Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huret dropout with Crane derailleur?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-23-20, 07:52 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts

So: I have a Raleigh Competition frame which has a Huret derailleur hanger. Based on reading around in this forum, I sourced a Shimano Crane rear derailleur--- thinking that it would fit once I'd run a 10mm tap through the threads.

Did all that. However, the various tabs and limit stops on the Crane derailleur don't seem to allow it to fit onto the Huret dropout. It almost looks as if I would need to file a notch into the dropout in roughly the 2 o'clock position, to allow one of the tabs on the derailleur to slot next to the dropout.

Again, searching around seems to show some Schwinns with modified rear hangers showing just such a notch to enable rebranded Crane derailleurs to fit.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

N
Likes For no67el:
Old 09-23-20, 08:05 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Yes, that has to be done. And often either Shimano Crane in the era, or SunTour VGT were the common replacements for failed Huret derailleurs gone wrong. Not unusual to see bikes with Huret dropouts so altered.
Old 09-23-20, 09:22 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts
How about picking up an old Huret Duopar ECO and not hacking up the dropout? You can run as wide a gear ratio spread as a Shimano Crane will handle with a Duopar.
Old 09-23-20, 09:34 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
I have a bike with the dropout modified by a PO. They drilled and tapped the edge of the dropout for an M4 cap screw in the position for the RD stop. It works fine.
Old 09-24-20, 04:49 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Huret Dropouts

A picture is worth a thousand guesses....

no67el , et al

The proprietary Huret dropouts had the forward travel stop at 4:00 O'clock. Campy compatible hangers have stops at 7:00 O'clock.

The neck of the Huret hanger was thick enough so that Simplex derailleurs wouldn't fit without some slight modification to the hanger. The threads in the hangers were 10mm x 1mm so most derailleurs with a universal mounting bolt could screw in to the hole. Campy 10mm x 26 TPI bolts are so close to 1mm pitch that they're almost identical.

In 1961 Simplex introduced the travel stop tab design that fits over the front of the hanger. Over time the design was was copied by most derailleur makers including Shimano. Crane RDs have this feature.

A Crane RD may or may not fit on a Huret dropout without any modification. I'll have to dig out a 1974 Moto Grand Jubile frame that I have that has Huret dropouts and check it out.

Eventually Huret made some dropouts that had a notch for the stop tab. I've never seen one in the steel but here's a picture.

By 1977 Huret was making dropouts to the Campy style de facto world standard.

The early Suntour VGT derailleurs shift a little better than the Crane GS but the Shimano derailleurs have a more solid feel.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-24-20 at 04:54 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 09-24-20, 07:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Schwinn modified Huret dropouts to work with Shimano derailleurs by cutting a notch between 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock to accommodate the Shimano stop tab. The modification does not prevent a Huret derailleur from being mounted, but a Campagnolo-type derailleur is still unable to work without further modification. This is on a Sports Tourer frame:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
huret-do-schwinn-mod.jpg (147.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-24-20, 07:41 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
The early Suntour VGT derailleurs shift a little better than the Crane GS but the Shimano derailleurs have a more solid feel.
Well now I'm going to have to rebuild a bike with my Crane-

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-24-20, 10:06 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Thanks Chas and JohnDThompson--- that's exactly what I was struggling with: the travel stop tab on the Shimano Crane derailleur (which Chas shows so well in his post) won't fit over the Huret dropout on my Raleigh Competition without modification. The modification I think I need is to file a notch or a slot in the dropout, just like the modified Schwinn dropout JohnDThompson shows.

Thank you all! I think I can just use a flat file to notch the dropout, and a bit of paint afterward.... I've already run the 10mm x 1.0 mm tap through the threads.

Cheers to you all.

N
Old 09-24-20, 12:27 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Huret Hanger Threads

Originally Posted by no67el
Thanks Chas and JohnDThompson--- that's exactly what I was struggling with: the travel stop tab on the Shimano Crane derailleur (which Chas shows so well in his post) won't fit over the Huret dropout on my Raleigh Competition without modification. The modification I think I need is to file a notch or a slot in the dropout, just like the modified Schwinn dropout JohnDThompson shows.

Thank you all! I think I can just use a flat file to notch the dropout, and a bit of paint afterward.... I've already run the 10mm x 1.0 mm tap through the threads.

N
No problema...

Not sure why you needed to run a tap through the hole except to clean up the threads??? The hangers are already tapped 10mm x 1mm.

Simplex dropouts have an unthreaded 9mm hole. You can run a 10mm x 1mm tap through the hole and most RDs with a tab will fit with no further modification.

Best part is Simplex RDs will still mount because the minor diameter of a 10m x 1mm thread is 9mm...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)