Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Here's an odd ball (bike computers, tire circumference and distances)...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Here's an odd ball (bike computers, tire circumference and distances)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 07:58 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude...you need a hobby. Trying riding a bike or something.
Old 10-22-13, 09:44 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
From the OPs measurement of the unloaded tire I would deduct 4 or 5 mm and another 2mm to account for wiggling.
There are a couple meeasured highway zones here where I verify my calculations. I certainly don't accept more than
10 feet off.

This year I had the misfortune of buying a Bontrager speedo. They were apparently designed by car users. Only has tenths of a mile on the day trip. That's a fricking 176 yards !!!! How the hell do you verify distance with that ??? Can't even see that far down the road. Besides that it seemed to be recording low all the time. One day I was running both at once, I had it doing kms and my Sigma doing miles as usual. The avg was way different. The Bontrager is unbelievably complicated to set up.
Old 10-23-13, 09:26 AM
stevnim

Bikes: 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker & 2014 Brompton M6R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at bicycle tire marks in the snow or after a rain or such, they are not a straight line. This means your distance made good does not equal distance travelled. The wiggle while riding can and does make a difference when compared to a "straight" line mileage.
Old 10-23-13, 10:21 AM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You do like digging holes!

A circumference is a property of a circle. There isn't any real circle in a loaded tire.

The tire (in use) is a circle with a flat area under the hub touching the ground. The circular tire is deformed in use (so it isn't a circle any more).

What you are measuring is the radius of an imaginary circle.
This is correct. And if you have a rear wheel sensor the difference between the loaded radius apparent circumference and unloaded measured circumference is significant. I calibrate my computers by riding a known distance, survey pins in the centers of two intersections exactly one mile apart (at least I did back when I cared more).
Old 10-23-13, 11:14 AM
dragoscscc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gentlemen and ladies,

Thanks for all the help, certainly a lot of info and knowledge to be gained.

I did a tire roll out measurement and then measured 3-4 revolutions and got a median out of those while I was in a normal riding position. The lucky number was 2125mm, smaller than Sheldon Brown suggestions (2155) and than my previous Google measurements (2132). Certainly a lot smaller than using masking tape around the tire and measuring that (2173)... I'll keep an eye on it and adjust it in the future if I deem necessary.

I feel as though allocating any more time to this issue would be a waste of time, besides I have to get back to life's previous engagements (such as doing the dishes).

All of you are more than welcome to keep the discussion going if you so decide, however I've found the answer to my original question.

Cheers and all the best
Be safe out there

D
Old 10-23-13, 04:16 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Google may measure from a flat projected map. This means that uphills and downhills will be shorter distances than actually measured on the road. In other words, they measure one side of the triangle and you are riding the other longer one.
Old 10-23-13, 05:54 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
Google may measure from a flat projected map. This means that uphills and downhills will be shorter distances than actually measured on the road. In other words, they measure one side of the triangle and you are riding the other longer one.
+1. GPS might also (largely) do the same.
Old 10-23-13, 06:03 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Wow, I don't know why anyone would go through some of the gyrations above. Back when I had a computer I just put a mark on the pavement, started with the valve over it, and rolled in a straight line, leaning a bit on the bars, until the valve was down again. Such a method should result in less than a 1% error even with inflation variation. There's absolutely no point in measuring by mile markers, as you don't know how accurately they were set in place. The computer on the other hand computes exactly the correct distance for the rollout provided to it.
Old 10-23-13, 07:09 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
There's absolutely no point in measuring by mile markers, as you don't know how accurately they were set in place.
+1 I've seen rather a lot of variation between adjacent "mile markers" when attempting to calibrate my car odometers years ago. The odometer distance would vary noticeable over successive 10 mile intervals. I did once calibrate a cyclometer over a TAC certified 10K running course and it agreed within about 10' over 6.21 miles so I was happy.
Old 10-24-13, 05:54 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 I've seen rather a lot of variation between adjacent "mile markers" when attempting to calibrate my car odometers years ago.
This is caused by a geophysical phenomenon known as "gravity waves". These below-the-surface waves concentrate gravity in some areas by pulling it from others. The effect on the mile markers is to reduce the distance between them in gravity dense areas and spread them apart in the other areas. Because the waves are dynamic, the inter-sign distances may change day to day.

An interesting statistic: Most Club Tombay members live in areas prone to gravity waves.

Last edited by Matariki; 10-24-13 at 05:59 PM.