Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sensible schedule to work my way up?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 01:49 PM
Bryanmaloney

Bikes: Cheap, from WalMart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I am going to resume a half commute (work to home). I got it up to 8 miles last summer, but my wife convinced me to stop last September because she was afraid I'd get hurt or eaten by a crocodile or something here in the hinterlands of Indianapolis. Anyway, circumstances look like I'll be resuming in a short time. I intend to start "sane" by taking a bus up much of the distance until end of the line then riding the 5 miles home at first. How often should I extend that distance? Ultimately, the distance from work to home would be 14-15 miles, (all up a slight incline, of course). I'm 54 years old. Before last summer, I had not been on a bike in about 20 years, but I was able to get the rid up to 8 miles a day, 5 days a week and was ready to extend it when I got talked out of it. This time, I intend to keep going through winter.

Also, other advice would be appreciated, how to carry a laptop, docking station, and lunch bag in all weather. How to adapt the bike for snow and ice conditions when that happens. When to realize conditions are just too nasty and call an uber. How to dress, etc.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-20, 02:39 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
That depends on you, and how your body is reacting to it. Personally, I would set a goal of riding that 5 miles every day. Get your body used to the activity. Can you go all the way from work to home on the bike if you were so inclined? What about home to work?
Old 08-19-20, 03:13 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
Received wisdom is to extend your ride by about 10% per week. If you can ride 5 miles for a week, you can probably stretch it to 6 miles the next week, then 7 miles the week after that, etc.

On the wife front, point out to her that at least one regular bicycle commuter survived a "widowmaker" heart attack "because of all the cycling you've been doing," according to the cardiologist. My wife hasn't given me any guff about cycling to work and back since then.
Old 08-19-20, 05:16 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryanmaloney
...how to carry a laptop, docking station, and lunch bag in all weather. How to adapt the bike for snow and ice conditions when that happens. When to realize conditions are just too nasty and call an uber. How to dress....
These questions come up often and you can find the answers by the site search at the top or googling and adding site:bikeforums.net to the search terms to limit the results to this site.

But because I love year-round bike commuting, and because my commuting changed for the better when I discovered bikeforums I will "pay it forward" and answer below..

I believe the best, most shock-proof way to carry a laptop is in a backpack that you wear, or a courier bag, since your body acts as a shock absorber. Next would be a cushioned pannier. I, myself have carried a laptop in my backpack on my back rack with plenty of padding, but also padded in my Wald folding rear baskets, since they have a little cushioning "give" to them (just remember to bungie over the top so it doesn't bounce out).

I've been bike commuting 28 years, year-round, but the cold temps and ice were difficult. I learned here how to dress for how I'd be after I warmed up, so that I didn't overheat and sweat. sweat. Everybody's different, you'll have to find what level of clothing works for you at what temperatures, but if you can be a little chilly for 10-12 minutes you will be happier in the long run (or long ride). There is a winter cycling forum here.

Off-road tires with tread will work in snow, but for ice, you should look into studded snow tires. I've used Suomi Nokian W-106s for the last 5 years and I'm happy. THere is nothing more satisfying than pedaling up a hill that most cars are struggling with. But studded snow tires can heavy and slow on dry pavement.

When to opt out? In my early thirties I rode down to 15F in snow, but as I changed over to smooth street tires I cut out snow. Then, because I was over-dressing I was freezing and let my low temperature threshhold rise to 21F (why 21? Don't know). But then one winter I started missing too many days, and pushed myself down to 10F using what I learned here and experimenting. Then 5 years ago I bought a new bike and put studded tires on the old one in the winter and pushed myself down to 5F. But that is my limit.

I'm 58 and ride 9 miles each way to work in Colorado Springs. I grew up in Chicago and spent a dozen years in Iowa so I know how tough midwest winters are. Colorado Springs winters are dryer and warmer than the midwest, but we have more ice and hills.

It sounds like you are smart and cautious...good.

Now research what others on this site do besides me, and figure out what works for you.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-25-20, 05:40 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I ride with a rack and Ortlieb panniers. They make a briefcase that acts as a pannier. I never got the briefcase/pannier, but I'm considering it. I never have because I'd need to take only thin lunches.

You may consider riding a little longer, but do it maybe three days a week for a month, then four for a while then all five eventually. Rest is good.
Old 08-25-20, 06:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I think if you have a Walmart bike and it's even surviving those distances, you would be amazed by the difference in comfort and speed conferred by a decent road bike or even a nicer hybrid.

14-15 miles is a solid hour for most people, that's two hours out of your day round trip. In the past I've also had a dog and at the time decided to forego much bike riding in favor of long dog walks. I have small kids now and before covid-times I would have said I'd rather spend that time on them... now, I'm getting plenty, thank you, would like some escaping. Presumably in the future they will have more extracurriculars to schedule around.

One thing to try is drive to work with your bike and ride home. This gives you several benefits, sort of. It keeps you at 1 hour and 1 ride per day. You have your car with you all day in case you need to bail out. At home you are "stranded" with the only escape back to work your bike, so you have to ride again in the morning, but not really stranded, because presumably your family is there with the other vehicle that families usually have. The only sticking point is that you want your car to be safe all night. When I used to do this, my parking was behind a guarded gate, and I lived further away. If I did it now I'd be taking the normal amount of risk, but there's no reason to because my home is closer. My boss at time did the same thing, but he'd bring his bike (and fresh laundry) in Monday morning and leave his car there til Friday afternoon.

You can find endless discussion here about riding in any sort of condition and carrying any reasonable amount of things.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-25-20 at 06:08 PM.