Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Advice

Old 04-26-20, 09:18 AM
GAM5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Advice

I posted a few weeks ago as I’m getting ready to buy my first road bike. I’ve narrowed to the 2 bikes below, both Giant 2020 models. Any advice/recommendation would be appreciated.

Giant Contend 1
Giant Contend AR 3

Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-20, 10:01 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Personally, from taking a quick look at each, I would go with the AR3, takes up to 38mm tires the other is only up to 28mm, will make for a smoother riding more versatile bike btter for gravel or road riding.
Old 04-26-20, 10:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
At a glance they don't look much different in geometry so if either fits you well then get it. You are going to ride them for several miles and see which size feels better?

If both bikes feel just a good to you after riding, then decide whether you want rim or disc brakes. Both are Sora, if you can pony up the extra for Tiagra or better, it might be worth it if you are going to be riding for more than an hour at a time. More gears gives you more chances of finding a comfortable cadence when cruising. Gearing is 34/50 front with 11-34 back, so you got a decent range with a low enough gear for most hills.

Color is a valid reason to pick one over the other. Most any bike made and sold at a LBS is a decent bike as long as it fits the type riding you are going to do.
Old 04-26-20, 04:55 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Personally, from taking a quick look at each, I would go with the AR3, takes up to 38mm tires the other is only up to 28mm, will make for a smoother riding more versatile bike btter for gravel or road riding.
I agree. I think you'll appreciate the disk brakes and wider tires. For years I've been riding 25mm tires and recently got a bike with 38mm wheels. The ride is much better on any surface that isn't perfectly smooth.
Old 04-26-20, 09:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I can't see much difference between them excelt the brakes, which allows for a wider tire (32mm vs 38.)

Frankly, I think 38 is overkill for paved roads ..... 32 is a lot. But ... if you Want a wider tire sometime, the AR3 can fit it.

Mechanical discs don't offer near the stopping power of hydro discs, but the Tektro (Actually TRP, which someone claims stands for Tektro Racing Products .... who knows or cares?) Spyre SLCs on my Fuji are as good as the best rim brakes I have used, and inspire more confidence in wet weather.

Honestly, i'd choose by color as well .... neither bike is far ahead or far behind the other. Pick the one which looks better.

One caveat----if you ever decided to drop a bundle of money on the bike and upgrade to hydro discs (a bad move IMO) you would need the disc fork. But if you were ever planning to do that .... buy the factory hydro disc model, it will be the cheaper option.
Old 04-27-20, 04:39 AM
GAM5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the great advice and recommendations. I’ll be going to my LBS this week and making a final decision. Will update with my selection. I appreciate everyone’s input.