Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Increasing VO2/FTP

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Increasing VO2/FTP

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 04:19 PM
Zachanonymous

Bikes: Motobecane USA - Mirage SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Increasing VO2/FTP

Generally from what I've read, HIIT training seems to be the trend at increasing your VO2 and FTP.

Does anyone have any input as far as how long the intervals should be?

What about percentage of FTP - One article I read said to do 2/3rds of a minute at 110% and 1/3 of a minute at 80-90%. Didn't mind it, but you're constantly shifting.
Another instructed 1-2 minutes at 150% with equal rest.
Are there a good set of rules to follow? Basically when the word HIIT comes to mind, which is more beneficial, 110% or 150%.
Old 01-08-17, 08:19 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Are you specifically trying to improve vo2 or FTP?

If the former, 25-30 mins of total work time divided up into sets of 4-6 mins with ~equal rest or slighly less at 115-118% of ftp are very effective.

If the latter, 30-60 mins of total work divided up into 15-30 min chunks at 88-105% ftp are wonderful (there's a big range of time and percentage you can use). 60-120 minutes of tempo ~80-85% ftp is also nice.
Old 01-08-17, 08:37 PM
Zachanonymous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think VO2 is more important, especially since I used to be a chronic smoker. But mostly because endurance will be limited to the amount of O2 you can utilize.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot, either tomorrow or the day after.
Old 01-09-17, 10:05 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Zachanonymous
I think VO2 is more important, especially since I used to be a chronic smoker. But mostly because endurance will be limited to the amount of O2 you can utilize.
You may want to check that assumption. It's true ultimately, VO2max will put an upper bound on aerobic performance, but your sustained aerobic power will be the product of VO2max and what fraction of that you can sustain for a long period. Depending on your current fitness and level of training, it's possible, if not likely, that training the latter will produce greater benefits.
Old 01-09-17, 01:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
The classic idea is to periodize training: start with base, move into tempo work, then into LT work, then into VO2max work. It's classic because it works.

CTS has pushed the intervals-all-the-time idea because you do get results quicker, but as asgelle says, the results are not as good.

A third way has become popular: polarized training which I've been doing the past couple years. In polarized, one does either z2 work or z5 work, nothing in between, the z5 work being 10%-20% of total time. I periodize that too, by starting with only z2 work for a few weeks before I start adding in high end work. I do more like 10% high end, while elites do 20%. OTOH my focus is on longer rides in the 3-10 hour category rather than crits which are more the focus of CTS time-crunched programs. Polarized z5 has been found to work best with 4 reps of 8 minutes.
Old 01-09-17, 01:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Zachanonymous
Generally from what I've read, HIIT training seems to be the trend at increasing your VO2 and FTP.

Does anyone have any input as far as how long the intervals should be?

What about percentage of FTP - One article I read said to do 2/3rds of a minute at 110% and 1/3 of a minute at 80-90%. Didn't mind it, but you're constantly shifting.
Another instructed 1-2 minutes at 150% with equal rest.
Are there a good set of rules to follow? Basically when the word HIIT comes to mind, which is more beneficial, 110% or 150%.
See Power Training Zones for Cycling | TrainingPeaks

The ones you listed are great workouts but neither is really targeting VO2max. The first is a classic FTP "over/under"; the second is an anaerobic capacity workout.

The classic VO2max workout is 3-8 min intervals at 106% to 120% FTP. One of my favorites is "3 plus 3's." Basically 3 minutes on (at 110-120%), 3 minutes off (easy spin to recover), and repeat. Early in the season, I will shoot for 4 sets and then build from there.
Old 01-10-17, 10:15 AM
absoludicrous

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No guessing needed, just ride to one of these:

Old 01-10-17, 12:23 PM
rubiksoval

The training peaks guys lean towards periodized over polarized. I also think polarized is a bit silly and quite misleading when touted as a good solution for a lot of people.

In any case, as mentioned, periodized just works. Start with tempo for 3-4 weeks and work on increasing the duration with maybe 1-2 vo2 max workouts every other week, then move to another 3-4 week block focusing on sweetspot and ftp (again, maybe a vo2 max workout every other week), then moving on 3-4 weeks of vo2 or shorter, sub 1 minute efforts where you're trying to increase the amount of reps you can do, etc.

It's nice, relatively simple, and saves the really heavy intensity for when you're ready to really start bashing the pedals the hardest.
Old 01-10-17, 05:13 PM
Zachanonymous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice,
Based on what you said, I'll probably make a few concessions here and there, based on my personal endurance level, and how I feel about my capabilities. Otherwise, without the input I wouldn't of been able to form some new idea's as far as workouts go. I do have to look up the major differences between periodized and polarized workouts. Although I think I get it.
Old 01-22-17, 10:02 PM
Eyedrop

Bikes: 1999 Trek 2000T 47cm, 2017 Ribble R872 Ultegra Di2 47cm, 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 15.5in

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think its important to mention that there is no magic threshold or v02 max workout. If you did the exact same Z5 workout every week, your progress will stall. Its important to alter the interval time or intensity each week. I like to do a steady build up of progressively more difficult workouts for 3 weeks, then take every 4th week easy by not riding much or doing any real workouts, but still staying active. Do hiking, play some basketball, ride bikes with your wife and kids, walk the dog for an hour, etc... That way my body can soak up all the benefits and heal itself for the next 3 week block.
Old 01-24-17, 12:36 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Are you specifically trying to improve vo2 or FTP?

If the former, 25-30 mins of total work time divided up into sets of 4-6 mins with ~equal rest or slighly less at 115-118% of ftp are very effective.

If the latter, 30-60 mins of total work divided up into 15-30 min chunks at 88-105% ftp are wonderful (there's a big range of time and percentage you can use). 60-120 minutes of tempo ~80-85% ftp is also nice.
Seems like the 30 seconds intervals with 15 sec rest time increases VO2 max power more thatn 4-5 min intervals. 10 week sturdy on trained athletes
Joe Friel - High-Intensity Interval Duration
I like to do 5-20 minutes 90% interval one day and either 30s-3minute VO2 another day with a day off between

Last edited by TexMac; 01-24-17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 05:24 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by TexMac
Seems like the 30 seconds intervals with 15 sec rest time increases VO2 max power more thatn 4-5 min intervals. 10 week sturdy on trained athletes
Joe Friel - High-Intensity Interval Duration
I like to do 5-20 minutes 90% interval one day and either 30s-3minute VO2 another day with a day off between
It's generally accepted that vo2 max isn't even reached until at least 2.5 mins into an effort, thus intervals should be a minimum of that to elicit the most amount of time possible at vo2max.

Just going 30s-3min at a time is going to leave so much down time that you're only going to be reaching vo2 max at the very end of each interval, and not maximizing the amount of time spent there.

But whatever works for you. Many ways to skin the cat. I like bang for the buck myself, though.
Old 01-25-17, 03:57 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
It's generally accepted that vo2 max isn't even reached until at least 2.5 mins into an effort, thus intervals should be a minimum of that to elicit the most amount of time possible at vo2max.

Just going 30s-3min at a time is going to leave so much down time that you're only going to be reaching vo2 max at the very end of each interval, and not maximizing the amount of time spent there.

But whatever works for you. Many ways to skin the cat. I like bang for the buck myself, though.
I don't disagree but this was a 10 week sturdy done on already fit cyclist.