Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New. Old south Florida rider

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 01:30 AM
Wobblewheel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi guys n gals old school rider new to forum. Been riding for over 50 years from montreal....lived and rode in boston, austin, upstate new york and love all types of bikes. Like to have a couple of different types to ride both trails and road. While in college living in austin, i was fit enough to ride with fast club riders. Now after 30 plus years of life with a 60 year old beat up body with tendon injuries and arthritis... Im content to enjoy riding with just a little suffering, nothing hard core.
Just got back into riding after having a mild wake up stroke, probably due to diet and 5 or so years not riding my vintage agressive body position bikes.
Live in south florida near markham park and got a single speed rigid all road type bike to get back into riding again. Amazing to ride a bike with an upright posture that allows me to ride without pain, im enjoying that next day soreness and look forward to developing an efficient pedal stroke-spin and building a base.
I got lucky and found an all city junk yard dog, single speed bike n got bontrager dt swiss wheels with gravel king 29er x 50 all road tires.
Its got a sram xo cf crank with a wolf oval 34 chain ring and a wolf 16 tooth sproket in the rear. So far i found a set of mild riser mtn bike bars and am trying platform pedals with no clips. To clip or not to clip...i wanna see what my knees think first. Anyway so far im loving life back riding again, no injuries and i feel foolish for stopping. Imma make sure i set up a bicycle cookie jar for some new shoes, shorts, new helmet...i d like to do a keys ride n overnight campout. This weekend a coldfront is coming thru s florida i hope it gets into the 60s, im ready for cool air...Fyi, its so damn hot here in the summer, its like winter where you want to stay in the ac.
Peace out.
Old 11-16-19, 03:18 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Wobblewheel
Hi guys n gals old school rider new to forum. Been riding for over 50 years from montreal....lived and rode in boston, austin, upstate new york and love all types of bikes. Like to have a couple of different types to ride both trails and road. While in college living in austin, i was fit enough to ride with fast club riders. Now after 30 plus years of life with a 60 year old beat up body with tendon injuries and arthritis... Im content to enjoy riding with just a little suffering, nothing hard core.
Just got back into riding after having a mild wake up stroke, probably due to diet and 5 or so years not riding my vintage agressive body position bikes.
Live in south florida near markham park and got a single speed rigid all road type bike to get back into riding again. Amazing to ride a bike with an upright posture that allows me to ride without pain, im enjoying that next day soreness and look forward to developing an efficient pedal stroke-spin and building a base.
I got lucky and found an all city junk yard dog, single speed bike n got bontrager dt swiss wheels with gravel king 29er x 50 all road tires.
Its got a sram xo cf crank with a wolf oval 34 chain ring and a wolf 16 tooth sproket in the rear. So far i found a set of mild riser mtn bike bars and am trying platform pedals with no clips. To clip or not to clip...i wanna see what my knees think first. Anyway so far im loving life back riding again, no injuries and i feel foolish for stopping. Imma make sure i set up a bicycle cookie jar for some new shoes, shorts, new helmet...i d like to do a keys ride n overnight campout. This weekend a coldfront is coming thru s florida i hope it gets into the 60s, im ready for cool air...Fyi, its so damn hot here in the summer, its like winter where you want to stay in the ac.
Peace out.
First, you moved to south Florida so you could experience cold weather? In the winter, south Florida has the best weather in the nation. And second, if you're "old and beat up at 60" you weren't doing it right. Nowadays, there are many things you can do to maintain better health and even reverse the signs of aging.

Just resolve today to take better care of yourself in the future than you have done in the past. Hopefully, your decision to cycling will begin your journey to many more steps in that direction. In the mean time, allow me to be the first to welcome you to the bike forum.
Old 11-16-19, 06:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Wobblewheel
Hi guys n gals old school rider new to forum
welcome! enjoy!
Old 11-16-19, 11:07 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Glad to see you on BF. Enjoy and be safe out there.
Old 11-19-19, 04:02 AM
Vintavelo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Upstate - Rochester?

Welcome from Seattle
Old 11-19-19, 06:32 AM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome from the north end of Palm Beach county
Old 11-19-19, 07:02 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Welcome from the panhandle. Where it's hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. I lived in Austin for a time in the late 70s, so we may have been there at the same time. Had a lot of fun from what I can remember.
Old 11-19-19, 11:01 AM
Wobblewheel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the welcoming remarks

Thanks guys...I rode in Ithaca while attending Cornell before transferring to UT Austin 78' to 82' which was less than 1/2 the tuition. When registering for class in the "Drum" a large stadium as 48,000 students attended I ran into my downstairs neighbor from Florida.
Austin had a thriving music and social scene...Liberty Lunch, Armadillo World headquarters, Steamboat 1864....great blues n jazz, rockabilly, ...I rode everywhere and cemented my love for riding... Had a black n yellow marinoni built with sl mains and 531 rears with super record and also had an Albert Eisentraut frame and a Tom Kellogg frame...back in the day we built social networks and would buy n sell bikes n frames, n parts within our social group. I had a good job so and good bike deals often came up for nice frames n wheels to flip. Italian bikes had the mystique but American frame builders were far more time spent on lug and tube end details, and the name on the frame was the actual builder...I did see a Colnago built by Ernesto once and it was beautiful.
The group I hung with had good connections to obtain used japanese track bikes and I had a 3rensho that accelerated and handled, but lusted after funky looking Zunow that had a unique mono seat stay...
I was lucky to ride with a group of people in Austin, which included John Howard on occasion who would bring other fast buddies to the ride. Austin had heat, hills and wind! And great riding buddies! I have fond memories of that time in my life.