Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this bike....worth it?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 07:48 PM
MarieEisley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been eyeing this white beach cruiser bike for sometime now:

https://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...ml/page64.html

and shamefully for aesthetic reasons; it's gorgeous. Wrong reason to want to splurge on a cycle, I know. But they are actually selling it for $350 at a local store.

I don't know a lot about bicycles and even less about beach cruisers, but the first thing that came to my mind was that from $750 to $350 and in addition to being new, this was indeed a deal. Only problems that I can think of are that

1 - No handbrakes, only coaster breaks. I want a handbrake as a backup because coaster breaks skid and aren't great in inclement weather or down hills.
2 - It's heavy. I'm 5'2'' and 115lbs. Enough said.
3 - I live in the New York City area, specifically the outer boroughs. Much safer here than in Manhattan, but enough said.

So this definitely means I have to purchase a bunch of locks for it and learn how to properly secure the bike. The thing is, I do not know if this bike is worth it mostly because I will only be using for riding around the neighborhood and maybe to school a couple times when the weather is great. Plus, I want some expert input on Worksman cycles and beach cruisers and their lack of caliper brakes. Please advise!

Last edited by MarieEisley; 04-16-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 08:05 PM
soyboy

Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i mean if you want a "beach cruiser" it's a nice one but it is heavy, you may want to check out some other options such as dutch city bikes, hybrids, mountain or road bikes, they all might be better suited to city needs if you're looking for something to commute on, if you look around the forums there are a lot of options and resources both single speed or otherwise, good luck
Old 04-16-11, 08:41 PM
pylea
cats cats cats

Bikes: unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No it's not even worth it for $350. In college had a vintage ~56cm ladies' road bike, it was so heavy that I could barely lift it five steps to get onto my porch. I ended up leaving it in my backyard when I moved out just cause it was not worth the inconvenience. I also had a cruiser, super heavy as well. Even riding it to class was a chore, especially with a heavy backpack, cause I'd get outstripped by pedestrians whenever I had to go up even a tiny incline. I haven't ridden that thing in years.

So yeah, don't spend any money on something big and clumsy. You'll regret it. Simple and lightweight is the way to go. If you are super set on a cruiser, however, you can find way cheaper ones. Browse CL. There are better looking cruisers out there too, the one you linked is hideous.