Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What is the most annoying thing in your folding bike?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What is the most annoying thing in your folding bike?

Old 12-05-19, 05:58 AM
jumpingmoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The annoyong thing in my folding bike is when my legs got tired. Haha nothing is annoying with any bikes
​​
Old 12-05-19, 12:30 PM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
It's time Brompton came out with an all Ti main frame to go with the front fork and rear triangle. Also they need to look into a 20 inch wheel version that can fit Schwalbe Big Apple tires. I have seen a disk brakes Brompton with Big Apple tires and would buy one if I could get my hands on one. I know that they are working on new things as I was told from my Brompton dealer at PortaPedal.
Old 12-05-19, 12:39 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The most annoying thing on my current folding bike (Dahon Curl) is always having to re-adjust the seat height every time I unfold the bike. This is one of the things that the Bike Friday Tikit got correct in its design.

The second most annoying thing about 16" folders in general is that we generally can't use the widest tire options. All 16" folders should allow for wider tires.

Last edited by Lalato; 12-06-19 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For Lalato:
Old 12-26-19, 02:06 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Weight, they get hefty to limit flex.
Bromie's damn thumb dance shifting
Downtube creakes, but hey , it was $230 new.
20" Dahonian bikes are bulky
Dahon curve is made for a 5'4" asian
Did I say weight? Mobiky is 30+ lbs, but that's what I get for a bike with a jackshaft and IGH that can fit in an umbrella stand and has an even funnier fold than the Bromie.
I have 2 26" foldies and ,to be honest, I am not sure why, I can take the front wheel off a 26" MTB and get it most of the places the Montague or Matrix goes.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 12-26-19 at 02:13 AM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 12-26-19, 06:46 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brompton: now limited replacement parts for routine repairs/maintenance. You’re supposed to have an authorised dealer do things which require servicing quite often, e.g. replacing seat post shim. This makes the bike ridiculously expensive to run... but so far I’ve managed to acquire parts and do it myself. Might not be possible in the future.

There’s too much flex overall. The stem/steerer needs to follow the birdy/curl example, for stiffness.

Servicing the rear hinge is ridiculous, the system is antiquated. And again, it’s supposed to be done by an authorised dealer, who will charge a heap for labour since it’s such an awkward process.

The front wheel needs some suspension, which would work best in the form of a fat tyre. However, implementing this is very tricky due to the precision of the fold. Probably a new rim spec and tyre would have to be custom designed.

Last edited by chagzuki; 12-29-19 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-29-19, 08:36 AM
burnfatburn

Bikes: Doppleganger M6 series 20 inch steel foldingbike and a Custom Minivelo Tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have cheap steel bike Doppelganger M5 series for daily activities. made in china with japan brand. its heavy and sturdy. I can get along with the weight, but I wish it could be folded more compact, so I can carry it easily. I suppose the bike can be folded only to save place for storage not to be hand carried while climbing stairs
Old 12-29-19, 10:16 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
most anoying thing is ustandard parts, such as rear and front hub.
i would also lift the bottonbracket to avoid groundstrikes while cornering
Old 12-29-19, 06:43 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Weight, they get hefty to limit flex.
Bromie's damn thumb dance shifting
Downtube creakes, but hey , it was $230 new.
20" Dahonian bikes are bulky
Dahon curve is made for a 5'4" asian
Did I say weight? Mobiky is 30+ lbs, but that's what I get for a bike with a jackshaft and IGH that can fit in an umbrella stand and has an even funnier fold than the Bromie.
I have 2 26" foldies and ,to be honest, I am not sure why, I can take the front wheel off a 26" MTB and get it most of the places the Montague or Matrix goes.

I think all foldups/mini-velos are created for 5'4" people.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 12-29-19, 07:47 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The only small size exception would be Bike Fridays as they are custom built per your body size. I am about 6 feet tall and my BF its just like my other road bikes. Roger
Old 08-15-20, 08:17 AM
burnfatburn

Bikes: Doppleganger M6 series 20 inch steel foldingbike and a Custom Minivelo Tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
Thus, what kind minivelo suitable for 6' people? the usual but with a little bit longer top tube and seat tube?

currently I want to build one too, I hope it could be suitable for 5'-6' people

Last edited by burnfatburn; 08-15-20 at 08:19 AM. Reason: adding sentences
Old 08-15-20, 01:07 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Make one that has the same dimensions as the ROG, MIFA or Raleigh(Shopper). Make use of the hi-rise handlebars and a long seat post. And center the gear inches at 60.
Old 08-15-20, 03:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My hyperfold Bike Friday Tikit was so eager to fold, I had to block* the mech, to put it on a repair stand..

* a toe strap worked..
Old 08-16-20, 08:10 PM
mirfi

Make one that has the same dimensions as the ROG, MIFA or Raleigh(Shopper). Make use of the hi-rise handlebars and a long seat post. And center the gear inches at 60.
Sorry I should have added, these bikes were built 1960-1990, Yugoslavia(?), East Germany and England, respectively. They were built by/for Europeans to reliably get to work and maybe take on the train. Strong, dependable, gear inches about 60. Nearly all came with racks to carry stuff.
Old 08-16-20, 08:49 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Sorry I should have added, these bikes were built 1960-1990, Yugoslavia(?), East Germany and England, respectively. They were built by/for Europeans to reliably get to work and maybe take on the train. Strong, dependable, gear inches about 60. Nearly all came with racks to carry stuff.
R20 was a decent rider but you needed to replace the seat post with MTB post to get a decent height. It was too heavy and had terrible fold.
Old 08-17-20, 08:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Exceptions : Bike Friday's JIT builds are done in an order queue, for the ordering buyer.

Brompton's H build set...

Minivelos may be a custom framebuilder project ... longer head tubes, fork steerers , shorter fork blades, etc..

In the past I'd seen pictures of Ti variations of Xooter Swift, out of Chinese custom shops mentioned on this forum.

Old 08-17-20, 11:42 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
I wish the bottom bracket on the Xootr Swift was lower. I think that is my only compaint. On second thought I wish used a front luggage block like Brompton or Dahon.
Old 08-17-20, 05:07 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
my only complain on folding bike world is the anoying non standars parts like crazy oversized seatposts, crazy narrow wheels
Old 08-18-20, 12:55 PM
Bostonwheeler

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 6'0" with 34" leg inseam, and my Dahon Vigor fits fine.

My only gripes:
- Some non-standard parts that could be hard to find years from now.
- The need to completely disassemble it (removing both wheels and the rear derailleur) to fit it into an actual 62-linear-inch regulation airline size suitcase. i.e. one that won't incur oversize baggage fees even if a picky "customer service" person puts a tape measure to it.

Last edited by Bostonwheeler; 08-18-20 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 04:49 PM
tubesocksFred

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A stem with fore/aft adjustment. There might be folders out there that offers that ability, but the vast majority seem to have a stem that goes straight up, and assume ever rider has the same upper torso length.

Don't build so much rake into the fork, so the trail (thus stability) would be increased. With the straight forks, I don't think a fork's rake is there for shock absorption anymore.