite wheel off my bike to address some squeaking. The factory installed the hub offset by 1 pair of spoke holes. Grrrr. Now my OCD is acting up....
HEY! You're not going to attempt to fix something that's not broken, are you? Just look at the QR ends and call it a day!
Old 10-01-19, 01:29 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

For me, the obvious reason for this rule begins and ends with wheelbuilding. For a human building a wheel, looking at the rim slightly offset, you might lose a couple seconds looking for that built-in reference point, the valve hole. Lining that up with the hub logo simply moves your focus to an easier landmark, so you don't waste time looking for your reference point. Otherwise it's purely aesthetics, and as you admitted, doesn't add to the build quality on the wheel anyway.
Old 10-01-19, 01:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
When I built up my 650A wheels, I didn't have a lot of wheelbuilding experience under my belt yet, and I managed to screw up the valve position on both of them. The front was off by one spoke, so I had to reach between two close (but still parallel) spokes to pump up the tire. But the rear was off by two, so I had to reach between crossed spokes to work with the valve. I put up with that for a couple seasons of riding, but eventually relieved my OCD by de-tensioning the wheel and moving the spokes ends one at a time until everything was correct, then brought it back up to tension and trued it. Now the hub label faces the valve, too. Whew!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-01-19, 01:42 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
My front wheel has the valve hole and the hub logo lined up perfectly, the rear does not - I must have been in a hurry when I built it. Yes this triggers my OCD, but not enough to re-lace the wheel. You can bet the next wheel build will line up front and rear...
Old 10-01-19, 01:59 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
HEY! You're not going to attempt to fix something that's not broken, are you? Just look at the QR ends and call it a day!
I got the endpieces off of the hub, and I can see where the beautiful black anodization on the inner flange edge is worn at one sector of the inner disk (the disk faces up to the sealed bearing and performs a redundant mechanical seal). I'm going to sand it down a bit, grease the heck out of it, and reinstall. Then I'll ride...

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-01-19 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 03:12 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Phil expects you to orientate the hub so the name PHIL is readable from the riding position. This my not be important for their hubs but it is when installing their bottom bracket.
Old 10-01-19, 07:55 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
But it feels so good!

Through the Valve hole. :-)

EDIT: Image of hub label aligning procedure notes added

A friend described this easy way to line up the hub label with the valve hole.

Last edited by sweeks; 10-01-19 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 10-02-19, 05:38 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
it's a nice "style points" thing if you can do it. On a 36 spoke wheel you have a hub / rim alignment every 10 degrees.

on a 20 spoke wheel you have that alignment every 18 degrees so it may not be possible to get an exact line up. The lacing pattern should not have anything to do with it.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 10-02-19, 07:09 AM
REDMASTA

Originally Posted by mpetry912
it's a nice "style points" thing if you can do it. On a 36 spoke wheel you have a hub / rim alignment every 10 degrees.

on a 20 spoke wheel you have that alignment every 18 degrees so it may not be possible to get an exact line up. The lacing pattern should not have anything to do with it.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Thanks for this bit of info.
Old 10-02-19, 10:57 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I MUST forget this post! My mind is already obsessed with always having the tire label centered on the valve stem. Of course, now I will have to look and see if the hub label lines up..., if not the shame, the shame
Old 10-02-19, 11:05 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I MUST forget this post! My mind is already obsessed with always having the tire label centered on the valve stem. Of course, now I will have to look and see if the hub label lines up..., if not the shame, the shame
There's a separate and equally valid practice of placing the stem in the middle of the inflation information for easy reference...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.