Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What cycling computers interface with the Bontrager DuoCrap?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 10:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I can't believe the bike was bought for the DuoTrap. Nor was the bike bought for the tires which probably cost more than the DuoTrap.

So it's really pointless in many ways to be placing blame on others or the bike shop because of a misunderstanding of what an item was the came on their bike as part of the standard equipment for that model.

I don't wish to offend the OP, but evidently they are a newb in the world of gps cyclometers and fitness sensors. There is a learning curve.

As for the term they used to describe DuoTrap, I thought that pretty childish for someone I imagine as a senior my age. But I've probably done as bad some where else.
Old 09-03-20, 11:03 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So it's really pointless in many ways to be placing blame on others or the bike shop because of a misunderstanding of what an item was the came on their bike as part of the standard equipment for that model.
I don't think the Duotrap sensors come standard.
Old 09-04-20, 05:23 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
On the issue of being judgmental: it should be clear that my post about civility was directed at being nasty to PEOPLE. We don't owe the same duties of consideration to companies. (And anyway, if we're going to play nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-NYA-nyah semantics, "DuoCrap" was part of a binary question, which means it could not have been a judgment.)

True, I didn't buy the bikes for the DuoTrap. I was never complaining (in this post) about Trek. Their customer service has been pretty decent.

As for "the OP being a newb," the OP/Newb admitted he was indeed a Newb at the technology. Amazing insight on your part to reduce what I openly stated.

Yes, I knew the bike didn't have a computer display. The LBS guys- -two of them, separately-- told me and my wife (two of us, separately) that the display was our phones. By the time we bought, both Strava and MMR had both discontinued their DuoTrap connections and that had been extended discuss here and in the cycling mags. There was no way to test this in the store.

This hasn't been going on "weeks." It's been months. But I had to make sure that I was operating it correctly. Then that it wasn't our phones. Then I needed to check with Strava and MMR to find out the problem. THEN with you guys. Eventually--largely through this string--I figured out the problem was a conjunction of missinformation by the LBS and my misunderstanding.

Flame me if you it makes you feel good. Don't make me no nevermind.

But many thanks to the folks here who have been helpful in offering solutions which I am pursuing (for weeks!).
Old 09-04-20, 06:52 AM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would also make sure you have the DuoTap sensor. It may just be DuoTrap ready. In 2017 I bought a high end Trek and it just had a dummy installed. Had to buy the actual sensor.
Old 09-04-20, 12:53 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
On the issue of being judgmental: it should be clear that my post about civility was directed at being nasty to PEOPLE. We don't owe the same duties of consideration to companies. (And anyway, if we're going to play nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-NYA-nyah semantics,
No one was being nasty (that's just being melodramatic). No one here "owes" anybody else here anything. Anyway, your lack of consideration to companies is the result of your ignorance (it doesn't appear you have any basis for that lack of consideration).

"DuoCrap" was part of a binary question, which means it could not have been a judgment.)
No, it was part of you not knowing what you were talking about.

Flame me if you it makes you feel good. Don't make me no nevermind.
Get over yourself. The point is that you aren't doing any of the work (research) here that you claim you routinely do. And, all your problems are due to other people (people here, Trek, the bikeshop).

Don't be so helpless.

I'm considering the possibility that I misunderstood (thanks to my bike shop) what the DuoCrap is. If it's just a sensor, does anyone have a Bluetooth connected bike computer (you know, mounted on your handlebars, not on your watch or phone) that actually reads the data that the duotrap puts out?
This is my first new bike in the wireless era, so when the bike store told me it was a cycling computer, I though of those old wireless plastic computers on my handlebars
Yes, I knew the bike didn't have a computer display. The LBS guys- -two of them, separately-- told me and my wife (two of us, separately) that the display was our phones. By the time we bought, both Strava and MMR had both discontinued their DuoTrap connections and that had been extended discuss here and in the cycling mags. There was no way to test this in the store.
So, the LBS didn't tell you it was a cycling computer.

But it's hard to know what you don't know. Usually I research the hell out of anything In buying- -.
You could have done the research before creating this thread. It seems you still haven't done any research.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-04-20 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-07-20, 04:44 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Don't be so helpless. … So, the LBS didn't tell you it was a cycling computer. … You could have done the research before creating this thread. It seems you still haven't done any research.
But now I have done some research. On you. And why you threw so much abusive attitude here. Now I get it. I'll let you have the last word, since that's clearly the most important thing for you.
Old 09-07-20, 04:50 PM
njkayaker

But now I have done some research. On you. And why you threw so much abusive attitude here. Now I get it. I'll let you have the last word, since that's clearly the most important thing for you.
That's five minutes of your life you will never get back.

Have you fixed your problem yet?

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-07-20 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 01:38 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by dindoosl
As I mentioned in your other post my son has had one on his bike for quite a few years and I don't know that he's ever had any problems with it. He uses a Garmin 820 and a Vivosmart HR with it.
There's no problem with the Duotrap. The problem is that the user doesn't know what he is doing (and blaming Trek and the bicycle shop).