Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello! ... Again?

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello! ... Again?

Old 01-01-19, 09:25 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! ... Again?

I started riding again last August after several years off the bikes. I don't know exactly when I tapered off, but it would have been 2010 or maybe '11. Since getting back, I've been looking for a forum to learn some more about bikes, what's new, what's cool, what's just hype; all that sort of stuff. I found this place and after looking around, went to register.

It said "this email is already in use". After a few "send me my password" and such exchanges, it opened my account. Turns out I registered here in 2005. Posted 51 times (IIRC). I think it said I last posted in 2007.

Despite all that, it's a new place to me. I'm a retired electrical engineer, circuit designer, in Florida. Located on the east coast south of the Space Center. Playing with hobbies and riding a few days a week.

Bob
Old 01-02-19, 12:15 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Old 01-03-19, 08:26 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,726 Times in 2,756 Posts
Welcome back, BobL!
Old 01-03-19, 08:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Glad you are back. I see you have an Airborne. I have one also, Zeppelin, not sure what year. I think 2004 to 06. I bought used in 2017 and I love riding it, light, comfortable and fast.
Old 01-03-19, 11:03 AM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Glad you are back. I see you have an Airborne. I have one also, Zeppelin, not sure what year. I think 2004 to 06. I bought used in 2017 and I love riding it, light, comfortable and fast.
Sure do. Light, comfortable, and fast is an excellent description. Just got back from a short morning ride.

Mine was the most bizarre bike purchase of my life. Airborne apparently built some touring bikes for one of the bike touring companies and had leftovers for some reason. They were on eBay for well under a k-buck. Back when Airborne was still around, I compared geometry to other bikes and left myself a note that it matched the Airborne Carpe Diem.

It was an odd touring bike. Flat bars, kind of a hybrid geometry, but with skinny tires and Bontrager 20 spoke wheels instead of something like 700x36 with 36 spokes. It had grip shifters and the rear shifter operated backwards from every other bike I'd ever ridden. After riding a few months, I rebuilt it with drop bars, put Shimano 105 shifters on it, Mavic wheels for 700x23s, and honestly don't remember everything I changed. I left the triple front crank but changed the rear derailleur and the cluster to an Ultegra 25-12. It's safe to say there probably isn't another exactly like it in the world.
Old 01-03-19, 07:39 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Welcome back, Bob!~
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-03-19, 08:50 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Welcome back. Glad you found us again.