Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you pay for Strava?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Strava and your $$$
I pay for Strava
30.73%
I use Strava for free
58.26%
I don't use Strava
11.01%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Do you pay for Strava?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 10:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I pay for Strava, RWGPS, and TrainingPeaks. They each have something different to offer. It is a PITA to upload to them all, but even with all three, it's cheap per day and interesting. I would never use a phone on my bike, so I care nothing about the Strava app. Or the RWGPS app, etc.
Old 10-30-19, 12:28 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I’m a barnacle

Just getting a free ride.? I like to keep track of the climbing and mileage I do. I used to live in a place with way too many little segments for my liking. I know where I get a good cell signal and use it for casual mountain bike exploration without downloading a map in advance. I’m too lazy to check out RWGPS, but when I start touring next year I will probably use that.
Old 10-30-19, 04:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I don't have a need for Strava and don't have it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-30-19, 05:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
How do you pronounce "Strava"?
Old 10-30-19, 05:58 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I don't use Strava that often. I prefer ridewithGPS which I do pay an annual fee for - I think it's $50. Earlier this year I picked up a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt because I wanted turn-by-turn capability, and it works well with ridewithGPS.

The only time I use Strava is the rare occasion when I want to share a ride with one or two of my riding buddies. My (free) account is private, except for a few friends. I don't care about KOMs or if I passed near someone else.
Old 10-30-19, 07:15 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I started using the free version of Strava to record rides when I went back to doing that a few years back. Now I record using a cheapo GPS computer and heart rate monitor and upload to Strava. I use the free version because it's primarily a social site for me; I have cycling 'friends' from around the world and it's neat to see where they ride.

The data is nice, but there are other ways to see it. I could really give a hoot about leaderboards, and took myself off when people started taking them too seriously and starting drama about KOM/QOM status. I have my Google account set up so that my SO can see my phone's location, so if something really did happen, he could track me down that way.

I am currently paying for RWGPS, primarily because I moved to a new area with a lot of roads and no grid system, and the navigation is nice.
Old 10-30-19, 07:22 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I like Live Segments. I also like the analysis tools. So I don’t mind paying.
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I would never use a phone on my bike, so I care nothing about the Strava app. Or the RWGPS app, etc.
Add to that that I always use the Elevate plug-in and also subscribe to Veloviewer and there we are.

My wife rides significantly less than I do and uses the free version, so I've had the opportunity to view them side-by-side. In my case, paying for Summit is worth it.
Old 10-30-19, 10:07 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How do you pronounce "Strava"?
Strava
Old 10-30-19, 11:51 AM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I'd pay for it if I lived some place with a longer riding season and better areas to ride, but since nov-april is about 90% inside riding I don't want to pay for an entire year.
Old 10-30-19, 02:19 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I pay for one of the (IIRC) three "Summit" packages on Strava. No need to, but I like looking at my data and it costs like $3 per month so I definitely get my money's worth.
Old 10-30-19, 02:54 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I pay for it as a premium subscription to Strava syncs my rides to BKool which is used to control my smart trainer. With BKool I can set a previous ride on a route as a ghost and race myself on that route. I like being able to ride indoors with the same resistance as I ride outdoors.
Old 10-30-19, 03:05 PM
heresy

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, Orbea Orca SLT, Orbea Mitis, Specialized Allez SE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I pay for it, but I have never used it to track a workout. Garmin Connect is linked to Stava and my workouts somehow find their way from one to the other.
Old 10-30-19, 05:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
I use the free Strava. It's fun to see the elevation and segments after a ride, plus my friends' rides. I'll never have a KOM unless it was age group, which is just silly IMO. I do pay for RWGPS because I often provide routes for my group and the pay version offered something extra. Can't remember what
Old 10-30-19, 07:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10154 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
No. If it’s not given freely and joyfully in a committed relationship, I don’t want it.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-31-19, 09:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I use the free version of Strava. There really isn't much that the Summit version offers that I care for. But, I'm sure those services can be useful to riders who care about the things the paid portion of the app offers. For one of them, I know that it had to pretty much be just me that provided the initial input. I'm talking about the 'heat map.' A couple of years ago there was a new road put in just a block from my house that now provides safe connectivity between two areas that before were only interconnected by a safe cycling route of about 10-15 miles. This section of street/road is only about a half-mile long, and it's only a block from my house. I started using it right away. This is on Aquidneck Island so this new connectivity is big as it opens up lots of routes for cyclists. But where this new road was built, there was no other reason for a cyclist to be back here. It's a secluded dead end at farming fields. In other words...no one (cyclists) was aware of the connectivity. But I was using it all the time. Other cyclists using the heat map on the paid portion of Strava seeking routes to ride must have seen my routes using that new road. Soon I started seeing more and more bikes going past my house to use that road. Now I see cyclists go past at least daily. It had to be me, and the heat map.

Dan
Old 11-01-19, 05:53 AM
SayWatt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use the free version. I don’t really really care about the social or competitive aspects of it, just see it as a simple way to keep track of hours and miles ridden.
Old 11-01-19, 06:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I pay for Strava, RWGPS, and TrainingPeaks. They each have something different to offer. It is a PITA to upload to them all, but even with all three, it's cheap per day and interesting. I would never use a phone on my bike, so I care nothing about the Strava app. Or the RWGPS app, etc.
I assume you use a GPS or some sorta head unit on the bike. At least with Garmin, and while I can't recall exactly how I set it up, but after hitting "save" on a completed ride on my Garmin, about 5 minutes later if I visit Strava, RWGPS, or Garmin Connect, the ride data is sitting on all 3 sites.
Old 11-01-19, 09:01 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I have used the free version for a few years since my daughter told me about it. I like it and I use it to keep track of my rides and different bikes performance. I have contemplated the Summit version only for Beacon so my wife can keep track of me and know I'm alright(I ride alone). Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 11-01-19, 10:44 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I assume you use a GPS or some sorta head unit on the bike. At least with Garmin, and while I can't recall exactly how I set it up, but after hitting "save" on a completed ride on my Garmin, about 5 minutes later if I visit Strava, RWGPS, or Garmin Connect, the ride data is sitting on all 3 sites.
Much newer Garmin than mine. My Edge 800 has no internet connection. The perceived value to me does not reach to the cost of a new unit. OTOH, I'm very pleased that my Garmin still works.
Old 11-01-19, 11:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Much newer Garmin than mine. My Edge 800 has no internet connection. The perceived value to me does not reach to the cost of a new unit. OTOH, I'm very pleased that my Garmin still works.
ahh, ok. It's not that newer Garmins have internet connections per se, but they have bluetooth.. the data goes from the unit thru a smartphone's installed Garmin Connect app I think (and I usually carry my phone in my back jersey pocket anyway). The 800 doesn't have BT I guess.
Old 11-01-19, 11:28 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I pay because I enjoy the total experience of riding plus monitoring my real-time performance, competing against myself and against my peers.
Old 11-01-19, 12:23 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I used to use Strava and when I did I paid for the premium membership. I no longer use any tracking device and sold all my electronics since I just stopped recording rides. I did dig the personal heatmaps and route maker on the premium side of things.
Old 11-01-19, 02:38 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I pay for two simple reasons:
1) I use the service daily and want it to survive. It's a great tracking, planning, and training tool, and I really enjoy the social media aspect. I've met a lot of new friends on Strava. I know software doesn't design and service itself, so I can spend less than the cost of taking my wife out to dinner once for a year's worth of service.
2) I use the premium features.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 11-04-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 05:45 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I subscribe to get the Live Tracking feature for the Bolt. Provides some incentive for me to try to get PR's when I can see where I'm at relative to earlier attempts.
Old 11-04-19, 03:52 PM
Stretch44

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use it for free to track my rides, don’t need anything more robust for my purposes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.