Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Another dead in Richmond, B.C.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Another dead in Richmond, B.C.

Old 11-07-16, 12:01 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Can you give me a good link to your bicycle laws?
Motor Vehicle Act
Old 11-07-16, 12:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,396 Posts
I suspect that this may be a case of where normal sloppiness that rarely makes a difference did this time.

It's pretty common for drivers to cut sharp left turns. Double lines don't change habits, so while whoever crossed the center line is responsible, what's done is done, and will be sorted out in the courts.

However, people should think about the future. Possibly some of the bend can be straightened out, a least on one side, or maybe they can add a stop sign right at the bend to slow people enough that they square the corner properly.

IMO - an effective solution could be implemented for a reasonable cost by placing breakaway traffic delineators down the center line at the bend. These will force traffic to respect the center line, and reduce the chances of collisions significantly. Odds are that breakaway is necessary because a permanent divider may make it impossible for fire trucks to pass.

Again, condolences to the family, and let's challenge the locals to find ways to prevent a repeat.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-07-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 12:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

2nd thoughts about causation and contributory factors. What follows may upset some, and I've no interest in fighting over it, nor assigning "blame" here, but there is a bit of a cautionary tale for cyclists.

I live by "there are no rules, everything is a situation" so with that in mind, consider the riders riding in close order, possible double file. I'm not interested in what the law is, but am in what makes sense, and how poor decisions make bad situations worse.

IME (experience = 50+ years of active rad cycling) close order riding is more suited to closed circuits where there's low risk of surprises. But even with pro riders on closed circuits, we still see multiple rider pileups when there's a "surprise" like a traffic island.

In the real world there are far too many surprises for close order riding, and this event shows how it can multiply the tragedy.

A single rider, might have been able to cut to the inside corner and possibly dodge the car, or at least changed a head on to a glancing impact, with possibly reduced consequences. We'll never know that, and even if true, that doesn't excuse the driver (if he crossed the center line). However one thing we do know is that the close formation reduced or eliminated the chance of the outer rider(s) moving to avoid the collision, and converted what would have been a single bike crash to a multiple one.

DO not read this as "do not ride in close formation". The increased risk shouldn't imply that it should never be done, but as I said, there are situations, and close order riding should be limited to open roads with few intersections and low potential for surprises. IMO riding close order in that spot on that road was foolish. It didn't cause the collision, but for most of the riders, made a significant difference in the outcome.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-07-16 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 12:35 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO - an effective solution could be implemented for a reasonable cost by placing breakaway traffic delineators down the center line at the bend. These will force traffic to respect the center line, and reduce the chances of collisions significantly. Odds are that breakaway is necessary because a permanent divider may make it impossible for fire trucks to pass.
I had the same thoughts exactly.
Old 11-07-16, 12:40 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY;19175384IMO - an effective solution could be implemented for a reasonable cost by placing [B
breakaway traffic delineators[/B] down the center line at the bend. These will force traffic to respect the center line, and reduce the chances of collisions significantly. Odds are that breakaway is necessary because a permanent divider may make it impossible for fire trucks to pass.

Again, condolences to the family, and let's challenge the locals to find ways to prevent a repeat.
Something along this line would be a good idea. For the time being my solution to people cutting corners, especially when I'm on the bike, is to be hyper vigilant on such corners. A year ago, or so, one local town cut rumble strips at the side of a two lane road that had no shoulder. This put cyclists further out into the lane. Our club contacted the highway to point out that was unsafe for cyclists. A month later, the rumble strip divits had been filled in and rumble strips cut into the center of the road between lanes. Evidently, rumble strips are easy to produce on existing roadways so this may be a solution to the problem of cutting corners.
Old 11-07-16, 01:36 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
TV report, look particularly at 0:24 seconds. (Telephoto lens from where the police closed the road. At 0:40 second you can see where the photographer setup, then cut to another zoom at 0:44)

Note the 7666 sign on the utility pole, and note the 7666 sign at 0:24 and 0:44 above.

View from where the photographer setup.

Where the driver of the SUV stopped.

It's possible that the crash took place about 100 meters away from where many folks think it happened.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-07-16 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 02:39 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Yeah it's possible the curve had nothing to do with it and the driver was either passing another cyclist or looking at his phone, or perhaps floored it and fishtailed. Who knows.

[edit] I think you're right - I looked up the resident's 411 entry and it is five houses west of the curve.

Last edited by Mr. Hairy Legs; 11-07-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 03:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
You're missing the point here... the cop (and myself) are talking about ways to reduce risk on the road, not about who was right or wrong or deserving of all the blame. We don't have the specific details, but if the assumptions are correct, the driver broke the law by cutting across the double yellow line, and the cyclists also broke the law by riding two abreast. Nobody follows any rules here really.
Why is there even an ASSUMPTION that the cyclist were riding double. Did the cyclist not have full use of the lane? Was a cyclist in the center of the lane riding single fill to avoid debris? Is it even illegal to ride double, since it seems no motorist were behind the cyclist?

The cops and your assumptions wrongly imply blame on the cyclist. Cyclist really do not need such assumption advice fro the cop and you.

Seems like making such assumptions is a psycho way of making yourself feel safe riding by claiming the other cyclist ride in a way you thing is wrong and dangerous, so the way you ride helps you feel warm and fuzzy.
Old 11-07-16, 04:09 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Why is there even an ASSUMPTION that the cyclist were riding double. Did the cyclist not have full use of the lane?
Single, double or triple is a red herring in this case if they were on their side of the yellow line. It's possible they crossed the double line but very unlikely as there is no reason for them to do so and cyclists tend not to get distracted and drift from one lane to the other.

This location is not where I thought it was and although the tele-photo shots make it look like a corner is really just a slight curve in the road. I'll be curious to see the results of the investigation but it appears the driver drifted into the wrong lane.

Regarding riding two-up on River Rd, I would say it is generally safer to ride two-up (notwithstanding regulations . It's a narrow road with no shoulder so riding single often provides the invitation for vehicles to attempt an unsafe pass. Two-up forces the vehicles to wait until the road is clear before passing. That section of road has been extremely popular with cyclists for many years and fortunately incidents like this are relatively rare.
Old 11-07-16, 04:11 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Did you look at the WHOLE video??? Right THERE was a pack of 12 riders 3 or 4 abreast. How the hell does a following car see around ??? Going all the way to the center lines is stupid, for sure.

Looks like the car hit them head on to me, nasty. The 5 bikes in the truck were all metal I believe. Poor road for short cutting cars. RIP
Old 11-07-16, 04:16 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the local crooks (government) should be begged into having the curve re-engineered for safety; muh roads!!!!
Old 11-07-16, 05:09 PM
FBinNY 

The ONLY causative factor is who crossed the center line and was on the wrong side of the road.

If riding abreast were an issue, we'd have a scenario where the outermost (nearest to centerline) rider(s) were struck, while those to the right weren't. Also the car would only have been damaged in the front left corner.

From the description, and photos, it appears that the there was near full overlap of the car and riders, so either the car was well across the centerline, or all the riders were (which seems very unlikely). Riding abreast doesn't magically lure drivers across the line, so should not be considered as a factor.

As far as I've concerned, the riders could have been riding shoulder to shoulder 6 abreast across their full lane and it still wouldn't matter as far as responsibility for causing the crash is concerned. So, the how many abreast argument is a strawman, and hopefully the police and courts will reject it as such.

Old 11-07-16, 05:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Sounds like the local crooks (government) should be begged into having the curve re-engineered for safety; muh roads!!!!

And how many millions more to do that versus putting up a few blunt signs that say single file or you'll get killed?

I could swear Canadians are more to the point than us.

You may still believe that they print pictures of the Queen with numbers on paper with impunity and everyone in BC is much richer than they are.

It's a beautiful place, that's why it's on the license plates but please.
Old 11-07-16, 05:43 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Rollfast
And how many millions more to do that versus putting up a few blunt signs that say single file or you'll get killed?
There's no evidence that riding single file would have prevented the crash. The most that can be inferred is that riding single file MIGHT have reduced the number of riders involved.

I don't know about Canada, but here in the USA a large percentage, if not a majority, of riders killed in traffic events are riding solo, so unless shadows count, there's little reason to look at riding abreast as a meaningful factor.

Old 11-07-16, 05:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Unless it has been stated that going around that corner is a blind spot. If you have two lanes, somebody should be in one lane going in one direction and ditto for the other side.

Somebody didn't do that. Maybe the car took that curve too fast and went wide. Staying single file would put them over there, not closer to here.

Other than an English tutorial, it's awfully obvious.

Academic like a retired teacher now though.
Old 11-07-16, 07:58 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
There's no evidence that riding single file would have prevented the crash. The most that can be inferred is that riding single file MIGHT have reduced the number of riders involved.

I don't know about Canada, but here in the USA a large percentage, if not a majority, of riders killed in traffic events are riding solo, so unless shadows count, there's little reason to look at riding abreast as a meaningful factor.
A number of years ago in Quebec, Canada a motorist on a long stretch or straight road plowed into the rear of a group of bicyclists and killed some of them. This was in broad daylight and in good weather. Turns out the driver had worked a double shift, set the vehicle on cruise control and fell asleep at the wheel.

These days a bicyclist has to be vigilant at all times because there are so many in car distractions, such as cell phones, fatigue issues of drivers and just plain impatience or rage of drivers. It's why i like a Takealook mirror on my glasses so I can keep an eye on what's going on behind me as well as what's ahead. Sometimes though Lady Luck abandons a bicyclist (or other driver) and they get hit by another poor driver.

Cheers
Old 11-07-16, 08:05 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Where I live there's a narrow winding and hilly road that leads out into the country. A number of years ago the city wanted to improve that road by taking out a couple of blind corners and lowering the steepness of at least one hill plus adding an area to the side of the road so there would be a shoulder. There was only a guardrail right beside the paved lane on one side of the road. Well what happened? The wealthy people in the area got together and launched a huge protest that put a stop to every recommended improvement of that road. that despite the city lawyers telling the city that because the road does NOT meet Provincial standards and thus is deemed unsafe and the city knows this, that the city and the council could be sued if.when there's a bad accident on that road. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get something done.

Cheers
Old 11-07-16, 08:06 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Originally Posted by CB HI
Is it even illegal to ride double
Yes, as previously mentioned.
Old 11-07-16, 08:20 PM
Cipo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an account of what happened from one of the injured cyclists. It was passed along by the cyclist's employer with permission to circulate:

His recollection of the accident is surprisingly detailed. He was second in a single-file line of six cyclists. They were headed east on River Road just before the right hand corner onto Westminster Hwy. The motorist came from the west at high speed, crossing over to the cyclists’ side of the road. He hit all six of the riders. The first rider was able to move slightly to his right and glanced off. John was second and went into the bumper, then the windshield, then over the top. Two of the riders behind John were struck, one was killed and the other severely injured. The driver never slowed down, nor veered to his right. That stretch of road is very popular with cyclists and is known for having large pelotons on the weekends.
Old 11-07-16, 08:26 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Cipo
Here is an account of what happened from one of the injured cyclists. It was passed along by the cyclist's employer with permission to circulate:
The account seems plausible enough except for a detail. If the riders were headed East, and the driver came from the West, then he was behind them.

However, it seems clear that the rider was talking about a head-on, so I assume he got messed up with the came from/headed to directions involved.

I am curious on one point, and maybe a local can explain.

Is blood testing (alcohol and/or drugs) mandatory after collisions with fatalities? That might help explain WHY it happened. But if the evidence clearly shows the car driving on the wrong side of the road, we know HOW it happened.

--------------------

BTW - this kind of post traumatic confusion can come back to bite you, which is one reason not to "remember" what happened until your head is fully cleared. It's also one reason, not to report your version of events on a public forum.

If Cipo wants to delete his post, I'll follow by deleting mine.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-07-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 08:47 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Did you look at the WHOLE video??? Right THERE was a pack of 12 riders 3 or 4 abreast. How the hell does a following car see around ??? Going all the way to the center lines is stupid, for sure.

Looks like the car hit them head on to me, nasty. The 5 bikes in the truck were all metal I believe. Poor road for short cutting cars. RIP
That is just plain stupid. Because the same could be said about being behind a 18-wheeler. Yes, There were 3-4 abreast. But the oncoming traffic was still visible. They also were not using the whole road, just the lane.
Old 11-07-16, 08:53 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Originally Posted by Cipo
Interesting. Almost sounds like a crime of passion.
Old 11-07-16, 09:06 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The account seems plausible enough except for a detail. If the riders were headed East, and the driver came from the West, then he was behind them.

However, it seems clear that the rider was talking about a head-on, so I assume he got messed up with the came from/headed to directions involved.

I am curious on one point, and maybe a local can explain.

Is blood testing (alcohol and/or drugs) mandatory after collisions with fatalities? That might help explain WHY it happened. But if the evidence clearly shows the car driving on the wrong side of the road, we know HOW it happened.

--------------------

BTW - this kind of post traumatic confusion can come back to bite you, which is one reason not to "remember" what happened until your head is fully cleared. It's also one reason, not to report your version of events on a public forum.

If Cipo wants to delete his post, I'll follow by deleting mine.
i don't know if it's mandatory for a blood test but they can certainly do a breathalyzer. It was 10 in the morning though so I'd be a little surprised if alcohol was a factor. It does seem awfully strange. Just rode past the site 20 min ago and I have to admit I was looking over my shoulder more often than normal.
Old 11-07-16, 09:11 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by gregf83
i don't know if it's mandatory for a blood test but they can certainly do a breathalyzer. ....
Breathalyzers aren't enough these days. With more and more drugs in use, including both legal and illegal, post accident blood panels need to become SOP whenever there's a serious injury or fatality.

(sorry for the soapbox speech, short as it was).

Old 11-07-16, 10:15 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
So the cyclist were riding single file, yet the motorist managed to hit all the cyclist.

So Mr. Hairy Legs wrongly blamed the victims to try and advance his own agenda.

What will Mr. Hairy Legs try to blame the victims with now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.