Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade or Buy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Upgrade or Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 05:29 PM
TSawyerLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Upgrade or Buy

I ride a 2018 Roubaix. I want (not a need) electronic shifting, a different seat post (I question the effectiveness of the “Cobbler Gobbler”), a power meter and carbon bars. I have mostly decided to go Di2. What makes more sense, upgrading my bike or buying a new bike? My research shows upgrading is the cheaper route, but not by a lot relatively speaking.
Old 07-20-20, 05:38 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
If you want to choose your seatpost, carbon bars, and PM, then upgrade.

If you find a stock Di2 bike that has the exact bars, stem, seatpost that you're looking for, and comes with a PM, (which is also the PM you're looking for) buy.
Old 07-20-20, 08:07 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Handlebars are a very personal choice, and I would say definitely pick ones you love. Got three different drop bars on 3 different bikes. Got a Bontrager bar on my road bike, and that is my fav. You might be better off starting with your existing bike if it fits well, and add the seatpost, bars, and DI2 you like. Guess it depends on how much you like the bike. Sorry if this is sounding like a Marie Kondo add LOL.

Dave
Old 07-20-20, 08:12 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Problem with buying new bikes is having to replace all the parts that don't fit/aren't what you want.

So with that in mind, out of those two choices, I'd say upgrade.

I'd personally buy a frame/fork and build it with everything I want. Then no need to upgrade/replace, etc.