Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is "old School"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is "old School"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 06:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
What is "old School"?

A newb mentioned old skool in introductions and got me thinking (always dangerous).

I considered starting a survey asking about how long folks were cycling, but decided it missed the point. After all there's cycling and there's cycling, and it's hard to lump someone commuting for 40 years with a weekend warrior or a tourist, or someone who rode for low key fun on weekends for half a century.

So, What is "old school" and what qualifies one as a graduate?

Is it about miles, years, some combination of the two? Maybe there's some cut off, ie. pre index, or post index. Or is it a state of mind, ie. is there some "old school" mental stare or attitude we can point to. Or maybe, like myself you started before it was trendy, and still carry those "outcast" or "oddball" attitudes?

So, no value judgements, but a simple question. Are you old school, and what makes you so.

BTW- I consider myself old school, since I still carry my attitudes about bicycling dating from the sixties. (ride mostly alone or small groups of friends, no helmet, don't consider myself a "member" of any identity group, etc. That's my story and I'll stick to it, what's yours?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-08-17 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 07:08 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Old School?

Ive been riding mountain bikes for 28 years -- before the advent of disc brakes and suspension -

In the mid 90's as a 20 something, I was an "old soul" before that term had even been invented -- Oh, I had a new bike sure , but in the days of aluminum 18 pound Cannondales, I rode a new steel DeBErnardi .
I was so disenchanted with the shifting of the Campy Veloce group on it, I removed the shifting mechanism from the brifter levers (I loved the lever shape ) and installed downtube friction shifters
so deep into the brifter age, I preferred lugged steel and downtube shifting

I still prefer tubulars on my nice bikes

- While I am totally modern on the MTB's now, I still prefer to ride vintage steel - not really brand specific but I like Italian stuff --

I'm not too different from a lot of the other folks in the classic/vintage section ---
Old 10-08-17, 07:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by DMC707
Old School?

Ive been riding mountain bikes for 28 years -- before the advent of disc brakes and suspension -

.....I still prefer tubulars on my nice bikes.....

-
IMO - this alone makes you old school.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-08-17, 07:23 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
My first coach raced on the board tracks pre-WWII.
The fundamentals of technique, training and mindset that he passed on to me nearly 50 years ago are still in use today on every ride.
I am Old School, with a post graduate degree.

-Bandera
Old 10-08-17, 07:25 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
I propose that anyone who is still using a lever-operated front derailleur for his or her rides is old school.
Old 10-08-17, 07:38 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
"Fine line between old school and curmudgeon".
Old 10-08-17, 07:41 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Always a possibility, but not automatic. I know many curmudgeonly folks who are definitely NOT old school by any measure.

Old 10-08-17, 08:00 PM
VRC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
White socks.
Old 10-08-17, 08:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I bought my first adult bike in 1972, and my first really great bike a year later. I don't consider myself to be "old school", I tend to embrace much new technology and I am always looking around for new stuff. My current road bikes are a few years old, but I do not think of them as being out of date except that they are 10 speed rather than the current 11 speed standard. My next road bike will have disc brakes and whatever number of speeds that are available when I buy it. I ride on road tubeless tires and think they are great. I have a good friend who talks endlessly about how he is old school. I think he is a bore and just too lazy to keep up to date.
Old 10-08-17, 08:23 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Old school is the era in which you were teenager, so for me it'd be the 80's. That's old school. I bought my 6-speed Gardin Quatro back in the mid-eighties. I remember the ill-fitting spandex shorts and uncomfortable, itchy jersey, lace-up shoes with toe clips. Come to think of it, nothing fit very well on me back then, nor very comfortable. Maybe that's old school.
Old 10-08-17, 08:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Old School - the one that burned down before the current one.
Old 10-08-17, 09:08 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I'm old (62) and I'm old school. I ride an old school bike ('84 Peugeot) that I bought new, still use dt friction shifters, wear DETTO cycling shoes and a checker board PEUGEOT jersey and use toe cages and rat trap pedais and a PROFILE aero bar. THAT, mes amis, is old school. If you use Velo Retro's definition of old school, it's any thing pre '85, i.e. no carbon, click shift, brifters or clipless pedals.
Jon
Old 10-08-17, 09:15 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um, I guess old school. When I was young and practically lived on my bike, it was long before there was any thought to things like helmets. Now that I own a bike again, all this newfangled stuff confuses me.
Old 10-08-17, 09:20 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
"Old School" to me is more about how one approaches a sport and frame of mind, not so much how long one has been in the sport. "Old School" means you approach the sport straight-up, no BS, no whining, no excuses, no complaining, no arguing, no cheating, and most of all, you live for the sport; not because it's cool but because you love it.

To me the equipment is irrelevant. A rider could ride a $12,000 dollar carbon dream bike and still be considered Old School if the rider approached cycling in the manner I described.

The opposite of old school is an athlete who is wishy-washy, yacks all the time, whines, makes excuses for poor performance, complains, argues, tries to cheat the "system" and rides because he can show off his cool equipment. In other words, a Poser.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 10-08-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 09:22 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I dunno about ol skool but I do remember chopping the forks off a donor bike and jamming them onto the forks of my CCM Mustang to make me a chopper.
Old 10-08-17, 09:28 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by drlogik
"old school" to me is more about how one approaches a sport and frame of mind, not so much how long one has been in the sport. "old school" means you approach the sport straight-up, no bs, no whining, no excuses, no complaining, no arguing, no cheating, and most of all, you live for the sport; not because it's cool but because you love it......
+1

Old 10-08-17, 09:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view, it's an attitude that there's value in historical knowledge and techniques. It's respect for the old masters. It also suggests a long term commitment to a discipline.

At the same time, claiming "old school" status could simply be an expression of every generation's tendency to stereotype the younger generation as weak and lazy.
Old 10-08-17, 09:30 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I dunno about ol skool but I do remember chopping the forks off a donor bike and jamming them onto the forks of my CCM Mustang to make me a chopper.
Anyone who pluralizes forks when talking about one isn't old school.

Old 10-08-17, 09:37 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
"Old School" to me is more about how one approaches a sport and frame of mind, not so much how long one has been in the sport. "Old School" means you approach the sport straight-up, no BS, no whining, no excuses, no complaining, no arguing, no cheating, and most of all, you live for the sport; not because it's cool but because you love it.

To me the equipment is irrelevant. A rider could ride a $12,000 dollar carbon dream bike and still be considered Old School if the rider approached cycling in the manner I described.

The opposite of old school is an athlete who is wishy-washy, yacks all the time, whines, makes excuses for poor performance, complains, argues, tries to cheat the "system" and rides because he can show off his cool equipment. In other words, a Poser.

-

I like your definition(s) above for approaches to sport, but what about for just approaches to cycling as a hobby/past time/commuting?
Old 10-08-17, 09:38 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO - this alone makes you old school.
-- this actually is flattering

Originally Posted by Bandera
My first coach raced on the board tracks pre-WWII.
The fundamentals of technique, training and mindset that he passed on to me nearly 50 years ago are still in use today on every ride.
I am Old School, with a post graduate degree.

-Bandera
I love the beauty and simplicity of track racing (which is really not simple at all ) --- the pic I am posting below I hope meets the criteria of "old school but with a post grad degree" as well

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I like this quote -- I feel like I am straddling it well ---I love tinkering with and riding my older road machinery , to me, road frame evolution stopped almost after my SLX DeRosa left the factory- I cant even describe how many more smiles per ride I get vs my carbon fibre Cannondale ---

Buuut I still have Masters level racing and fitness aspirations - I'm too old and too out of shape to leave any performance on the table on the rare occasion I can get to the boards ---

- This is the custom trackie I have in the works ----- Its traditional steel, but its oversize - very oversize , and has a tapered headtube --- but check the stylized seat cluster lug ! I know the rest is TIG'd, but there is sheer beauty in this particular builder's stack of dimes welds

-- its at the painters now, but the paint scheme is going to tick off some vintage style points I hope as well ! --- Its replacing my lugged steel 753 Waterford trackie, - I never felt like it held me back at all for most uses, but I could detect bottom bracket flex and a little bit of shimmy during hard efforts from the steering stem/ fork area with al types of wheelsets used ( ive tried enough to eliminate a flimsy front wheel from the equation) ---

-- Bike will wear tubulars and a Turbo saddle naturally

Last edited by DMC707; 10-08-17 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 09:47 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Col. Sanders,

Old School absolutely can apply to cycling as a hobby, past-time or commute. That same approach/frame-of-mind to cycling applies to however you participate in cycling.
Old 10-08-17, 09:49 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by DMC707
-- this actually is flattering .....

- This is the custom trackie I have in the works ----- Its traditional steel, but its oversize - very oversize , and has a tapered headtube --- but check the stylized seat cluster lug ! I know the rest is TIG'd, but there is sheer beauty in this particular builder's stack of dimes welds ...
-- Bike will wear tubulars and a Turbo saddle naturally...
If that frame has a sloping top tube, I might have to reconsider my compliment.

Old 10-08-17, 10:05 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I have a good friend who talks endlessly about how he is old school. I think he is a bore and just too lazy to keep up to date.
In my eyes -- being "Old School" is a choice and I'm darn proud when I take my turn at the front on my 25 year old (or more) machinery

But --- When your on the flats and cooking along in a group at 28 mph , no one cares whether you are old school or not anymore -- the law of the jungle applies then .

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
In my view, it's an attitude that there's value in historical knowledge and techniques. It's respect for the old masters. It also suggests a long term commitment to a discipline.

At the same time, claiming "old school" status could simply be an expression of every generation's tendency to stereotype the younger generation as weak and lazy.
I like the first sentence ! 2nd sentence has some truth too - and in the cycling world, its rough to have to give it up to younger guys who we may look at as "dorky" or disillusioned -- but when they outperform us -- we gotta say, "Good luck young people- just wait 20 years " -- LOL
Old 10-08-17, 10:22 PM
DMC707

If that frame has a sloping top tube, I might have to reconsider my compliment.
It is - actually , This is my rendition of a "chubby guy track frame" --- The angles are the same as my lugged Waterford - why mess with success -- but, --

I thought if we were going custom, why not just use a longer headtube rather than a stack of headset spacers --
and to put it in perspective, this is a small to medium size bike to start with -- I ride a 53 or 54 road bike so this trackie has a 53 virtual seat tube and a 55 virtual top tube , but the headtube is more in line with what youd find on a 57 or so
--- My thoughts were the sloping top tube would visually diminish the effects of the long head tube and bring a little more balanced look

-- Its gonna be fun I think ! Being a custom project - I guess you never know until its done - but you have to have faith sometimes
Old 10-08-17, 10:27 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Anyone who pluralizes forks when talking about one isn't old school.
Well well... did you put on a pair of denim pant this morning?

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-08-17 at 10:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.