Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Tubulars revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 05:00 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubulars revisited

Yes, I know there is already a sticky about track tires, but some of the post are many years old, some of the tires discussed are no longer available or the names have changed. So, here are the criteria. A tire that will be used on outdoor concrete tracks (Brian Piccolo in Ft Lauderdale, 333 m, and Rock Hill, SC, 250 m). These will be used for racing ( mostly local club stuff with a trip to Nationals) with just a few laps turned in practice to make sure they are glued properly, like the feel of them, etc....I have a set of clincher training wheels. I'm a bigger guy in the 220 lb range and do sprints and 500m. Would like to stay away from cotton sidewall tires. I'm not brand loyal, just looking for a good tire that is not too fragile, has good grip, low rolling resistance and in the 22-23 cm width.
Old 04-29-17, 06:52 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
race day only? Sonderklasse - Sprinter 250's for everything else. (although the last pair I bought was the Competition series - also a good choice for race day )

--- keep in mind that tire choice is almost as personal a thing as saddle choice though
Old 04-29-17, 08:09 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
race day only? Sonderklasse - Sprinter 250's for everything else. (although the last pair I bought was the Competition series - also a good choice for race day )
Yes, as I said, pretty much race day only with a few practice laps before hand to make sure everything is set up and working properly. I believe the Sonderklasse is a cotton sidewall tire and I heard people shredded a few of them in short order at Rock Hill for Nationals a few years ago, so those are off the list.
Old 04-29-17, 08:28 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I really like Continental Stehers, and Tempo IIs.

I can't keep track of how Conti have changed the models, but the Stehers have always been tough, grippy, and quick-rolling - I used 'em on wood and concrete, training and racing, and never found them lacking. Tempos seem a little nicer. I'd avoid Sprinters like the plague.
Old 04-29-17, 08:57 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
I really like Continental Stehers, and Tempo IIs.

I can't keep track of how Conti have changed the models, but the Stehers have always been tough, grippy, and quick-rolling - I used 'em on wood and concrete, training and racing, and never found them lacking. Tempos seem a little nicer. I'd avoid Sprinters like the plague.
Sprinters are a training tire ------ same as always

The Stehers are nice "rough use" tires but I always thought they were overkill ---- How rough is RockHill anyway? (never ridden there) --- in the past I've used Sonderklasse's to good effect at COS and Alkek ---- I cant think of a rougher track than Alkek circa' 1999-2002 or so

My thoughts on "race day" tires for a big event (Nationals, Worlds, etc. -- not local Friday night stuff) ---- after all the cash spent on travel, hotels, gym memberships, protein powder, days off from work possibly , leg waxing and eyebrow plucking,etc. ------ $250 for a set of tires hardly dings the cash register
Old 04-29-17, 10:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
Yes, I know there is already a sticky about track tires...
Then use it

The most active thread in this forum goes back to 2013 and it was updated 3 days ago.

Old threads are a good thing. Just add your questions to the end of it. We'll see it. What's more, if people are subscribed to receive email updates from the thread, your questions will go straight to their inbox.

Last edited by carleton; 04-29-17 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 06:22 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I don't understand why cotton sidewalls should be a consideration. If you're actually riding on the sidewall, you're riding on a badly glued tubular or one with shoulders that are too narrow for your track. I don't know of any keirin tires without cotton sidewalls, and those tracks are like sandpaper -- you can race on them in the rain.
Old 05-01-17, 11:34 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
I don't understand why cotton sidewalls should be a consideration. If you're actually riding on the sidewall, you're riding on a badly glued tubular or one with shoulders that are too narrow for your track. I don't know of any keirin tires without cotton sidewalls, and those tracks are like sandpaper -- you can race on them in the rain.

I have raced at Rock Hill and I can tell you that Vittoria Pista CS Evo (I think that is what they are called, it's such a long name I forget) work just fine. They also work fine at Colorado Springs, although it's good to let some air out so you don't "catch air" on the bumps. Can't say anything for any of the other concrete tracks, but Conti Steher and Tempos seem to work nicely. However, they are a pain to mount.