Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

38c Cyclocross mix tread types

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 10:50 PM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm a bigger dude and enjoy racing cyclocross, but I'd like to get some tires that I can use for CX as well as gravel and single track. I'm not saying jumps and drops and rock gardens, but I'd like to find some larger (38-40ish)mm tires with reasonably faster rolling tread that can be used for combo type conditions.

I ride in the PNW, and all but the last few races were on 33c Terrano Mix tires, which did great. I'm giving serious consideration to the 38c version next season.

I've used Nanos, and they are horrible for cornering, so I'm not going that direction

I've used the 38c Terra Pros, and they lock onto anything and allow you to rail corners but they are so painfully slow on anything but super soft mud that the rolling resistance is intense. Their big knobs also tend to roll over on hardpack and the standard paved start lines

A lot of the standard 38c gravel tires seem a bit....treadless and smooth, so they'd be fine for hardpack and gravel but for semi-soft dirt and light mud, maybe not so much.

I'm very interested in experiences with any of the following tires, and I'm open to suggestions from others who have used these (or other larger) tires to race in non-dry conditions:

38(40?)c Terrano Mix
40c Maxxis Ravagers
Compass Steilacooms

I have a 2019 SuperX with good mud clearance. I'm 100kg so larger volume = substantially faster, better ride for me
Old 11-29-19, 12:32 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I only ride recreationally, but I am very impressed by my Compass Steilacooms. They are VASTLY better than my Nanos.
Old 11-29-19, 03:39 PM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgscott
I only ride recreationally, but I am very impressed by my Compass Steilacooms. They are VASTLY better than my Nanos.
+1 Never raced cyclocross, but the Steilacooms roll fast and grip well. Haven’t tried them in wet conditions though.