Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Show Off your Track Training and Racing Bikes (2014+)

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Show Off your Track Training and Racing Bikes (2014+)

Old 07-19-15, 06:45 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Velcro attachment. Can be installed/removed with wheels on the bike.
Old 07-20-15, 12:03 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Velcro attachment. Can be installed/removed with wheels on the bike.
Nice.
Old 07-20-15, 12:23 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
[
Nice.

You might consider upgrading to Toshi or Kashimax straps. They are 2 layers of leather with a nylon layer in-between. The nylon keeps them from stretching. WELL worth the extra expense if you use toe straps. They last a very long time, too. The ones I've used last 2 seasons of regular training/racing use and I only replace them because they look dirty but they still work fine.

I've found no significant performance difference between single or double strap Toshi use. I'm a bigger (and stronger) than average guy and singles keep me in the pedals. But, I will admit that doubles do feel better.
Thanks Carelton.

Funny you should mention that, Toshi or Kashimax straps are on my upgrade list. Straps, saddle, chainrings and sprockets, and a really over the top chunk of stem. The saddle I already mentioned, Yobi custom chainrings, EAI Sunday sprockets; Superstar or gold, and Pro Track sprint stem if I can find it or then the road sprint or Zipp 145SL. And I have a 37cm 3T Scatto coming.

The wheel covers are nice, as Taras posted they are velcro and usually I have my race wheels in their wheel bags with covers on. When I show up for a race I put wheel on the bike, inflate to race pressure and leave the covers on. I warm up with a road bike, so only need to take covers off just before starting.

Last edited by Bulldogsprinter; 07-20-15 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Added scatto
Old 07-20-15, 12:44 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
Thanks Carelton.

Funny you should mention that, Toshi or Kashimax straps are on my upgrade list. Straps, saddle, chainrings and sprockets, and a really over the top chunk of stem. The saddle I already mentioned, Yobi custom chainrings, EAI Sunday sprockets; Superstar or gold, and Pro Track sprint stem if I can find it or then the road sprint or Zipp 145SL
EAI fancy sprockets aren't worth the extra money. I have a gold 14t and can't tell any difference. Bought it used. The only difference is that it's easy to find when I need a 14t

Be careful with the beefy carbon stems. I've heard that one generation of the Pro Vibe stem would not mate with Scattos. Something to think about if you plan to use Scattos down the line. But, if you switch from EC90s to Scattos, you'll likely have to change your stem anyway...so doesn't matter It seems that Thomson 4-bolt and 3T Arx are the reference stems it seems these days. I think Specialized stems deserve an honorable mention.
Old 07-20-15, 02:56 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EAI fancy sprockets aren't worth the extra money. I have a gold 14t and can't tell any difference. Bought it used. The only difference is that it's easy to find when I need a 14t

Be careful with the beefy carbon stems. I've heard that one generation of the Pro Vibe stem would not mate with Scattos. Something to think about if you plan to use Scattos down the line. But, if you switch from EC90s to Scattos, you'll likely have to change your stem anyway...so doesn't matter It seems that Thomson 4-bolt and 3T Arx are the reference stems it seems these days. I think Specialized stems deserve an honorable mention.
Good to know about the EAIs, what do you suggest? Have a scatto on the way, but not sure if I'll like it. Really like the Easton would like to test Alpina 33s too. Have Zipp SL Sprint stem on my road bike, as I don't race on the road anymore the 13cm stem might be perfect with the Scatto.. BTs long reach Scatto would have perfect reach but hard to get and probably expensive.
Old 07-20-15, 03:10 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
Good to know about the EAIs, what do you suggest? Have a scatto on the way, but not sure if I'll like it. Really like the Easton would like to test Alpina 33s too. Have Zipp SL Sprint stem on my road bike, as I don't race on the road anymore the 13cm stem might be perfect with the Scatto.. BTs long reach Scatto would have perfect reach but hard to get and probably expensive.
Cogs: Dura Ace or standard EAI.

I have (and love) EC90s as well as Scattos. The Scattos are 2cm shorter reach and 2cm shorter drop than the EC90s. So, you'd probably use a stem that is 2cm longer than the one you use with your EC90s and maybe angle it straight or downwards a bit. Just eyeballing, I'd say just go 2cm longer and remove the spacers from your current stem setup.

Use this calculator to be a bit more precise (adjust the numbers accordingly): Stem Chart
Old 07-20-15, 05:29 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have (and love) EC90s as well as Scattos. The Scattos are 2cm shorter reach and 2cm shorter drop than the EC90s. So, you'd probably use a stem that is 2cm longer than the one you use with your EC90s and maybe angle it straight or downwards a bit. Just eyeballing, I'd say just go 2cm longer and remove the spacers from your current stem setup.

That was my plan, 1-2cm longer stem and -10 to -12 degree stem and no spacers. Need to test different set ups when I get the bars.
Old 07-20-15, 05:08 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Nice.
If you can't get a hold of the Vittorias, Conti also makes a set, although they are fully enclosed/circular, so wheel removal from the frame is necessary for installation/removal.
Old 09-01-15, 10:33 AM
kevvwill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cogs: Dura Ace or standard EAI.

Use this calculator to be a bit more precise (adjust the numbers accordingly): Stem Chart
Couple of notes from an old coot:

-- Fairwheel Bikes did a stem test. The three stiffest stems were the (newer) Pro Vibe Sprint, the (older) Pro Vibe Track and the Thomson X4 (MTB variant). Nothing else was close. The Pro Vibe Sprint will work with Scattos, where the Pro Vibe Track wouldn't. I can, btw, vouch for the stiffness of the Pro Vibe Track stem. It's absurd. The Pro Vibe Sprint is just as stiff, so I will be tracking one down to run with my Scattos.

-- I LOVE the EAI gold cogs. I run them with Sugino Zen rings/Izumi Super V chain. For lack of a better descriptive the driveline is quieter, and feels like there is an extra layer of lube on things. Very nice. Worth the price over normal cogs? Depends on how you value money.

(Came across this thread because I am selling my Serenity and will (probably) get another Serenity. Want a taller head tube and to show less post, so will go from 57 to 60 if Serenity. The Fuji was on my list, but the one-bolt saddle cradle worried me, at 230 pounds/sprinter. Any further reports of its stiffness/stability under high-wattage efforts in the saddle, etc? I worry about saddle tilt and seatpost slippage due to the aero post height adjustment. I note they have raised the price $400 for 2016, which doesn't sit well with me.)

This is the outgoing Serenity. I will miss her.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
serenity.jpg (105.6 KB, 567 views)

Last edited by kevvwill; 09-01-15 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Adding image
Old 09-21-15, 02:24 AM
McRussellPants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevvwill
I worry about saddle tilt and seatpost slippage due to the aero post height adjustment. I note they have raised the price $400 for 2016, which doesn't sit well with me.)

I had some slippage problems when I first got mine, mostly from being afraid of the carbon. Once I peppered my angus and used my 1/4 drive ratchet on it instead of a multi allen key tool to tighten it down I haven't had a problem since. I'm not making huge power by any means, but its taken the abuse from Keirins at Alpenrose no problem now.

I've had more problems with my new TCX advanced seat post, carbon paste on the post, antiseize on the bolt, the thing was a mess for a while

Also, seconded about the EAI. I dunno if anyone could ever tell a difference between the EAI gold or superstar, but both of them run noticeably smoother than everything else. I've seen a few companies re-selling the DLC and WPC coatings for bike cogs and rings and their ad copy is the usual x watts over x time. Who knows, but those coatings do do wonders in transmission/diff internals for motorsports.
Old 09-21-15, 06:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

I missed this post:

-- Fairwheel Bikes did a stem test. The three stiffest stems were the (newer) Pro Vibe Sprint, the (older) Pro Vibe Track and the Thomson X4 (MTB variant). Nothing else was close. The Pro Vibe Sprint will work with Scattos, where the Pro Vibe Track wouldn't. I can, btw, vouch for the stiffness of the Pro Vibe Track stem. It's absurd. The Pro Vibe Sprint is just as stiff, so I will be tracking one down to run with my Scattos.

-- I LOVE the EAI gold cogs. I run them with Sugino Zen rings/Izumi Super V chain. For lack of a better descriptive the driveline is quieter, and feels like there is an extra layer of lube on things. Very nice. Worth the price over normal cogs? Depends on how you value money.

(Came across this thread because I am selling my Serenity and will (probably) get another Serenity. Want a taller head tube and to show less post, so will go from 57 to 60 if Serenity. The Fuji was on my list, but the one-bolt saddle cradle worried me, at 230 pounds/sprinter. Any further reports of its stiffness/stability under high-wattage efforts in the saddle, etc? I worry about saddle tilt and seatpost slippage due to the aero post height adjustment. I note they have raised the price $400 for 2016, which doesn't sit well with me.)

Yeah, I read that Fairwheel Bikes article: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews...g/stem-review/

I was really impressed by the performance of the 3T ARX stem in that review.

Post pics when you get your new bike built up!
Old 09-30-15, 08:53 AM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steerer tube makes for interesting fourth point of contact

Old 09-30-15, 09:22 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are they making a 60 frame yet? I reached out but didnt hear anything back, last I heard they were not making that big yet (same with dixie)
Old 09-30-15, 12:00 PM
kevvwill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Are they making a 60 frame yet? I reached out but didnt hear anything back, last I heard they were not making that big yet (same with dixie)
They do make a 60. At least they did when I got mine.
Old 09-30-15, 11:43 PM
Muddlfuc

Bikes: BMC RM01, Focus Izarco, Inexa track, KHS SS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really sad day,
SOME SICK FIRE TRUCK stole my baby,

I had just got the bars and rear wheel on saturday, and raced on them on tuesday night (won 2of 3 events in Cgrade in my first night in C)
Went to grab a celebratory Kabab on the way home and while i was in the shop some one cut the straps and stop both my bike and the GF's

Absolutly devastated

I was going to post a photo when i had the front wheel (and removed the knock off stickers from the rear)
but as she is now gone, here is the last photo

Attached Images
IMG_1566.jpg (96.0 KB, 538 views)
Old 10-01-15, 08:38 AM
tonski 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear man, that's definitely a sickie. Insurance going to cover?
Old 10-05-15, 02:19 AM
luucanthony

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

just waiting on a campy record crank to complete the S-Works

Last edited by luucanthony; 10-05-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-05-15, 10:25 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by luucanthony

just waiting on a campy record crank to complete the S-Works
The attachments didn't work.
Old 10-05-15, 10:51 AM
luucanthony

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fixed!
Old 10-05-15, 04:38 PM
Muddlfuc

Bikes: BMC RM01, Focus Izarco, Inexa track, KHS SS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonski
Sorry to hear man, that's definitely a sickie. Insurance going to cover?
Unfortunately we had moved to my folks place and we hadn't sorted out insurance and weren't covered by theirs.
Im totally gutted, though the local cycling community has be great, and both my partner and I have been lent track bikes to get us though the next few weeks. and are both back racing one week later.

BUT I'm not stoping for a kabab on the way home this time.
Old 10-07-15, 07:46 AM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My baby is always being added to. Have added a Vector S and a Navigator Disc recently.
Attached Images
ms9fRUV.jpg (100.7 KB, 306 views)
Old 10-07-15, 01:27 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
New training wheelset!

Attached Images
fatdaddys.jpg (101.3 KB, 513 views)
Old 10-08-15, 05:26 PM
tonski 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banchad
My baby is always being added to. Have added a Vector S and a Navigator Disc recently.
How do you like that Planet-X?

Here's another of the Ritte

Attached Images
ritte.jpg (99.4 KB, 525 views)
Old 10-08-15, 05:48 PM
tonski 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddlfuc
Unfortunately we had moved to my folks place and we hadn't sorted out insurance and weren't covered by theirs.
Im totally gutted, though the local cycling community has be great, and both my partner and I have been lent track bikes to get us though the next few weeks. and are both back racing one week later.

BUT I'm not stoping for a kabab on the way home this time.
Damn that's a bummer
Old 10-09-15, 01:32 AM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonski
How do you like that Planet-X?

Here's another of the Ritte

Its nice enough. Its not particularly stiff though. I'm no carleton but I can feel the frame twisting under me at full power. Your ritte is gorgeous!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.