Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 9 and 10 speed compatibility?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 06:48 PM
instructions

Bikes: 1990's Miele, 1980's Woodrup, Bridgestone 400, and customs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there any problems with using a campagnolo 10 speed brifter with a 9 speed rear derailleur and a 10 speed cassette? I know you probably can w shimano, I'm not that experienced w campy components to know.
Old 01-20-16, 07:23 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by instructions
Is there any problems with using a campagnolo 10 speed brifter with a 9 speed rear derailleur and a 10 speed cassette? I know you probably can w shimano, I'm not that experienced w campy components to know.
Sometimes. 10 speed shifters require a derailleur with the tension adjustment via a rack on the lower pulley, not the older conventional B-tension screw.

Campagnolo 9 speed freehubs are 1mm wider than 8 speed, and 10 speed cassettes are even wider due to an offset largest cog between the spline ends and spokes. To get more travel without making bigger cable drums which would require new shifter bodies they changed the actuation ratio.

In 2001 they updated 9 speed derailleurs to use the 10 speed geometry so they wouldn't have two different configurations to manufacture.

So 2001 and newer 9 speed derailleurs with lower pivot tension adjustment are OK; 2000 and older with conventional B-tension are not.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-21-16 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 11:34 AM
instructions

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow thanks for the info.

I checked and it'd appear I have the pre 2001 one.

I guess one more question: I have on hand a 10 speed record crank and the rest are 9 speed (mix of record and chorus brifters, FD, RD, cassette) will It be okay or should I look on ebay for an older 9 speed crank?
Old 01-21-16, 11:41 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd wager you'll be fine. The 'speed' of chainrings/cranksets is far more forgiving in mix-match situations than things like shifters and cassettes.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 01-21-16, 01:12 PM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by instructions
wow thanks for the info.

I checked and it'd appear I have the pre 2001 one.

I guess one more question: I have on hand a 10 speed record crank and the rest are 9 speed (mix of record and chorus brifters, FD, RD, cassette) will It be okay or should I look on ebay for an older 9 speed crank?
If you are looking to run a 9s chain, I'd see if at a minimum you can get a 9s inner ring. The ring spacing difference in Campag 9, 10 and 11s cranksets is actually set with the tooth offset on the inner ring.

The potential problem with running a 9s chain on a 10s crank is usually that the chain brushes the back of the big ring when you are on small to small or small to next-to-small on a short wheelbase frame, and the chain can "pick up" on the lift pins, giving a symptom like chain suck, occasionally. The longer the rear triangle, the less of a probem this is, though.

Getting the ring spacing correct and taking care with correct FD set-up and especially cable tension can also improve front shift performance night and day ... our customers are often surprised (in all manufacturers groups) how much front shift can be improved just by paying attention to these factors. 9s is less sensitive than 10 or 11s but it's still worth taking a bit of time.

Drew is spot on with his RD comments ... it's also worth being careful about cassette lockring tightness and with rear hanger attachment and straightness (in both planes) to get good performance - remember you are likely dealing with levers and maybe mechs with a bit of wear and tear on them so you need to make sure that all the other variables are well within spec ...
Old 01-21-16, 01:18 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo
If you are looking to run a 9s chain, I'd see if at a minimum you can get a 9s inner ring. The ring spacing difference in Campag 9, 10 and 11s cranksets is actually set with the tooth offset on the inner ring.

The potential problem with running a 9s chain on a 10s crank is usually that the chain brushes the back of the big ring when you are on small to small or small to next-to-small on a short wheelbase frame, and the chain can "pick up" on the lift pins, giving a symptom like chain suck, occasionally. The longer the rear triangle, the less of a probem this is, though.
LeTour, Wheels Manufacturing, and Origin8 all make 0.6mm spacers which give you 9-speed spacing on 10 speed cranksets.

I had to do that to have usable overlap between rings (IIRC the three smallest cogs all had problems) when I ran a "9 and 10 speed compatible" FSA Carbon Pro Compact crank with a C9 chain on a bike with 40.6cm chain stays.
Old 01-21-16, 02:52 PM
instructions

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the info....
Now I'm going to think about ordering spacers or maybe even see about selling the 10speed crankset on ebay and getting a 9 speed instead.