Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Repairs

Old 09-06-19, 05:03 AM
itsollyg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Repairs

I am a student who is currently doing their tech NEA GCSE. If you could answer some questions it would help me greatly :
What is the main thing that you have to repair on your bike?
Any ideas for a tool that would make this easier / Prevent the problem from happening in the first place?
Thanks
Old 09-06-19, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by itsollyg
I am a student who is currently doing their tech NEA GCSE. If you could answer some questions it would help me greatly :
Any ideas for a tool that would make this easier / Prevent the problem from happening in the first place?
Thanks
Someone beat you to this: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ke-delays.html
Old 09-06-19, 05:26 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Well, there are normal maintenance issues to attend to, like tire inflation, chain lube, etc. but those aren't really repairs. Other than tire flats, the only actual repairs I've had to do is replace brake cables that snapped. This happens every 5,000 miles +, so it's not that frequent. The repair takes about 10 minutes so not a big deal. Not much to make it easier. Of course, one could argue that cables are a maintenance issue and that I should have replaced them before they broke.

Oh, another one: My saddle cover on my commuting bike started to crack and tear. To be expected after 5 years of daily use. I recovered it and all is good.

Others here have reported problems with spoke breaking.

Good luck on your project.
Old 09-06-19, 06:31 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Using a definition of 'repair' as being about anything that requires the use of some kind of tool ...

In order of how often I have encountered them (roughly)

1) Flat tires partially mitigated by riding tougher tires (less comfort/other negatives), care with tire pressures, care in choosing where you ride

2) Tire replacement - some tires wear faster than others (typically a life, speed, comfort, handling trade-off)

3) Chain replacement partially mitigated by regular cleaning and lubing

4) Adjustment of shifters and brakes - seems inevitable to me

5) Broken spokes - not frequent and I am not sure how or why they happened

6) worn rear cassettes partially mitigated by proper chain replacement. Worn chains get longer and dramatically affect the life of a cassette

7) Wheel truing

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 09-06-19, 06:39 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Probably repairing flats, but there's no need for any advanced tools, and the methods to prevent them are well known and work well - tires with puncture protection or going tubeless.
Other than that, it's mostly replacing the wearing parts - tires, chain, cassette, brake pads, cables.
Old 09-06-19, 06:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
just out of curiosity, does your professor encourage you to go out and spam forums instead of figuring these things out for yourself?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-06-19, 06:57 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
just out of curiosity, does your professor encourage you to go out and spam forums instead of figuring these things out for yourself?
I don't get it. This to me would seem to be one way to investigate this question - kind of the 21st century version of 'calling up some experts and asking them'.

dave
Old 09-06-19, 07:07 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Harsh.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 09-06-19, 07:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Thanks
Not me, but what i see most often is rubbing brakes. This is due either to an out of true wheel, brakes that arent centered/dont retract properly, or both.

Go fix that.
Old 09-06-19, 08:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
as someone who has taught a design course at a university, I find it incredibly lazy on the part of the student. If they instructor encourages it, I am very disappointed.

It's also against the rules on bikeforums. I usually ban as spammer and they never appeal

Rules for surveys: https://www.bikeforums.net/manufactu...g-surveys.html
Old 09-06-19, 03:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The most common repair I've had to deal with are, of course, flat tires. There is no tool to make repairs easier, all you need are tire levers, a patch kit, or a spare tube. I suppose if I wanted to prevent the problem in the first place I'd put liners in my tires, but it's been so long since I've had a flat I don't know that it's really necessary. Now having said that I hope I didn't jinx myself with a flat tire on my rides this weekend.
Old 09-06-19, 03:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Thanks
On about 90% of the bikes I see at my local co-op, the problem is derailer cables. Nearly every conversation starts with "my bike is shifting funny", which is followed by "I turned those screws and it didn't get better". The way to prevent to former is to learn how the cables and shifters work together to move the chain and the way to prevent the latter is to put down the damned screwdriver!

Most every shifting problem I've run across is solved simply by taking up the slack in the derailer cables.

Other common problems are broken spokes. Use the right spokes to begin with and that problem goes away as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-06-19, 03:25 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
I'll admit I was thinking this, too. The OPs question (field of research?) seems pretty simplistic for a graduate degree research project. There seem to be a lot of these types of threads, and it makes me wonder whether the OPs who post them even ride bicycles on any sort of a regular basis.
Old 09-06-19, 03:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

as someone who has taught a design course at a university, I find it incredibly lazy on the part of the student. If they instructor encourages it, I am very disappointed.

It's also against the rules on bikeforums. I usually ban as spammer and they never appeal

Rules for surveys: https://www.bikeforums.net/manufactu...g-surveys.html
Just so you know, the OP is probably a 16 year old. Not sure whether that makes a difference.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-19, 03:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Other than replacing consumable wear items such as chains (yes, there's a specialized tool for that), cassettes (same), and tires (same), 90% of the repairs I do can be accomplished with standard tools like hex wrenches and screwdrivers.
Old 09-06-19, 05:26 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I'll admit I was thinking this, too. The OPs question (field of research?) seems pretty simplistic for a graduate degree research project. There seem to be a lot of these types of threads, and it makes me wonder whether the OPs who post them even ride bicycles on any sort of a regular basis.
Unless the “idea” is just the first step. Taking that idea to fruition, successfully and at profit whether monetarily or to society in general, can easily be a semester project with lots of research and thought put in, hopefully by the student or their team.

That said, as someone who sat their butt in a classroom through undergraduate and graduate school while working full time, I absolutely find this the same as asking someone else to do your school work while you get the credit. I’m guessing the professor expected the student to assess for themselves what type of problems a cyclist might encounter and then develop, create, produce, and supply a device to either prevent it or fix it if it can’t be prevented and occurs...reporting at each step along the way while identifying your sources. Not sure how “Bike forums - user xxxx” goes over as a citation. Then again, I finished graduate school in 1999 at the age of 41, so it may be the norm now!
Old 09-06-19, 05:53 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Not necessarily a repair problem, but the biggest pain I face is adjusting my seat to a desired fore-aft and pitch-up/pitch-down setting. That's because there are two-bolt posts that (are said to) make this easier but those are out of my price range. This leaves me with one-bolt posts and the cheap posts you find on department store bikes. Both of those suffer from the problem that while you're tightening down from a good position, the seat can/does shift and your adjustment is lost. Also sometimes that the amount you can adjust pitch by is limited to a large number of degrees (maybe 6 degrees) and I want greater precision than that, like 2 degrees or even 1 degree.

If there were something I could buy that sat on top of a cheap seat post (which is a simple tube with a separate clamping head that sits on top of it) that allowed for precise and easy adjustment of the seat, even if it added ounces, I'd be interested. In other words, a better clamping head.

Also, registration marks, so it's repeatable.
Old 09-06-19, 05:55 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Just like everyone else, most of my repairs involve replacing wear items (tubes, tires, derailleur and brake cables, brake pads, chains) and truing wheels.

All of these items require only cheap tools and/or tools all people should probably own, along with a decent bike pump.

In the spirit of trying to be helpful, I do know people who will fix flats and change tires, but are paranoid about replacing cables and chains and adjusting derailleurs/brakes on their own. I'm not sure what kind of tool might make that intuitive for more people; some people are just convinced that they are not mechanically inclined.
Old 09-06-19, 05:56 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
and then they get a participation reward. And then they get hired by SRAM. and then the front derailleur won't work, so they make it a 1x system.
Welcome to 2019
Old 09-06-19, 07:05 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
The ops question is fine, unterhausen. He or she is doing the most straightforward and useful thing they can do: Posing a question to a forum of users. This is exactly how you find out what to ask and who to ask. Though I would suggest they post to the bike mechanic forum instead.
Likes For bcpriess:
Old 09-06-19, 07:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by skidder
The NEA GCSE is a certification program mainly for 16 year olds.
Old 09-06-19, 09:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
The best tools for bike repair are google & Youtube
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-06-19, 09:33 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Some of these answers are ridiculous. We don't know what level of experience the OP has with bikes. The OP is simply doing research and asking experts for their opinions based on experience which is valid research. Asking questions to form baseline knowledge which leads to in depth research is certainly recognized as appropriate.

Perhaps someone who wants to write about the effects of combat on soldiers post combat psyches shouldn't interview soldiers but should enlist, volunteer for combat and then write. Reporters shouldn't ask sources for information nor should they interview witnesses and victims. If they want to know about conditions in jail they should get arrested. If they want to know about criminal assault, they should get beaten up. Maybe the OP should buy a bike and ride until it needs a repair (perhaps years later) and then report. Again...RIDICULOUS!

The REAL SPAM ON THIS SITE is the non-responsive posts that merely criticize but ADD NOTHING to the discussion.

BTW...I'm a university professor who has done and sponsored research so I write from fact based experience, not opinionated supposition.

+1 on the suggestion that the OP post to the bike mechanic forum instead.

Last edited by MAK; 09-07-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 04:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MAK
Some of these answers are ridiculous. We don't know what level of experience the OP has with bikes. The OP is simply doing research and asking experts for their opinions based on experience which is valid research. Asking questions to form baseline knowledge which leads to in depth research is certainly recognized as appropriate.

Perhaps someone who wants to write about the effects of combat on soldiers post combat psyches shouldn't interview soldiers but should enlist, volunteer for combat and then write. Reporters shouldn't ask sources for information nor should they interview witnesses and victims. if they want to know about conditions in jail they should get arrested. If they want to know about criminal assault, they should get beaten up. Maybe the OP should buy a bike and ride until it needs a repair (perhaps years later) and then report. Again...RIDICULOUS!

The REAL SPAM ON THIS SITE is the non-responsive posts that merely criticize but ADD NOTHING to the discussion.

BTW...I'm a university professor who has done and sponsored research so I write from fact based experience, not opinionated supposition.

We actually don't have to engage in too much supposition because OP clearly identified what he's doing this for. This is basically a high school level project that British schools use to certify students. So this is a kid asking questions to get informed on a subject we presumably know something about. I don't get what is supposed to be wrong with that. I did find it funny that this is the second kid to start a thread on this assignment, but otherwise I don't see why people can't just choose whether or not to respond to the question without getting huffy about it.

Silly responses, however, are always welcome.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-07-19, 08:02 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK

Perhaps someone who wants to write about the effects of combat on soldiers post combat psyches shouldn't interview soldiers but should enlist, volunteer for combat and then write. Reporters shouldn't ask sources for information nor should they interview witnesses and victims. if they want to know about conditions in jail they should get arrested. If they want to know about criminal assault, they should get beaten up. Maybe the OP should buy a bike and ride until it needs a repair (perhaps years later) and then report. Again...RIDICULOUS!

True for the most part, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of having to occasionally teach firefighters and cops (both being pretty insular groups of folks) about hazardous materials and industrial chemical processes. I don't use 'lingo' and acronyms to describe things, and I stress to them not to do it either or they'll just confuse the listener and could confuse other groups who are present at an emergency incident. I didn't know what the NEA GCSE was, so looked it up; its somewhat like the GED programs here in the USA. I'm not sure how much the OP looked around the Bikeforums website, but maybe he/she might have seen its primarily a USA-centric site, so could have included a link in his/her post to what the NEA GCSE is. And there's a regular stream of posts that seek (what seems like) some pretty basic information for college-level research, almost appearing like the poster just found out what a bicycle is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.