Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Duotrap or crap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 04:27 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Duotrap or crap?

I've been struggling to get my new Bontrager Duotrap on my new Trek to work. It won't sync with any of my devices … or I should say, I can't figure out how to do it. When I look at the documentation on paper or on line, it tells me a lot about how to install the thing, but not how to link it with my phone, watch, whatever.

I know someone out there has dealt with this. If you can help, please!

The diagnostic information:
  • I have a Samsung Note 10+ and a Samsung Frontier 3 Watch. I also use Strava, which does not seem to give me diddly from the computer.
  • When I spin the wheel, the sensor light goes on
  • Most of the time when I go to Bluetooth on my phone (when the light is on) the phone does not pick up the Duotrap
  • One (count'em, 1) time the Bluetooth listed it. But when I tried to synch it gave me an error message. I was so frustrated I didn't record the message, which I should'a.
Is this thing just crap?
Old 07-30-20, 06:30 PM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
First, as of October of last year, Strava no longer pairs directly with ANT+ or Bluetooth sensors. So you'll have to pair a different app with the sensors and then export the data files to Strava for analysis and display (I use Cyclemeter and have it set to automatically send ride data to Strava at the end of a ride)

Second, you don't pair the Duotrap using the Bluetooth utility for your phone - you pair it directly in the cycling app you want to use. For Cyclemeter, from the main screen you press the three dots at the bottom-right of the main screen to get to the "more" menu, then select "Devices" and press the "+ / Edit" button at the top right. Spin up the rear wheel to wake up the Duotrap sensor and it'll appear in Cyclemeter, ready to add. You can choose whether or not to use cadence data, and whether to use wheel speed sensor data all the time, none of the time, or "Indoors Only" (when the Cyclemeter app won't be receiving GPS data).
Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 07-30-20, 06:34 PM
Elbeinlaw

Scott: Thanks. So if I'm using Map My Ride, I guess I should be able to do the same thing--link it to the Duotrap without using the phone's bluetooth. Maybe it'll work. I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-30-20, 06:46 PM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
I can't find anything about pairing MapMyRide with any sensors other than heart rate monitors (and even that seems iffy), so I'm not sure whether it's compatible with cadence/speed sensors in the first place. Best of luck, though, and let us know if it works!
Old 08-01-20, 03:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
DuoTrap cadence and wheel sensor works well for my son. He's been using it for 2 maybe 3 years now. However he uses it with a Garmin 820 and a Vivosmart HR. Both ant+.

I thought most Samsungs had ant+ built into them. Have you tried that. However if the app it's going to doesn't connect that way then that's an issue too.

I used to use mapmyride. They used to be good at answering support tickets when you go through their site.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-01-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 07:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Trek dealer consulted?
Old 08-02-20, 08:20 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I had a Duotrap S on a 720 disc that worked without issue with Garmin and Polar head units until the batteries needed replacing. Then it would drop the connection until new batteries. Cannot offer much help with the phone connection, but did you try new batteries? Even if new install, could have been sitting on the dealers’s shelf for some time.
Old 08-05-20, 01:15 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Scott: Thanks. So if I'm using Map My Ride, I guess I should be able to do the same thing--link it to the Duotrap without using the phone's bluetooth. Maybe it'll work. I'll give it a shot.
No longer:

https://support.mapmyfitness.com/hc/...bility-Changes

The Wahoo App (not the Element companion) should pair using bluetooth to your DuoTrap. I've done it (though I use a computer connected with Ant).

Oh, and I've had my Duotrap for 4-5 years and it works just fine. It's not crap (though the rubber band holding the magnet on the crank will fail . . .)

Last edited by drewguy; 08-05-20 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 12:47 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I also use cyclecomputer app on my Moto phone to connect to the sensor (it has both ant+ & bluetooth).
Regarding the magnet, I got my Trek frame without the magnet so I used an old round magnet I had holding knick-knacks on the fridge which was 10mm in diam and 4mm thick. I stuck it on the end of the pedal spindle just using the magnet's force and activates the duotap sensor just fine, has never dropped off in 2 years of riding and is largely invisible. Note this will not work on ti pedal spindles and my cranks are 175mm long.
Old 08-13-20, 08:41 AM
Elbeinlaw

Bluehills: Can you give me more detail on that App? I couldn't find it.
Old 08-17-20, 07:42 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Well, I was a bit off in the name of the app - it's IpBike with the related app IpSensor to connect bluetooth/ANT sensors. Note it is only free for the first 1 million wheel revolutions and then you have to pay.
Old 08-22-20, 10:22 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Elbeinlaw - It looks like the DuoTrap S itself is working okay since the light goes on when you spin the wheel. Spin the pedals, too, to very that cadence is working. As I recall, there are two different lights (red and green), one for cadence and one for wheel rotation.

I was intrigued by the problems you've had connecting to a device. I tried using Ride With GPS (RWGPS) installed on an iPhone. I assume that this app is also available on the Samsung platform. You will probably have to set up an accounts (it's free) in order to use it.

Here's what I did:
  • Wake up the DuoTrap by spinning the wheel and pedals. Stay within range of the DuoTrap (roughly 30 feet, but I'd stand right next to it to be sure).
  • The phone does NOT detect the DuoTrap in the phone's Bluetooth setup menu. Don't worry; we're going to set up the sensor directly in the app itself. (I'm not an expert, but there may be standards lacking at this time for BT on athletic devices.)
  • Open RWGPS. Do the following:
    • Go to Settings (down at the bottom of the page)
    • Select Bluetooth and Sensors
    • Select Set up Bluetooth devices
    • You should see the DuoTrap S listed in the devices. Select it.
    • You can enable cadence and/or speed. You probably want to enable both.
    • In order for the speed to work correctly you will have to input you tire circumference in mm. Charts are readily available on line. Here are some common road bike sizes:
      • 700x23 - 2096mm
      • 700x25 - 2105mm
      • 700x28 - 2136mm
    • Save

Go back to the home screen of the RWGPS app. Hit the "Go Ride" button. You'll have to answer a few questions about what metrics you want to see, allow access to GPS, etc., plus you get a brief tutorial on the basic buttons.

Report back if you feel like it.
Old 08-24-20, 06:52 AM
Elbeinlaw

tntyz: Thank you for taking an interest. I'm on Android, not iPhone, but I'm going to copy your steps and see if I can get it to work with RWGPS. The bikes are both at the shop right now for warranty adjustments, but when they come back, I'm going to give the DuoCraps another try and see if operator education converts them to DuoTraps. Thanks for your help.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 09-01-20, 01:20 PM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
Elbeinlaw, I'm not sure it isn't the Samsung phone or the Android apps but My DuoTrap worked perfectly when connected to my Note 8 and Samsung Health app recording speed, cadence and auto pausing when I came to stoplights... for the first ride only. The next day... no dice. Samsung Health would go into auto pause the moment it sensed movement from the DuoTrap. Tried unpairing and repairing but nothing worked. Decided to remove it and now have it saved for when I add a dedicated cycling computer to the bike. Nothing but issues when using a phone.
Old 09-01-20, 01:26 PM
Elbeinlaw

BenBoo: I have heard that before. I think between Samsung, Strava, Map My Ride and Bontrager, this is a technical clusterf**k of classical proportions. Luckily, we're not in a foxhole somewhere waiting for all the systems to work together to get us ammunition.

My solution is going to be the one you mentioned. I'm going to get dedicated bike computers that actually speak to the DuoTrap. I didn't want more screens, but then, I don't want hills and headwinds either.
Old 09-02-20, 04:35 PM
ihopalot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager Duo Trap

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Trek dealer consulted?
Truth be told. Trek and it’s dealers know less about their products and how they operate. Once they sell you the bike they have no use for you afterwards. Don’t even try calling Treks consumer tech service. It’s a known fact that anyone that works for Trek in Wisconsin is only there because they kissed JB’s arse - no I am not a dissatisfied customer only a consumer who pays attention
I have a Duo Trap and absolutely love it. I love how Trek integrates it into the frame. It works flawlessly- probably on of their best underlying designs
Old 09-02-20, 07:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Out here nobody has that kind of money to buy those in the 1st place
If they do have money . they want electric motors..