Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Customizing New Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Customizing New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 04:04 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Customizing New Bike

There's another thread going about the horrors of being FORCED to use certain drivetrain components on a new, $10k USD bicycle. Several people mentioned how it should be simple to swap out the unwanted drivetrain components for more desirable components, but then a couple people mentioned that their LBS charges significant money for this. It got me wondering: what have you people experienced when asking the LBS to swap out new parts on a new bike? Specifically, how were the cost of the new parts and the labor cost handled, and what happened to the removed OEM parts?

It seems to me that if the LBS is making me pay for the new bike as-is, pay for the new parts I want installed, and pay for the labor to change things, then I should walk away with my new bike configured how I want it, plus the parts that I paid the LBS to remove. In fact, unless the LBS gave me either some form of credit or actual money for the removed parts of the new bicycle, they would be scamming me by keeping the parts they removed. Is this consistent with anyone else's experience? Do you typically get the removed parts of your bicycle back after you pay your LBS to swap them out for preferred components? The way people were talking in the other thread, it sounds like some folks never see their removed bike parts again, which makes their LBS seem pretty shady (assuming they didn't reduce labor charges or something like that to compensate).

I have rarely used the LBS for anything, since I got into bikes by first taking classes & volunteering at my local Co-Op. So I don't really have experience dealing with a bike shop for new bikes. The closest experience that might be relevant here was getting new tires for my car, keeping one of the old tires (to make a full-size spare), and then having to argue with the shop for trying to charge me for disposal of 4 tires.
Old 08-25-20, 05:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
A friend bought a new bike and wanted a different crank. The shop procured and installed the new crank at no extra charge. They kept the OEM crank. The cranks were same series, just different chainring configuration. I'm only familiar with that one instance but I feel sure if you buy a different part and pay for installation the shop will give you the OEM part. If they wanted to keep it they would likely give you a price break on the alternate part. What bike are you getting and what do you want substituted?
Old 08-25-20, 05:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I've only ever swapped a stem for a different length. It was done free of charge.
Old 08-25-20, 07:17 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
At that price point, and perhaps any other, I would expect that if the parts swap was an upgrade, they'd change them out for the difference in retail, or there about. They would keep the OEM part.

Glenn
Old 08-25-20, 09:22 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
A long time ago I bought a Schwinn Fastback at Performance Bike. It was $500 in the Thanksgiving sales. I had never had a triple on a road bike before and asked if they could do a swap out for me. They said no.

Within a couple of months of buying the bike I was very glad of having the Triple.
Old 08-26-20, 06:11 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I got a new cx bike several years ago - had the saddle and brakes changed out - I think they charged me for the saddle but the brakes were free.
Old 08-26-20, 10:21 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Recently posted about changing cassette to 11-34 from 11-30 on a new Bianchi from LBS. Required cassette, chain and RDR to ne replaced. Did it for $199 and gave me the parts with the bike when I picked it up. Seemed reasonable to me as I may go back some day.
Old 08-26-20, 11:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've only ever swapped a stem for a different length. It was done free of charge.
I've changed the stem on every bike I've had. A 58 generally fits well, it's perfect for me legs, but it always comes with a 110. I'm more comfortable on a 90 mm, and it makes the steering a little more immediate which I like.

Generally if I'm buying a bike the shop is happy to give me a take off stem, I had one place insist I accept a 100 mm also, so I could dial the fit in as I got used to the steed.

When it's wheels, you get a bad deal, the trade in value for the ones that came with the bike is very very low. Better to just keep them for spares or to beat up on rough roads.
Old 08-27-20, 01:21 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I did it on my last bike, getting ready to do it again on my new bike (in fact, my new bike arrived today, now just waiting for the new groupset). Both times, my LBS gave me trade in credit for the takeoff parts, which reduced the cost of the upgraded groupset.

I would never even entertain a scenario where I didn't get credit, or get the takeoff parts back. As the OP mentioned, you're paying for those parts as part of the initial purchase, they're yours. If it's something simple like a longer stem (but the same stem, not an upgrade), then I wouldn't expect any change to the cost.
Old 08-27-20, 03:00 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Build your own bikes and this isn't an issue.

You'll save so much time and money.

Seriously. It's mind blowing that people will leave their bikes for 5-6 days and pay 100 dollars plus to have their bike wiped down and a derailleur barrel adjuster turned a few times and a headset spacer removed.
Old 08-27-20, 03:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
In 2003 we bought a new Honda Accord. They offered it in silver with a black interior and dark blue with a tan interior. My wife anted silver but hates black because it shows lint, so she asked to get silver with tan. The sales person explained that that's they way they come so she asked if they can just switch the two.

She just didn't understand.
Old 08-27-20, 03:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Buy a Trek.Project One.
Old 08-27-20, 03:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Brought a Cannondale SuperX which had a 11-28 and wanted an 11-32. The lbs swapped it along with a longer derailleur for FREE.

Imagine that.
Old 08-29-20, 10:05 PM
TSawyerLV

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Build your own bikes and this isn't an issue.

You'll save so much time and money.

Seriously. It's mind blowing that people will leave their bikes for 5-6 days and pay 100 dollars plus to have their bike wiped down and a derailleur barrel adjuster turned a few times and a headset spacer removed.
Is it really cheaper? I am intrigued, but it seems like everything but the frame will cost more because one person isn’t buying in bulk.
Old 08-30-20, 10:36 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by TSawyerLV
Is it really cheaper? I am intrigued, but it seems like everything but the frame will cost more because one person isn’t buying in bulk.
Yeah. Labor is very expensive. Usually parts at the LBS are more expensive than you can find online, too. I routinely see 50% more expensive chains, tubes, etc.
Old 08-30-20, 10:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Again, folks could be better on topic if OP would reveal what he is buying and what he wants changed.